Gitane "road runner".... worth using?

drumon
drumon Posts: 175
edited July 2008 in Road general
I have found an old (old looking) Gitane road bike in the basement at work.....
It doesnt seem to belong to anybody, nobody pays it any attention, so thinking about adopting it.

It is a Gitane "road runner", does anyone know more about this, I cant get any results on it searching the interweb, can you help?

Just wondering what is its pedigree, and perhaps how old it is.

I havent had a proper close look, but it has 12gears, down tube shifters, not sure what kind of derailleur it is, didnt spend so long looking at it, but its not japaneseas far as I can tell.

Here's a picture

gitaneroadrunner.jpg

Comments

• NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    The pic suggests a fairly 'run of the mill' machine - i.e heavy tubing, basic components; that said, you may well have a classic on your hands, awaiting a fond adoptive parent!

Some background on 'Gitane' here: http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/help/gitane-bikes

Suggest you pump up the tyres, give it a ride and make up your own mind.

Keep us posted..others may be able to help you with more background from the pic you posted.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • drumon
    thanks for your optimism.
    I'll try get more and better pictures of the bits and details... and give it a wee run.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    More info here.Whats the wheels 27 or 700c
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Gitane.htm
    bagpuss
  • drumon
    Here are some better pictures wih details of the bike.

Frame marked, "Modele VITUS Depose" with a frame number I assume above it.
    Front and Rear hubs marked, "SUZUE"
    Wheels are, MAVIC 700c, "Module E" I think
    Deraileur, HURET SACHS "RIVAL" 12 speed.
    Cranks, SUPER MAXY 175mm
    Chanirings have, SUGINO bolts, so SUGINO Chainrings??
    Pedals stamped, SP-150
    Saddle, CONPY
    Brake levers, Weinnmann
    Brakes, CLB
    Stem says, "SR" on it
    Chrome fork has little chevron type detail with "G" at the top of fork leg
    Only decals on the frame say "GITANE" and "ROAD RUNNER".

Anyone able to shed any more light on what the frame is really made of, is it rubbish, satisfactory, good, or maybe even excellent?

PICT3716.jpg
    PICT3718.jpg
    PICT3719.jpg
    PICT3722.jpg
    PICT3725.jpg
    PICT3727.jpg
    PICT3736.jpg
    PICT3751.jpg
    PICT3754.jpg
    PICT3773-1.jpg
  • demmerson
    demmerson Posts: 91
    Sheldon has a useful page on French bikes http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
  • bagpusscp
    Frame number suggests early to mid 80's mid range {IMO} .Clean it up and use as a run about .{if it is your size and bear in it maybe belong to someone. Good find .I would be well happy.Size of seat post is always a good indicator type of tubing.
    bagpuss
  • drumon
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Frame number suggests early to mid 80's mid range {IMO} .Clean it up and use as a run about .{if it is your size and bear in it maybe belong to someone. Good find .I would be well happy.Size of seat post is always a good indicator type of tubing.

Interesting thanks!!

So if I measure the inside of the seat post in the frame, what measurement would indicate what type of tubing? If thats not an awkward question....

Appreciate the help.
  • bagpusscp
    27.2 is 531 .I will go check other sizes . I should say on the seat post.
    bagpuss
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    I would say use it. It looks like a borderline boiler to me :? :D

Not a Tour de France team bike but a good honest probably early 80's type of club hack. You never know with these old bikes, lots are a bit boring but every now and then you find a good one.
    Club rides are for sheep
  • drumon
    yup, borderline boiler seems a fair description, have explored Gitane catalogues on the net and the components dont point to specific model really, and its not easy to identify the tubing by cross refencing with the catalogues. The "Vitus" badge under the bottom bracket, I thought, would be a big help, but it isnt at all, I found that on some 1984ish Gitanes, mid range club bikes had a Vitus cable guide under the bottom bracket on what is probably a distinctly ordinary steel/CroMo frame. There is no sticker to suggest reynolds or anything else as interesting in the frame construction. Ordinary it is.

So think you are about right there!
    Thanks!! 8)