Kitting out a Kona Jake

malakal
malakal Posts: 7
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
Planning first tour in France and trying to kit out my Kona Jake for the job.

Picked up a couple of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics cheap (63 quid!) in Germany and now trying to figure out if it is possible to put a bar bag on the handle bars without obstructing the two secondary break-leavers (i.e. where you put your hands in he upright riding position). Does anyone have any advice about which brands of bike bag would fit without obstructing the leavers? Is it actually impossible?

Also, is 40-ish liters is enough carrying capacity for a sparten 10 day summer camping tour, assuming I'll be picking up food on a daily basis and the tent'll be strapped on top of the rack?
(I would do a test pack, but I'm in Germany and my bike and kit are currently in England). Or should I be scrapping the camping idea and looking at cheap hostels / Gites instead?

Any advice would be a great help!

Comments

• tarpaullynn
    tarpaullynn Posts: 146
    You can buy handlebar extensions that would move your bag away from the brake levers.

I have one for my lights as my handlebars are quite curvy and the lights go on wonky.

They are available from wiggle and most other bike shops.

Click below for examples.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Lights_-_Spares/
    Tarpaullynn
  • malakal
    Ah, hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't think those handlebar extensions are up to the weight of a bar bag. I could be wrong, but I'd always thought they were designed solely for lights and such things. I have a minoura thing and it certanily isn't up to carrying a bar bag.
    More problems but still living....
  • Magnus Thor
    Magnus Thor Posts: 239
    If you are using an Ortlieb Handlebar Bag you can use an extension like this one:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Ortl ... -10755.htm

You can get similar ones for Carradice bags also.

Magnus Thor
    Iceland
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    40 litres is fine, I tour with a tent and sleeping mat on the top of the rack, small sleeping bag in one pannier, with Trangia cooker, clothes waterproofs etc. It all fits okay, not much space to spare but always enough to slip in the day's food and wine.
  • malakal
    Thanks for the info Alfablue, just as long as I don't end up having to lash a baguette to the top tube i'll probably manage with 40 litres it seems

As for the Ortielb extension bracket, I think it'd do the job, but my bank account can't take another hit from purchasing an Ortlieb product - i'll keep hunting for a cheeper alternative. but cheers anyway Magnus.
  • alfablue
    malakal wrote:
    Thanks for the info Alfablue, just as long as I don't end up having to lash a baguette to the top tube i'll probably manage with 40 litres it seems

As for the Ortielb extension bracket, I think it'd do the job, but my bank account can't take another hit from purchasing an Ortlieb product - i'll keep hunting for a cheeper alternative. but cheers anyway Magnus.

I always take a few extra Arno straps

P736.jpg so that I can strap extra's on to the top of the rack, it is amazing what you can pile on there if necessary. Last tour my rear rim split, I had to buy a new wheel and carry the old one on the rack for half the tour (so I could make a warranty claim when I got home).

arno.jpg
  • garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    You'll be fine Jakes make great lightwieght tourers..heres my Jake the Snake kitted out as such

4.jpg
  • malakal
    Nice set-up on the Snake! That is kinda the thing I had in mind. Tell me - did you remove the secondary break levers on the handlebars to accomodate the bar bag - or is there enough space - it seems pretty tight.

Also, what size tires are you running? The out-the-box knobblies on mine are 700 35C, but I was wondering how thin I could go without making the ride too harsh (and still fitting the rim). I've been eyeing the Schwalbe Marathon Plus - they do look pretty tasty and come in 35, 32 and 28 - would 28 even fit? I'm still slightly baffled by the whole tire labbelling system . . .

And those Arno straps are great ! - I've been using them for years - they keep getting nicked mind
  • alfablue
    If you have 35's at the moment then anything smaller (like 28's) should fit. The 35 number refers to width of the tyre in mm. Marathon Plus tyres have a slightly taller profile than other tyres due to the added puncture proof strip, still shouldn't be a problem though. They are reputedly a harsher ride than conventional tyres, but they have superb puncture protection. I tour with regular Schwalbe Marathon's - no punctures to date.
  • garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    malakal wrote:
    Nice set-up on the Snake! That is kinda the thing I had in mind. Tell me - did you remove the secondary break levers on the handlebars to accomodate the bar bag - or is there enough space - it seems pretty tight.

Also, what size tires are you running? The out-the-box knobblies on mine are 700 35C, but I was wondering how thin I could go without making the ride too harsh (and still fitting the rim). I've been eyeing the Schwalbe Marathon Plus - they do look pretty tasty and come in 35, 32 and 28 - would 28 even fit? I'm still slightly baffled by the whole tire labbelling system . . .

And those Arno straps are great ! - I've been using them for years - they keep getting nicked mind

My model is an older one I think its a 2006 with Easton Superlight Taperwall tubing, it didn't come with the secondary levers, I raced it for a season of cross and didn't really think I needed the extra levers. Those tires in the picture are the Nokians it came with I think they are 35s..I'm running an old set of Michelin Muds at the moment they are 30's, If I'm sticking to tarmac and not useing bridelways and the like I Go with Bontrager Hardcase 25s or 28s...and the ride is fine, any 700c tyre should fit there is really good clearance on the frame and forks.
  • malakal
    Thanks for the tire breakdown. I've opted for some Schwalbe sizing 32, just so I can keep a bit of versatility in where I can ride. If they really don't work out for the road i'll have a go at 28's.

cheers!