today i rode 28 miles, but

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
hi all!

today i rode, from prestatyn to rhos on sea, (about 14 miles each way), was ok apart from the rain!

but on 2 on the steep uphill bridge climbs, i was totaly worn out, had to walk the bike,

now i have only had a bike for 4 weeks, am 38 , very unfit, losing weight ( was 15.5 now 14 and dropping)

doing about 20 to 28 miles on rides each week on flat seafront/canel paths, would it be better to go on more hilly stuff or carry on the flat stuff?

:)
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    I'd mix it up a bit. It doesn't need to be 28 miles on hilly stuff in the beginning.
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    As dyls said, it doesn't have to be all the same stuff! Maybe try saving yourself on the flat bits, pootle along enjoying the scenery - but then really attack the climbs and make sure that you get to the top - then once you're over the top and knackered, keep rolling but gently pedalling so you're getting your breath back without totally stopping - a bit like walking for a little while during a run to get some puff back.
    I read somewhere that sometimes a series of short sprints of energy can be more effective than a long period of steady exercise, so try and get some good sharp sprints into the ride if you can - there's gotta be one or two fun bits that you can enjoy flat out!
    More than anything though, go for some variety. Explore a little to keep the interest up. When i got into biking I was all keen but after a few months of commuting the same 12 miles each way I got bored and started driving again. Now I'm working rather than at college, the knobbly tyres are back on so I can go back to off-roading and I'm riding more and more now!

All the best and keep it up!
    Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.