Outer Hebrides

pneumatic
pneumatic Posts: 1,989
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
Just back from the most fantastic week in the Outer Hebrides, doing the end to end from Vatersay to Butt of Lewis. We had everything, tempests, gales, hot sunshine, broken spokes, blown out tyre, ligament damage and, everywhere we went, the most generous hospitality. The climbs on Harris are just magnificent.

Main reason to post is to sing the praises of Tommy at Rothan Cycles on South Uist, who rebuilt my backwheel overnight while I stayed in the remote hostel at Howmore, picked up my companion after his third tube blew one evening on a rainy single track road and then arranged for a new tyre and tubes to come up on the bus to our hostel 40 miles away. Really kind people, very helpful.

Check them out on: http://www.rothan.com/

Fast and Bulbous
Peregrinations
Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    He is brilliant. Not the place to expect such a good shop. Not the sort of place that looks like it either. He sorted us out with a 7 speed freehub body when ours locked solid. The best I was hoping for was a replacement wheel!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I actually thought it was a mirage.

Sunday evening, Western Isles (famous for quiet Sundays), no shop, no pub, nothing. Soaked, 100km behind us, waiting for the wheel to collapse at any moment. And there at the turn-off to the hostel is a sign saying "Bike Repairs" and Tommy standing at the door with his arms folded waiting for my custom.

It's moments like these that remind you why you set out on tours and expeditions.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)