Small sized (warm) sleeping bag for touring

Pekka
Pekka Posts: 119
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
I just dumped my sleeping bag. I liked it because it packed up in a small size. It was, however, cold. OK for the Med but my recent LEJOG showed its weaknesses. Can anyone suggest a sleeping bag that is warm, comfortable, and is small in size?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I bought a sleeping bag and silk liner from Decathlon. Cost about £50 total and would be warm enough for British Spring/Summer/Autumn.
    More problems but still living....
  • Go Outdoors have a selection of Mountain Hardware bags (+ others) which pack up into a tiny bag! I've just bought one for a trip to Spain and its rated at +7degs. They do one thats rated for 0degs which isn't too much bigger. Their a bit pricey ~ £80 but well worth it for the space you save.

Kirsty
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I'd suggest either the
    Alpkit Pipedream 400 £110, -3 comfort, 750g, 21x20cm pack size

or the

Alpkit Skyehigh 400, £65, +3 comfort, 1020g, 21x23cm pack size

depending on budget
  • i'd go for something cheaper and buy a liner or sleeping in jogging bottoms and jumper.
    i'd go the coleman bambusa light, under £20 on ebay, plus liner for erm... £10-15 from somwhere, then again it all depends on budget, i pinch pennies so for me this seems good, i have the bambusa but have only used it once on hot day so far and seems great.
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    edited July 2008
    Just got a new bag made of Goose Down rated -3C but I didn't overheat in it when the temp. was 18C. Weighs very little (<1kg) and packs small. Cost £120.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Goose down every time ! There isn't a substitute known to man that can equal it .
    The only con , other than expense , is that it's pretty hopeless when wet . Will scrunch up to sod all pack size , weighs very little and keeps you warm when you need it . Probably worth having a couple of bags ; one for summer ; one for winter . The summer weight will keep you going into autumn or to early winter if you dress accordingly for the night . I have full length zips on both my bags to prevent overheating and am glad I made that choice . Bag liners I don't bother with ( makes for an uncomfortable night ) . If the bag starts to stink after many uses , well , it's ' my stink ' . Down bags can be hand washed ( but not too often ) .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Does this advice apply for camping at campsites in the Alps in the summer? Usually quite warm in the valleys in the summer, even at night. However, my experience of summer in the Alps has always been indoors and not camping. Any thoughts?
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have one of these fine down to fairly cold, if it gets a lot colder then use a liner/bivi bag to top up the warmth.
  • mercsport
    Special K wrote:
    Does this advice apply for camping at campsites in the Alps in the summer? Usually quite warm in the valleys in the summer, even at night. However, my experience of summer in the Alps has always been indoors and not camping. Any thoughts?

If up a European alp in summer - depends on altitude - a summer weight down bag will suffice . If it does seem chilly , then put some clothes on to pass the night on . Mountain / rock climbers and aged bums like me bivi thus .
    A 3/4 size 'Thermarest' is a worthwhile luxury that is worth lugging along .
  • heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    Mountain Equipment Llightline - not the cheapest but small and warm
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    On the same Alpine tour, I've had to melt the ice off the zip to get out the tent (Val d'Isere), and had it still 30°C at 2am a week later (Menton).

I use a full zip down bag rated to about 0°C, plus a silk liner. It does for most spring/summer/autumn tours.
    (currently a PHD Minim 300, from the sale)
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.buachaille.com/p2976-3-26/Do ... m-400.html

I have one of these. It is the warmest lightest best bag I have had.Not cheap, though.But a few comfortable nights will make the cost seem bearable per night. the rab summit 300 is much cheaper but not water resistant

A previous down bag, now 30years old, is still usable although not so warm after being washed many times.
    The british army arctic sleeping bag is about 80gbp but weighs about 2.5kg.It is very warm and tough though.
    I reckon that man made fibre bags weigh almost double the downs for the performance, but they probably are tougher and warmer when soaked.

A minus 5deg rating is not overkill unless you always get nice weather (camping with me is not like that). Even then a clear sky can drop the temperature surprisingly low.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    i forgot to say mine is pertex endurance covered. I have not stressed it yet and cannot compare it with the ordinary type anyway.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • mercsport
    I keep getting reminded of this thread !
    Yes , mines a Rab too . The lightest there is I think . ME's 'Lightline' would be good too , a little heavier but with more loft .
    As I think about it , and mentioned in previous post , the 'Thermarest' is an adjunct to dossing I wouldn't do without nowadays . http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=42&cID=1
    Not sure why they bother with a full length version though as it's almost wholly unnecessary . The 'small' is just right to keep your torso off the deck .