Wave or not to wave?

Cedryn
Cedryn Posts: 6
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Being a biker (and I know there's quite a few on here) is there a form of road manners to acknowledge your fellow cyclist with a wave or a nod as you pass, like bikers do?

Does it depend on location perhaps? I do a lot of narrow country lanes so always give a nod or a hello when I pass someone. Bit more difficult on a dual carriageway perhaps!

But like bikers, is there a little discrimination? For example, I would't bother waving to a Goldwing or tourer unless they waved to me first. Hells Angels and Outlaws are out of the question............that's because I know they're too scared to lift their hands off the handlebars! Is there a class of cyclist you wouldn't acknowledge or be reluctant to?

Also, what about when you see someone broken down on the side of the road? I know I'd stop and go over. My guess is most would (unless you're in a rush to get somewhere, obviously).

Cheers

John

Nb. If I did pass a Goldwing rider whilst out on my road bike, I would actually stop ..............and help him tune his radio into Radio 2. (Only joking - apols to all Goldwing riders on here - I know you don't break down)

Comments

• meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    Most of us use this ritual:

First biker: F***ing buses!
    Second bike: Too right mate!
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    Flick the fingers off the hoods or nod your head. It costs nothing and if the acknowledgement is not returned you have some fuel for the next few climbs.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I always nod or raise a hand and say 'Hi'

Unless I'm out of breath!

I stop if there is someone with a problem, even if we're out for a walk, I'll do that!

I do it for two reasons

1) Politeness costs nothing, an old fasioned view, but you should always be polite.

2) If I have a problem, someone I've acknowleged may be going by andf they are more likely to stop

On a secondary note, I have noticed that if there is a bloke and a girl riding the roads or trails together that the guy is at the front.

He quite often ignores the 'Hello', she will generally smile and say 'Hi'

She also has a "He's knackered trying to stay ahead of me" look :lol:

It always amuses me....
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    How many times does this come up???

On the TT bike no
    Anything with HR above 165 no
    Othertimes yes

Im a roadie, i wave to everyone. The worst for waving back are Freds.

/thread
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I always usually do, but the last couple of times I have seen quite a few and I have said hello or alright and the feckers haven't reciprocated, so why should i bother in the future?
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Always wave/nod head and always will do,it costs nothing to be nice and can count on 1 hand the number of times Ive been blanked in all the years Ive rode.
    Also always ask anyone who's stuck at the side of the road if their ok or need help.

I might change my mind if their wearing Cyling Weekly kit though :twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    On a London commute I'm too busy trying to stay alive to wave/nod, and in Richmond Park I'd be nodding so much I might as well be at a Metallica gig. Anywhere else, though, I try and be friendly.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Wave or not?

Surely this topic should be in a special section of soapbox, along with the

helmet debate
    the campag / shimano debate
    Religion etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • its weird. in london i nod and i get NOTHING usually scowls or complete and utter blanking.
    I visit sheffield to see my parents, see 4 roadies on a morning ride, each one saying 'Morning!' and generally being nice and cheery.

also nodded at a few people n richmond and nothing either. wonder if its because im female or most london roadies i encounter are moody b*stards haha
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    its weird. in london i nod and i get NOTHING usually scowls or complete and utter blanking.
    I visit sheffield to see my parents, see 4 roadies on a morning ride, each one saying 'Morning!' and generally being nice and cheery.

also nodded at a few people n richmond and nothing either. wonder if its because im female or most london roadies i encounter are moody b*stards haha

North-South thing ?

In C+ this month, Roger StPierre is bemoaning the fact that no-one will acknowledge anyone any more.
    But then he's from Essex - is that the way it is down there ?

Here Up North, almost everyone nods, takes a hand off the hood, speaks, whatever.

I acknowledge anyone who waves or nods to me first, but if I make the first move I'll do it to almost anyone on a bike - roadie, MTB'r, country-lanes-Sunday-cyclist, etc : I just don't bother with adolescents in baggy jeans on shagged-out MTB/BMX
  • haha must be! its weird i feel like both but my northerness says 'smile and nod!'

just feel a bit of a fool when u get nada in return, and no im not expecting someone blazing it or on a tt to smile and wave but casual roadies such as myself. makes the journey a lot more pleasant!

oh well....
  • I used to nod/say hi when riding in Richmond Park, but I got blanked so many times I almost never do it now unless someone says hi to me first.

When I'm commuting I tend to nod or let on to people if we're at the lights, but rarely get any response. I has occurred to me though that this may be because I'm wearing a racing lid and mirrored wraparound glasses, and it makes what I think is a friendly smile actually look like a soulless grimace. I rarely stand at mirrors in my cycling gear smiling at myself though... :)
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Nice and friendly out here in the South West. Must be a Sarf East thing.
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    I stopped to raise my saddle on the TCR this morning ( waiting for replacement clamp from Giant ) and a man in a Mercedes estate stopped to make sure I was okay. Bless.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    I always wave or nod and say hi, if people don't wave back or acknowledge me then I just laugh!
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    I try to always acknowledge any cyclist on the other side of the road. I usually say something if I pass someone or get passed.
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    spen666 wrote:
    Wave or not?

Surely this topic should be in a special section of soapbox, along with the

... Religion etc

Isn't this just a special case of the Campag/Simano debate ?
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • phillarrow
    phillarrow Posts: 15
    One of the things I've enjoyed most since cycling to work is that I get a sense of community that you just don't get in a car. On an average morning I will have a brief and polite encounter with about seven people, four of whom are cyclists, the others pedestrians. However, there is one guy who walks to work the opposite way to me. I said hello to him on the forst morning and he looked at me like I was from Mars. The next day he put his head down as I approached. I still said hello. The following day, as I approached he actually climbed over a wall into an adjoining field and continued his walk. I shouted 'Hi Mate' that day. Since then he has done almost everything to avoid me and I have done almost everything to make him acknowledge me. In a bizarre way I'm enjoying that fact that my friendliness is making him feel uncomfortable.
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    phillarrow wrote:
    One of the things I've enjoyed most since cycling to work is that I get a sense of community that you just don't get in a car. On an average morning I will have a brief and polite encounter with about seven people, four of whom are cyclists, the others pedestrians. However, there is one guy who walks to work the opposite way to me. I said hello to him on the forst morning and he looked at me like I was from Mars. The next day he put his head down as I approached. I still said hello. The following day, as I approached he actually climbed over a wall into an adjoining field and continued his walk. I shouted 'Hi Mate' that day. Since then he has done almost everything to avoid me and I have done almost everything to make him acknowledge me. In a bizarre way I'm enjoying that fact that my friendliness is making him feel uncomfortable.
    :lol::lol:
    cheesy quaver
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    he probably thinks your stalking him :lol:
    cheesy quaver