Early Morning Rides

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
The past 3 days I have been going on my daily rides at just after 5am in the morning and its been great, does anyone else do this?
Its peacefull, cool and there is an abundance of wildlife to see to make the ride more enjoyable and theres a sense of satisfaction when you return just after 7am knowing the whole day is ahead of you and you have 30+ miles under your belt!
The only downside was someone taking their Porsche GT3 for an early morning thrash on Sunday and he passed me at some incrediable speed which almost made me sh@t myself!
exercise.png

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    fto-si wrote:
    which almost made me sh@t myself!
    Least there would have been no one round to see...
    Rich
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Yeah I've been up at 4:30/5:00(ish) a couple of times of late. Best part of the day. Mainly just taxis and coppers about IME. Even better on a Sunday when the eedjots stay in bed a bit longer.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I very often go out early, wife does not moan and its nice and quite,like you say best part of the day.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • brbelly
    brbelly Posts: 35
    i always go out early on a sunday. near enough no traffic and can enjoy myself, unlike my commute.

also take my camera, got great shots of hares fighting in fields and other wildlife shots.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I have done a few times in the past and did fidn it a good time to ride - but the addition of a puppy before Xmas has killed that for now as she'd wake up the whole house if I got up and went out (plus I have to fit in a 30 minute walk for her also before work now).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    After years of being on the road at 0630 every work morning I'm afraid that retirement for me means the luxury of being able to stay abed and have a gentle breakfast reading the Guardian before even contemplating the roads :lol:

Though I agree, the dawn is a magical time. I've only ever witnessed it after either an all night sail or bike ride. Or, of course, on Winter commutes but that wasn't quite so magical.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I'm rubbish at getting up early, but this makes me wish I could be a bit more self-disciplined occasionally.

Having said that, my wife is due to have a baby any time now, so I guess I'm going to get used to being woken up early :)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I have done a few times in the past and did fidn it a good time to ride - but the addition of a puppy before Xmas has killed that for now as she'd wake up the whole house if I got up and went out (plus I have to fit in a 30 minute walk for her also before work now).

Large Sack

Bricks

Deep river a

and problem solved :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • fto-si
    spen666 wrote:

Large Sack

Bricks

Deep river a

Spen666 you are a cock
    exercise.png
  • fto-si
    fto-si wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Large Sack

Bricks

Deep river a

Spen666 you are a fool

Damn it edited my response I wanted to be far stronger word.
    exercise.png
  • Yes spen, if it's only a puppy, a small sack should do it.
    Dan
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    yeah in the summer at weekends i often set off at 6 am ,you cant beat the cool fresh air and lack of traffic , but ive noticed since the 24 hour drinking came into being that at this time of the morning there are still gangs of youths wandering about town obviously having been boozing all night , the other week i set off at 6.30am on a Sunday morning and came across 15 to 20 lads down a street luckily i was approaching from behind and shot past before they even knew i was there , if i had been coming the other way who knows what would have happened , before this 24 drinking lark there was hardly a soul about at 6 in the morning at weekends
  • I ride at 3.30 every day. Best time of the day to go riding round here to be honest plus it means I then have a nice long 12 hour recovery period before starting again in the evening during the week and means I have a full day to spend with the girl after a 4/6 hour rid eon sundays.

Can't see a downside to riding early in the morning to be honest. Have always done it and will continue to for as long as I can.

gats
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I ride at 3.30 every day.

Can't see a downside to riding early in the morning to be honest. Have always done it and will continue to for as long as I can.

gats

What time???? :shock: :shock: :shock: I didn't even know that time existed.

Do you not need any more than three or four hours' sleep?
  • Nah been doing it for years so my body has got used to sleeping for 5 hours every day. I do get an extra 3 hours kip on saturdays whenits my rest day so still up and about by 6!

When I was in Canada I used t go riding at 2.45 every day as I had to be in the kitchen from 5 so this is a luxury for me!

Gats
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    You're all mad.

I hate getting up in the morning and I need my sleep. Here in Finland it's light until after 11.30pm at this time of year, so I often go out at 9 or 10pm for a quick 40 miler. It's cooler than during the day, the wind drops, wildlife is out and about... probably quite like early morning actually!
  • Turnbull2000
    Turnbull2000 Posts: 189
    Sunday's only. Set off at 6AM, ride 100 miles or more then back around 12ish for bacon sarnies :)
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    My 'window' for leaving home is between 6am & 6:30am - any later than that, I am faced with high temp, humidity and, depending on my route, very heavy traffic.
    Latphrao0004.jpg
    Lat Phrao Road - about 1 km from my home. The traffic is like this from about 7am until early evening - Mon to Sat! I very rarely travel on this road.
    shb501.jpg
    Sukhaphiban5 at 7am, the tailback was about 3kms! I am heading away from the traffic but I will meet heavy traffic when I head back for home on a different road.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Up here in the wilds of Scotland I get to use both ends of the day, midsummer there's light to cycle 'till 23.00.....

Managed to get a full hour in last night AFTER the tennis had finished (and it was overcast) then set off at 06.30 this morning to get to take lllooonngg route to work. If I'm able to get out of bed a 04.00 start is feasible. 8)

'Course screwed in the winter...sunrise = 09.00; sunset = 15.00 :(