All road Coast to Coast

Nickodemus
Nickodemus Posts: 94
Does anyone know if there is a good coast to coast route that is purely on proper roads?

I've tried searching for something, but they always seem to have either off-road bits or 'tracks' which you wouldn't want to ride a road bike on?

Cheers,

Nick
"Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"

Comments

• Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    The original C2C (Whitehaven/Workington to Sunderland/Newcastle) can be done all on roads with a little creative route finding. You don't need to venture far from the official route. I have completed this several times and have seen many road specific bikes along the way. One bloke did it both ways over a weekend and still went quicker than us on our MTB's - :lol:
    The cycle paths that are used are generally in good nick and there are several signed road alternatives.
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I recently did it on a road bike over 2 days. The first main offroad bit is just after the whinlatter climb which is along pretty bumpy fire roads. I did it on my trek 5200 carbon road bike and it was pretty bone jarring.

You can easily skip this on the road, but if your careful (that doesnt mean slow) you can still do it on your road bike and adds extra climbs in.

There is a massive off road bit which you have to purposefully take. the road route is clearly marked on the map.

The laast section is along cycle track / sustrans route. most of the time it is fine, but it pissed down when I did it so it was really muddy. Apart froma filthy bike and a slow puncture I had to nurse for the last 8 miles it was fine.

Plenty of climbing to do. good luck!

PS: I did it on a 53/39 crankset and 11/27 cassette. I weigh 225lbs (16ish stone) and didnt have to push on any of the hills which I was well pleased with.
  • Nickodemus
    Nickodemus Posts: 94
    Thanks for that guys.

So as long as the weather is alright the cycle paths are generally usable.

I'm not a fan of MTB'ing so would ideally be looking for roads the whole way....can anyone point me in the direction of a route map for the ride - can't seem to find anything...?

Cheers,

Nick
    "Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    How about coast to coast to coast. We regularly do Plymouth-Bude-Plymouth, it's possible to make it just 100 miles and it's all on road too. Will post the route on Bikely sometime. Some nice eateries in Bude.
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    A few mates and I did it from Silloth near Carlisle to Newbiggin by the sea in a day for charity.Following the millitary road and Hadrians wall all on roads and quietish ones at that depending on season. :wink:
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Have you looked at the Reivers Route? This goes north of the Sustrans C2C and can follow roads or tarred cyclepaths I believe -- the Kielder off road sectiosn are given alternative on road routes to bypass
  • Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    I did the Reivers two years ago and the route can easily be done all on road and as mentioned before the Kielder section will need to be done on the signed alternate route. There are several sections of cycle path to negotiate on which a road bike will be fine. There are always road options to avoid these, I guess its up to the individual as to how much road riding they want to do.
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Another alternative is Hadrian's Cycleway : Ravenglass (or Whitehaven, Workington, Carlisle) to Newcastle (North Shields or Wallsend).
    This is all road or cycleway you could do on a roadbike - I used a MTB on slicks and Mrs wrx a hybrid with 700x28 tyres.

I take it you've found the websites for these ? Maps, route descriptions, B&B details, etc, etc

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/

http://www.reivers-guide.co.uk/