Bike computer recommendation

Jonr
Jonr Posts: 73
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I was wondering if someone could recommend me a bike computer. I have the following requirements:

1. Wireless
2. Can be switch between two bikes (road & mtb) with an additional sensor kit, without having to reset everything.
3. looks nice
4. reliable
5. Any other good thing that I might need to made aware of.
6. Good value

thanks
MTB
2007 Specialized Stumpy Elite
199? Kona Explosif Shock Mtb

ROAD
2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
2008 Ribble 7005 Audax

Comments

• jethro924
    jethro924 Posts: 49
    Only used Shimano Flightdecks. Expensive initial outlay but did everything I wanted from a bike computer. Especially liked seeing what gear you are in without having to look betweent your legs as well as excellent wireless cadence feature. Also having the buttons on the side of the hoods so you don't have to take your hands off is pure genius!

Just gone to SRAM shifters so I have got a 10spd flightdeck for sale, if your interested :wink:
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    VDO. Brilliant build quality. I have an HC12.6 that came off the bike a year or so ago in the middle of a busy road after I'd failed to fit it to the bracket properly and it was subsequently ran over by about half a dozen cars before the traffic cleared enough for me to get into the road to get it back. It's still worked faultlessly since albeit a little scratched. Has the ability to set it up for two bikes as well so you can set it for the 700c of your road bike and 26" on the MTB. A push of the button swaps between the two.

Only thing is it's wired, though VDO make wireless models I'm sure, but I've never understood the benefits of wireless anyway when taping the wire to the fork leg and running it round the front brake cable makes the wire completely unobtrusive anyway. I don't think the words 'wireless' and 'reliable' go together too well. I've heard too many stories of dodgy readings when passing electricity pylons or using a mobile phone or LED light anywhere in the vicinity that I wouldn't trust them. I can imagine nothing worse than coming home from a long ride to find a top speed of over 100mph and therefore an average you can't trust. Totally pointless. They eat batteries for breakfast too. Some will be better than others but personally I prefer the reliability of wired computers.
  • Jonr
    I had wondered about the reliability of the wireless variety.........
    MTB

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Jonr
    jethro924 wrote:
    Only used Shimano Flightdecks. Expensive initial outlay but did everything I wanted from a bike computer. Especially liked seeing what gear you are in without having to look betweent your legs as well as excellent wireless cadence feature. Also having the buttons on the side of the hoods so you don't have to take your hands off is pure genius!

Just gone to SRAM shifters so I have got a 10spd flightdeck for sale, if your interested :wink:

Jethro924 - I have sent you a PM
    MTB

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • doktorsteve
    doktorsteve Posts: 112
    Only wireless one I tried was one from Aldi. Worked fine unless I stopped for any reason then I had to wait a few miles for it to sync up again. I think the HR monitor interfered with the speed and vice versa. My max heart rate was 185. Since switching back to a wired computer (VDO C3) and polar type watch my max heart rate is not above 175. Thats probably more sensible for a 51 yr old. Problem now is that I don't get the time in the training zones any more and the heart rate reading goes crazy occasionally. Maybe I am just having a heart attack!! :lol:

I agree with System the VDO computer seems to be bomb proof and certainly the C3 is dead easy to navigate.
    What I really want now is the HC12.6. Pity the mounts are not compatible with the C3.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • moorehen
    moorehen Posts: 95
    Cateye strada wireless does all you are looking for. Not the cheapest but one of the best as far asI can tell.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I too prefer the Flight Deck...large numeral display and only an occasional use for the gearing display....but handy when needed :) . Although the cadence is computer generated based on the wheel rpm & gearing, I find it useful when decending. i.e., if decending and the indicated rpms are 225 :shock: , I can watch until the rpms are within the range of what I'm normally riding (90-95rpm), then I can begin pedalling without any issues of being too late or too soon..
    I also have the Cateye CD300DW wireless on my Record group; the magnet is crank-arm mounted, so it shows 0rpm when not pedaling, no matter of my descent speed...
    I really don't see any technical differences if you want a wireless cadence unit...
    Cajun
  • Blackburn Delphi 4.0 wireless and Cateye Micro Wireless. Both reliable. No false readings.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I can vouch for VDO reliability plus fantastic customer support! My old analogue wireless one finally gave up after 8 years use, I sent it back to VDO in Germany on the off-chance, I got a new digital model replacement free of charge a week later! They do offer a 5 year warranty, but they even exceeded this! Suffice to say I am a loyal customer now and bought another for my other bike.

I can't say I had the same experience with Cateye - the UK distributor, Zyro, just repeatedly ignored my warranty claim (wouldn't even refer to it in replies to my emails! Just plain ignorant!) and would only sell me a spare part.

I have no grievance with Cateye products themselves, but unlike VDO support is only through the UK distributor, and they are pants!
  • Another vote for the Cateye Strada wireless........ very easy to fit to the bike.
  • yackers1
    yackers1 Posts: 108
    Depending on your budget...............

Garmin Edge 705. A fantastic piece of kit offering speed, HR, cadence (with specific kit), calories burned, clock, virtual training partner, the ability to upload data on a PC and analyse, navigation............ the list is endless.

It can also be used on any other bike (just mount it on the handle bars or stem and press 'go', walking/hiking, canoeing/kayaking.... in fact any outdoor pursuit.

Only thing is it does not come cheap!
  • yackers1
    yackers1 Posts: 108
    Depending on your budget...............

Garmin Edge 705. A fantastic piece of kit offering speed, HR, cadence (with specific kit), calories burned, clock, virtual training partner, the ability to upload data on a PC and analyse, navigation............ the list is endless.

It can also be used on any other bike (just mount it on the handle bars or stem and press 'go', walking/hiking, canoeing/kayaking.... in fact any outdoor pursuit.

Only thing is it does not come cheap!
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    Just a quick comment on the Garmin kit. There calories burnt calcs are kak. I read an article (can't remember where now) and the author spoke to a chap at Garmin who admited the fault. So be weary o using it to work out how many post ride cakes you've earned :oops: .

I have a Garmin Forerunner 201 that I use for running and cycling with no complaints. The newer units (Edge etc) all have the better SiRFIII receiver chipset so should give quicker startup position fixing and more accuratly reflect your ride. I think the GPS route is a winner and there's no faffing with moving it from bike to arm and to a different bike - no wheel size issues :) .

Hope that helps.
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • I would suggest that if you can afford it, got for something GPS-based. They are accurate without need for calibration, and can usually be used for route-following and navigation. The only problems (apart from cost) are the price and battery life.
  • beatsystem
    beatsystem Posts: 118
    Garmin 705 is brilliant I just got mine.Very good with wko+ software analysis