Suggestions for new Langster rear wheel?

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited July 2008 in Road general
Hi there,

I have somehow damaged my rear hub on my Alex rims and its not worth changing them out.

Would rather just upgrade/

Has anyone got any suggestions for a good rear or set?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

ps. desperate to get back on the road

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I think that these

http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/e ... t=WHHAATKD

LOOk good - but I've no idea as to quality!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'd probably get one built (or do it yourself)

a 32 spoke open-pro on even a fairly cheap hubset (like the Miche ones) will be much lighter than most of the readily available factory ones.

(never thought I'd hear myself say that - I am a true "factory wheel nut" in geared-land)
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I built CXP33 rims onto Goldtech hubs for mine and I am getting on very well with them. I used 28 plain gauge spokes laced cross two, and cranked the spoke tension up to 1200N. The resulting wheels are light and very responsive - they suit the nature of the bike very well. (I wouldn't normally consider less than 32 spokes for road wheel but being undished, fixie wheels are inherently stronger.)
  • demmerson
    demmerson Posts: 91
    On-One have sets of track/fixed wheels on offer at £99. http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... rance.html
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Those are the stock pompino wheels - they'll be a bit 'agricultural' compared to a nice handbuilt set as they're quite wide rims to accommodate a range of tyre sizes.
  • Noel PT
    I'd love to build my own wheels!
    My only concern is the equipment needed. Is it expensive and how difficult is it?

Always up for a new challenge!
  • demmerson
    Graham G wrote:
    Those are the stock pompino wheels - they'll be a bit 'agricultural' compared to a nice handbuilt set as they're quite wide rims to accommodate a range of tyre sizes.
    They aren't the same as the stock wheels on my 2007 Pompino.
  • meagain
    "the equipment needed. Is it expensive "

A fiver for a spoke key is the on;y ESSENTIAL

"and how difficult is it?"

Not very - can't be, I've done it!
    d.j.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    demmerson wrote:
    Graham G wrote:

In that case I'll just say that they aren't 'bargainous' enough to warrant going for over hand (or home!) built wheels.
  • gkerr4
    Graham G wrote:
    demmerson wrote:
    Graham G wrote:

In that case I'll just say that they aren't 'bargainous' enough to warrant going for over hand (or home!) built wheels.

plus they are tubulars - not exactly ideal for a road based 'fixed'
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you could build one onto a 6-bolt disk hub and use one of those funky bolt on 6-bolt cogs, much better fixing method.
  • Noel PT
    How can you be sure the wheel is true? I was under the impression you needed to use a special tool or thing that you spin the wheel on?

I think I might give it a go with my existing wheel and a new hub. If I screw it up then its not gonna cost the earth.

Always the the skeptic..... :shock:
  • Noel PT
    you lost me at 6 bolts....

but it sounds great, whatever it is you're talking about.

I'll google it!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you can use a frame a zip ties in lieu of a truing stand, the main thing is to take your time, of course dishing can't really be done, so it is best to build a zero dish wheel!
  • meagain
    you can use a frame a zip ties in lieu of a truing stand, the main thing is to take your time, of course dishing can't really be done, so it is best to build a zero dish wheel!

Yup, use the frame as a stand. Ties or just pencil/kebab sticks held in place with blutac as "markers". Patience is the key - dishing just requires even more! In fact for a dished wheel a lot of benefit in building IN the intended frame.
    d.j.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You could buy a ridiculous-looking powder yellow deep section "ooh I'm a funky courier" wheel which looks ridiculous on your brown Langster, like the guy who parks outside my office has done.
  • Noel PT
    Dishing....great another thing to google! :roll:
  • demmerson
    gkerr4 wrote:
    plus they are tubulars - not exactly ideal for a road based 'fixed'
    The ones I was referring to are clincher not tubs.
  • gkerr4
    oh yes - there are clinchers just a bit further down.

sorry.. :oops:
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    Profile do rear hubs that work on Langsters, frightenly expensive and loud as hell.
    I went for one of these www.ison-distribution.com/ison/english/ ... t=HUSURSTK on open pro rims, when my back wheel fell apart. If your riding freewheel, try www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?produc ... gory_id=16 as these are designed for trials use so are good and strong.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • kildare
    kildare Posts: 35
    Try this lot-42mm chainline which is I think what the Langster will have:

http://www.outspokencycles.co.uk/index. ... ca8f53b2b1.

I went for the Miche Promato LF hubs on Mavic Open Pro. They built them up very quickly and are a great improvement on the wheels my Pompino came with. Excellent service and communication from them also.
  • robbarker
    Noel PT wrote:
    I'd love to build my own wheels!
    My only concern is the equipment needed. Is it expensive and how difficult is it?

Always up for a new challenge!

It's not difficult - you just need confidence, patience and, IMHO, the right tools for the job.

If you are thinking of dipping your toe in the water, go to www.wheelpro.co.uk and buy Roger Musson's ebook. It tells you everything you need to know.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/e ... t=WHHAATKD

I've just got one of those, what sprockets do I need for the hubs?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    one of these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ProductLi ... ootCatID=1

Probably the shimano one really - the miche have (I believe) a slightly dfferent thread
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    robbarker wrote:
    I built CXP33 rims onto Goldtech hubs for mine and I am getting on very well with them. I used 28 plain gauge spokes laced cross two, and cranked the spoke tension up to 1200N. The resulting wheels are light and very responsive - they suit the nature of the bike very well. (I wouldn't normally consider less than 32 spokes for road wheel but being undished, fixie wheels are inherently stronger.)

How do you know what tension you have applied to a spoke?

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • robbarker
    I build with a tensiometer.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've got a pair of the Halo Aeroage wheels on order. Should have them by August so if you are still undecided in 2 weeks time or so, drop me a pm and if I have got my wheels I'll be happy to share my early opinions of them. Of course this means that I will have a pair of wheels for sale, they are from my Pearson Touche and are in fine fettle. I'm only upgrading for cosmetic reasons! http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/product/2503/PEARSON_TOUCHE_FIXED_WHEEL_2008
  • meagain
    " I will have a pair of wheels for sale"

If you flag 'em up on here in due course, I might well be interested!
    d.j.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got the Aerorage rear wheel and it seems pretty good quality - not ridden it yet though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr