Around Maidenhead - is there anything which isn't flat?!?

pete236
pete236 Posts: 204
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
Morning all!

I've not spent much time on my bike recently mainly due to A-levels and a house move, but am getting the bug much more than ever before. Loads of new bits on their way, so I'm just scouting round to find places to try 'em out!
Live just inside Maidenhead (on the Reading side) and was wondering if there was anything reasonably close that would make a change from the commute to Langley!
I think I saw a similar thread but couldn't find it again, so apologies for the re-post.

I've heard that Ashley and Bowsey hills are worth a look and that there are some trails around Cookham Dean and Marlow - trouble is i'm still horribly unfit so the return journey would be torture! While its wet and muddy I won't be able to use my sisters car (the bike fits in the back but mud on the seats won't be welcome!) so I guess until I've got some stamina back I'm severely limited!

Anyways, any local knowledge would be very much appreciated!
All the best, Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.

Comments

• hi mate i'm in maidenhead i here there are some runs on winters hill and quarry hill
    i am doing dsome building at knowl hill soon with a dirt style bowl and a pump track for those evening blast in the summer
    pm me if you wan t
    jason
    aso in the summer i ride swinley with others and i have a rack so could take you aswell
    look at this site it might help
    www.southernfreerider.co.uk
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Bracknell Forest is worth a look.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • pete236
    hi mate i'm in maidenhead i here there are some runs on winters hill and quarry hill
    i am doing dsome building at knowl hill soon with a dirt style bowl and a pump track for those evening blast in the summer
    pm me if you wan t
    jason
    aso in the summer i ride swinley with others and i have a rack so could take you aswell
    look at this site it might help
    www.southernfreerider.co.uk

Thanks for that Jason! I know a guy who live near Winter Hill so might b able to use his place as a rest stop! Will get out over there and take a look asap.
    Whereabouts are you doing the building at Knowl Hill? Theres that place by the A4 opposite the pub (I think its the 4 horseshoes?) but I saw that was all knocked down months ago - there were some pretty impressive jumps in there!
    Might take you up on that offer of going to Swinley - have heard its quite good down there. Will have to get out and get fit first though! Don't want to hold anyone up!
    Cheers again!
    All the best, Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • hey!
    I'm kind of in a similar boat. live in the area, and have recently (just before Christmas) switched from bmx riding to mtb. Over Christmas i blitzed what i could find in the area. Bowsey and Ashley hills are on my doorstep, and seem best used as part of a wider route. there's nothing that technical around there, but apparently Ashley hill is the 2nd highest hill in Berkshire, and being a relatively flat county its good for some fitness.

Swinley forest is definitely a must. being fairly new to trail riding, this was my first real experience. first off it's a maze, so finding a knowledgeable local is helpful. i went on my own, but soon tagged along with 3 other guys who had been there several times. what impressed me was the range of single track, and how accommodating it all was different levels of rider. I'm not sure how more experienced riders would rate Swinley forest in terms of difficulty, but having ridden bmx for 6 yrs i found it fairly comfortable, but really enjoyable.

a loop round the West of Henley is worth a look. round Stoner way, Christmas common and down to Watlington. some good Chiltern single track, with decent degree of up and downs. i found a route on http://www.summitmtb.co.uk/ (wycombe mtb group) and adapted it a bit.

I'm at uni at the moment, but looking forward to exploring places around Cookham Dean, Winters hill and areas around Marlow.

In relation to the jumps at knowl hill. i used to ride bmx there regularly for several years, and was gutted when they were knocked down. the amount of bmx riding i did dropped after they were flattened.
    a word of warning, i know of the guy who flattened them and if something was built there again i wouldn't be surprised if they are met with the same response. partly why nothing has been built there for over a year. although if it was some kind of trail or something (anything more subtle than 6ft high jumps) then it may be alright, if kept low key.

i'm looking forward to the spring for more home area riding, preferably with imporved fitness too!
  • Great Post........ I moved to Maidenhead in May last year and have only been riding round hear once as found no decent mtb stuff, thought it was a lost cause!! So been riding Swinley ever since, is wicked to know there are a few places to ride on the door step.

Dont really recognise any of the palce names round M'head tho....... Is anyone up for meeting up for a ride sometime? I can try and pay back by guiding around Swinley?
  • pete236
    Hi there, how you doing?
    There's not much around here, thats for certain, but there are a few places I've found recently after a bit of exploring!

Maidenhead thicket (the woods each side of the A4 near the big roundabout with the dual carriageway) has a few hidden gems. On the South side there is a bomb hole which has a few jumps in and around it - recently they've been made a bit stupid which is a shame. If you do a complete lap of the perimeter it makes a short XC route even if it is flat!

On the North side, its much bigger. Slightly uphill as you go away from the road and its enough to bring out a sweat if you push hard enough. I've not had time to really explore over there, but with all the over crossing paths theres scope to have a passable XC blast and with a few lumps and bumps about theres a little fun to be had.

Not had a chance to ride Ashley Hill yet - got to the top once but picked up a lump of glass with my rear tyre! Even the Thicket is 20mins of road work from home so don't get out there much.
    Would be great to meet up for a ride sometime, but I've hardly done any off roading and I don't want to hold anyone back!
    Glad to hear there are a few others around here - was beginning to think it was all roadies!

All the best, Pete.

• Thanks for the heads up Pete, will check out the thicket!

Yeah def up for meeting up for a ride sometime........... can do either weekends or weekdays at mo? Let me know time / place!

I've been pretty slack for bout 6 months, so wont be setting any type of pace! I've done most of my riding on my own recently, as I don't know anyone round this way whos up for riding, would be wicked to meet up.

Laters!!

Ben
  • Ive just come across this thread (a bit late admittedly!).
    I too was wondering if there was any riding in Maidenhead, I saw the jumps at Knowl Hill and guessed that they had been flattened by locals as they are quite obvious.

I found some more around Pinkneys Green, just by the roads to Winter Hill and the woods on the way to Marlow, but again these looked flattened/abandoned.

Also went to Swinley on the weekend for the first time, was impressed by the size it covers but did not have a clue where I was going, spent most of the time lost there!

If anyone fancies riding around Maidenhead in the evenings (as it is now lighter) or trips to Swinley (especially if you know your way around!) let me know, would be nice to have somebody to ride with rather than riding on my own all the time!
  • Hello Mate

I would def be up for a ride sometime, I know Swinley pretty well, however your right its massive and there's loads i haven't riden! But would be up for a ride sometime??

If your on facebook check out the group 'Swinley Forest Moutain Bikers (the lookout)', they often post rides at weekends, although i've not had a chance to go on one yet.

I am free most evenings so yeah would be up for a wk night ride or early morn wkend sometime, give me a shout if your free! I live in Mhead so can either ride round here or hit Swinley?

Cheers
  • Ok cool, cheers for that mate. Ill PM you my email address
  • adover
    adover Posts: 130
    only just found this post, but I'm from maidenhead, there aint anywhere good to ride to be honest apart from huckin it down winter hill which is short lived but amusing. Wanna do some work to fernley if anyone's up for it, been meaning to do it for ages - all the jumps there are for mx boys, and theyew impossible to clear! PM if u wanna go on rides etc!
  • pete236
    Just as a bit of an update - the jumps in the woods on the way from Pinkeys Green to Cookham Dean are in use still thought not that well tended, There's not much there for anyone who's a novice like me but a decent jumper could have fun. I'm concentrating on Winter hill at the moment and there's some promising runs there. So far I've not had time for a long enough run to really explore. Waiting for a weekend when I'm no actually busy!

Now I've finally got used to the routine of work I reckon i could manage a few gentle hours in an evening - anyone free on a friday night for a few hours? Monday Tuesday and Wednesday are out but possibly thursday and deffo Friday I can take time off for a few hours! So, if anyone wants a gentle ride let me know - I'd be great to go along with someone rather than going solo for a change!

All the best, Pete.