Delicate question for the ladies

chewa
chewa Posts: 164
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
As yet again on my way home in this fine weather a flying insect flew into my helmet vents and buzzed around my dome - necessitating a panic stop and mad thrash to get my helmet off, I began to wonder:

I'd passed several female cyclists who in the hot weather were wearing their zips lower than normal (probably for cooling - but there is a possible venturi effect benefit).

Now sometimes I've looked down and found a bee or wasp stuck to my chest by air pressure (such is the velocity I reach).

Just wondered, do these hotter temps bring another potential hazard to cycling if you are female. I.e do you ever get stung? :lol:
plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
FCN 7
While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Unicycle
Couple of others!

Comments

• mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    /homer
    Hmmmmmm zips lower than normal......Hmmmmmmmm

8)
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I think this thread has been started so that chewa can get a discussion going about lady bumps :o :P :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • chewa
    Maybe someone could comment on the aerodynamics? :lol:

The question is just for a cheery discussion, but I have to say that since buying a yellow Giro Monza, I've never had so many instances of wasps, bees etc flying into my helmet. Maybe I'm just more aware as the thatch isn't very thick! Or it could be they think I'm a big flower - sort of "Meals on Wheels"

It's very embarassing (and tricky), braking to a stop with one hand while at the same time trying to undo your helmet and allow whatever is buzzing angrily about out. :shock:

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    The dangers of wearing a helmet eh...
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • chewa
    pst88 wrote:
    The dangers of wearing a helmet eh...

Good thing is that if you do tumble off while trying to undo your helmet - then as long as you haven't yet taken it off it will save your life.....obviously :twisted:

No, let's not go there.

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    So keeping to the subject, a yellow top with the zip open most of the way down would be an open invitation. To flying insects.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    wonder if it's more common with girls riding bikes with dropped bars.. might need a bit of research
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I fear this will slip into a testosterone fuelled, all male thread, that has nothing to do with ladies safety and comfort whilst cycling... :roll: ...

...so anyway back to the topic, if you happened upon a distressed lady with a wasp or bee down her cleavage would you, as a fellow cyclist, offer to help remove the dangerous insect and then administer a soothing balm to the affected area?
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Similarly, if a snake fell out of a tree, and into said space, and bit, you can see where I'm going, can't you?

Someone was having a slow day at work, methinks :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I for one have nearly stacked my bike repeatedly this week wondering if a small insect had in fact been drawn into the ram air intake of several ladies coming the opposite way on the Cable St bike path.

I think it needs more - looking into.

TAXI!

GT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Greg T wrote:
    ram air intake

LOL :lol:

PS: has it occurred to you that I might be a laydee, BTW?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    SecretSam wrote:

Is that a proper laydee or just a Roadie with big hands but silky smooth legs?

We need to know.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    SecretSam wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    ram air intake

LOL :lol:

There's certainly no sign of, well, dangly bits on your naked profile picture...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    chewa wrote:
    It's very embarassing (and tricky), braking to a stop with one hand while at the same time trying to undo your helmet and allow whatever is buzzing angrily about out. :shock:

Learn to ride no handed!, get the helmet off and back on much more quickly! Plus there's added wind for when you shake said insect out.

Perhaps the organisers of the TDF have been over this territory already and the Yellow Jersey is a sort of handicap...

... perhaps Landis was bitten/stung by a particularly testosteroned up insect.

ho hum :?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • chewa
    Attica wrote:
    chewa wrote:

Learn to ride no handed!, get the helmet off and back on much more quickly! Plus there's added wind for when you shake said insect out.

Perhaps the organisers of the TDF have been over this territory already and the Yellow Jersey is a sort of handicap...

... perhaps Landis was bitten/stung by a particularly testosteroned up insect.

ho hum :?

Funny thing is, I can't ride no handed on my commuting bike (531c frame) as I veer to the left. Used to think it was because of the way I "dressed" but discounted that because:

1. Not that well endowed.
    2. Can ride no handed on my Cinelli Super Corsa and Flying Scot.

Frame alignment has been checked so it must be effect of one sided pannier :roll:

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I wish i could go fast enought to create some wind resistance :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • I'm a bloke and I got stung by a wasp the other day. It went through the neck of my top and buzzed around a bit and stung me on my shoulder. I nearly fell off. Got off the bike and ripped my top off so the bugger could fly out.

I cycle zipped up now
  • Although it wasn't a bee I did once accidentally flash several cars when trying to remove a leaf from down my top. :oops:

I now cycle zipped up :lol:
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1882561/
  • MattHybrid
    MattHybrid Posts: 27
    I was attacked by a swarm of bees in a non cycling related incident several years ago, and don't like that little critters to say the least. I ended up stripping all my clothes off at the side of the road as they were all over me, then ended up running all the way home in my undies.

I sincerely hope I don't get one stuck in my clothing on my commute :cry:
  • dang65
    dang65 Posts: 1,006
    chewa wrote:
    As yet again on my way home in this fine weather a flying insect flew into my helmet vents and buzzed around my dome
    After reading that, I'll definitely be wearing tighter fitting shorts this Summer.

