Looking to buy a touring bike? Any wisdom?

freddywest
freddywest Posts: 5
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hello!

I'm completely new to biking and planning a Land's End to John O' Groats tour of the UK in a couple of months. This will involve cycling about 1500 miles in total over a 4 week period, carrying my own kit and possibly camping gear.

I'm looking to buy a touring bike that can thereafter be used for daily commuting in London, but I'm a complete beginner, so don't know a) where to shop in London or near London b) what specifications to look for in a bike c) what brands or models might be best d) price range (I'm assuming about £700..)

Can any cycling gurus out there offer wisdom? Any knowledge anyone can share would be hugely appreciated, given that I'm a complete dummy on this subject....

Thanks a million.

p.s. I'm a fairly small woman (5 foot 3) - not sure whether that affects the range of available touring bike options...

Comments

• raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    Check out this previous discussion on exactly this topic:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14693540

Ray
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    yes, change your user name
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    A dawes galaxy is as good as anything on offer. I've done LEJOG, JOGLE, Channel to the Med and over sixty 100km or more Audax rides in the past three years. The bike's comfortable, durable and light enough for me to give a few much lighter and more expensively equipped riders a scare when i hang on their back wheels for several miles