Ultimate Cycling Destination In The UK

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
So where do I go for a week?
I am looking for somewhere with stunning scenery, challenging riding and as much solitude as possible!
exercise.png

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    North-west of Scotland!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • fto-si
    DaveyL wrote:
    North-west of Scotland!

Thanks DaveyL ... I had considered that. I take you have been? Any particular places?
    exercise.png
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    What about Snowdonia..
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Northumberland. Not as far as NW Scotland!

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fto-si wrote:
    I am looking for somewhere with stunning scenery, challenging riding and as much solitude as possible!

NY Moors...empty of cars, lovely scenery, and some of the most challenging terrain about...the York Dales are also very quiet along with North Wales...
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    My 2 weeks holiday this year are:

one week in Northwest Scotland
    one week split between the Peak District and North Yorks

I think my bike will be tired after that!
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Lake district , base - Coniston or Ambelside :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mathi wrote:
    Lake district , base - Coniston or Ambelside :)

Lakes are my favo area in all the world...but we must be truthful...very busy...lots of traffic on small roads and insane passes...the fella wants solitude.....
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I live in Kendal, and I think it must be hard to beat. You can ride in the Yorkshire Dales one day, out into the Lakes on another and then head out to the Bowland fells for a change. There's also some pretty good cycling country South of Kendal if you want a change from the hills.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    fto-si wrote:

NY Moors...empty of cars, lovely scenery, and some of the most challenging terrain about...the York Dales are also very quiet along with North Wales...

I always knew Richyboy knew his stuff!! +1 for the NY Moors from me. If it's quiet you want with great scenery then you can't go wrong. PM me if you want more info/routes.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

Thirded-Richyboy does know his stuff...base yourself at Leyburn or Richmond, and you have the NY Moors, Dales and if you really want to go to the Lakes, not too far away by car.
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • charliemil
    charliemil Posts: 15
    Scotland-all of it, Lake District,Peak District, Northumberland, Yorkshire Dales, Wales, and then there's Ireland.....!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    The Isle of Wight is good, but only 100km all around so perhaps a bit short.
  • fto-si
    There is a ride in this months Cycling Plus mag in the Brecon Beacons, the area looks just what I am looking for.
    Anyone cycled there? Tell me all about it please!
    exercise.png
  • I recommend the Eden Valley in Cumbria for solitude and scenery. It is not especially challenging for an experienced cyclist, but you could go for distance, rather than hills.

If you stay at Dufton Youth Hostel, there is a lockable bike shed and the home-cooked dinners are good value - usually there is a pasta option. And there is a pub opposite the hostel.

For more challenging riding, how about the Howgills? Stay in or near Sedbergh. Nice and hilly.
  • aya604
    aya604 Posts: 67
    fto-si wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    North-west of Scotland!

Thanks DaveyL ... I had considered that. I take you have been? Any particular places?

Did this last week

day 1 - Lairg to Tongue
    day 2 - Tongue to Scourie
    day 3 Scourie to Auchintubie
    day 4 Auchintubie to Dundonnel
    day 5 Dundonnel to Torridon
    day 6 Torridon to Kyle of Lochalsh
    day 7 Kyle to Glenuig
    day 8 Glenuig to Tobermory
    day 9 Tobermory to Oban

450 miles stunning and tough
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Departures lounge, Gatwick airport :wink:
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    I'd pitch in with the Scottish Borders, often overlooked. Both quiet and beautiful. and not as far as NW.
  • Iwill chuck one in here, whilst not saying dont try the any of the others, which I have done, but try around Sidmouth Seaton and Axemouth, some really quiet lanes and believe me the climbs, while short ,come thick and fast and will rip your lungs out, get round Branscombe area and 25% grads are the order of the day, but the local hosteleries make stopping a pleasure!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Iwill chuck one in here, whilst not saying dont try the any of the others, which I have done, but try around Sidmouth Seaton and Axemouth, some really quiet lanes and believe me the climbs, while short ,come thick and fast and will rip your lungs out, get round Branscombe area and 25% grads are the order of the day, but the local hosteleries make stopping a pleasure!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Aberystwyth.

Go east for the Elan Valley area and Plynlimon, take your mountain bike and have a day at Nant Yr Arian.

Go south into Ceredigion and north Pembrokeshire.

Go north to the southern reaches of Snowdonia and Cader Idris.