Sturmey Archer hub siezed up

Pongo
Pongo Posts: 28
edited July 2008 in Road general
Just got my RSWs back from the shop and my one does not have a first gear. I took the bike to a shop with a mechanic who knows about these hubs and he told me to fill it with sewing machine oil. I shopped around and the only place I could find that sells it will only sell me a gallon. Is there an alternative oil? A few paople suggested 3 in 1 but I have a suspicion that it is too thin for a hub gear.
the hub is an AW 3 speed 1966
Thanks

Comments

• Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    I've been running a SA AW on 3 in 1 for over 8 years without problems (if I remember correctly sewing machine oil is a bit thinner than 3 in 1). SA hubs don't use an oil bath so there's no point in 'filling it up'. Have you checked that it's correctly adjusted?
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • Pongo
    Thanks, it is adjusted ok. I will try the 3 in 1.
  • Pongo
    3 in 1 did the trick! I rode it around for a couple of hours and it eventually freed itself up.
  • Yorkshireman
    Couple of drops (no more) every month or so and it'll last for ever :wink:
    Colin N.

• Pongo
    I must admit I gave it a bit of a soaking. I'll look out for leaks!

Ta!
  • Yorkshireman
    If you've been over enthusiastic with the oil you won't need to look for the leaks ... just make sure that there's no oil on the rim. If you lay the bike on its side with the gearside underneath and some old rags under the hub the excess oil will dribble out (hopefully over night).
    Colin N.