That should ensure there won't be any room for wasps to fly into my helmet and buzz round my dome.
  • I always wear a buff under my helmet (scope for innuendo there :shock: ), even if the little beggars do get in my helmet at least they can't sting through the microfibre, or at least they haven't yet :?
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • chewa
    I always wear a buff under my helmet (scope for innuendo there :shock: ), even if the little beggars do get in my helmet at least they can't sting through the microfibre, or at least they haven't yet :?

I wear a buff in winter but it makes me sweat too much in the hot Scottish summers!

I'm sure the fact that my helmet is yellow attracts the little blighters, never had as much of a problem with my last helmet (silver)

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I know women are normally quite conscious about what they wear, but on warmer days I do wonder if they have chosen badly. Recently I've passed quite a few women that have been wearing leggings that didn't cover up their backside when in the saddle. I've seen a couple of variations of underwear exposed, and a lack of it too. Each time I considered saying something, but didn't want to come across as a pervert, or deal with the potential mutual embarrasment (probably more for her though). Instead I just hoped a female cyclist might see her and say something instead.
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    By "exposed underwear" do you mean any underwear worn under cycle shorts? I was on a charity bike ride last weekend and half the women wearing proper cycle kit very obviously had underwear underneath.

Sadly no insect attacks on that ride.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    The conspiracy theory gathers momentum!?!?!

Rasmussen nobbled by bees too?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • chewa
    Parkey wrote:
    By "exposed underwear" do you mean any underwear worn under cycle shorts? I was on a charity bike ride last weekend and half the women wearing proper cycle kit very obviously had underwear underneath.

Sadly no insect attacks on that ride.

I think he was meaning "Whale Tails" :shock:

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    squired wrote:
    I know women are normally quite conscious about what they wear, but on warmer days I do wonder if they have chosen badly. Recently I've passed quite a few women that have been wearing leggings that didn't cover up their backside when in the saddle. I've seen a couple of variations of underwear exposed, and a lack of it too. Each time I considered saying something, but didn't want to come across as a pervert, or deal with the potential mutual embarrasment (probably more for her though). Instead I just hoped a female cyclist might see her and say something instead.

But why pass them?
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Funny to read this thread, just his week I had a bumble bee fly down the zip of my yellow cycling jersey!

Suffice to say that it was quickly ejected - I thought they couldn't sting, but maybe they can...

And if my shorts/whatever where showing off my undies or my bum I'd certainly want anyone to tell me - and I wouldn't give them a slap!

Also, it's hot! And lady bumps can also act as sweat traps, esp. with sports bras, so a breeze is welcome.

Hope that clears it up... :)
  • chewa
    Funny to read this thread, just his week I had a bumble bee fly down the zip of my yellow cycling jersey!

Suffice to say that it was quickly ejected - I thought they couldn't sting, but maybe they can...

And if my shorts/whatever where showing off my undies or my bum I'd certainly want anyone to tell me - and I wouldn't give them a slap!

Also, it's hot! And lady bumps can also act as sweat traps, esp. with sports bras, so a breeze is welcome.

Hope that clears it up... :)

Thank you. Yellow jersey - I wonder if they attract insects?

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    chewa wrote:
    As yet again on my way home in this fine weather a flying insect flew into my helmet vents and buzzed around my dome - necessitating a panic stop and mad thrash to get my helmet off, I began to wonder:

I'd passed several female cyclists who in the hot weather were wearing their zips lower than normal (probably for cooling - but there is a possible venturi effect benefit).

Now sometimes I've looked down and found a bee or wasp stuck to my chest by air pressure (such is the velocity I reach).

Just wondered, do these hotter temps bring another potential hazard to cycling if you are female. I.e do you ever get stung? :lol:
    Not female, but an hilarious story nonetheless.

Was out in Spain on my Carbon Scott CR1 looking fantastic in all my matching kit including my all in one Scott skinsuit. It was a scorching hot day in April, I'd unzipped my skinsuit partly, to cool off cos felt like boil in the bag, & was beginning the sweeping descent from the mountains back to the coast of the Costa Blanca when the biggest(and angriest) wasp I've ever seen flew straight inside my skinsuit.

All too aware of the fact that there's really nothing to seperate your upper & lower parts in a skinsuit & noticing that the wasp was quickly migrating south I panickedI Having now picked up a fair bit of speed on the descent what happened next was like something out of a black & white silent movie!!

I mangaged to grasp the insect in the fabric of my suit with my thumb & one finger whilst madly trying to control & slow the bike with my other arm/hand. At the same time as screaming aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhhhh!! As my finger & thumb got repeatedly stung.

Ended up stopped in the middle of the road on switch-back with a big truck thundering up the hill blowing its airhorn at me. Had to drag myself out the road with this wasp still firmly embedded in my thumb.

Had a sore finger & thumb for a few days, but it could've been much, much worse!! :shock:
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks