Wheel rattle after 1st ride

Hornetto
Hornetto Posts: 141
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Got my new Specialized Allez Sport last week and have only had the chance to take it out for a quick 12 mile ride so far. Really enjoyed it though - the bike is lovely and I'm looking forward to getting more miles under my belt in the coming weeks.

However, when I got home I did a quick check of the bike, which included lifting the front wheel a couple of inches off the floor and dropping it, expecting a sturdy 'thunk'. However, I got an odd vibration-type rattle, which appeared to come from the wheel.

Any ideas what this could be? A loose spoke or something loose in the hub? Anyone else had a similar sort of thing?
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    sounds like your headset could be a bit loose or your getting a bit of rattle from the cables hitting the frame
    cartoon.jpg
  • Hornetto
    It's definitely not cable rattle against the frame, it's more a buzzing vibration sound (probably didn't describe it very well!). I'll check the headset, though. That was my initial thought but I was confused that the sound seemed to be coming from the wheel. Didn't have enough time to start fiddling about with it after my ride as I had to go out.

Cheers for the advice. I'll check when I get home.
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    its the little washer around the bottom of the valve?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Hornetto
    Doobz wrote:
    its the little washer around the bottom of the valve?
    That was it! Cheers!