Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Somebody needs to specify a schedule of allowable adjustments.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    will3 wrote:
    I think some categories should come with 'free' upgrades.
    For example there should be no penalty for a roadie shaved (like a laydee) or hairy (like a man) wearing lycra. That is what roadies do.
    Similarly, panniers on a tourer are standard kit.

It's possible that shaved(like a laydee) roadies should be allowed poseur kit as well (wraparounds wannabe jerseys )
    thoughts?

if someone's willing to shave their legs they will damn sure be wearing the kit to go with it.

That being said it's all about getting out there and gunning it nonchalantly of course. it's raining a bit so maybe you should keep your speed down for safetys sake :twisted:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    will3 wrote:
    I think some categories should come with 'free' upgrades.
    For example there should be no penalty for a roadie shaved (like a laydee) or hairy (like a man) wearing lycra. That is what roadies do.
    Similarly, panniers on a tourer are standard kit.

It's possible that shaved(like a laydee) roadies should be allowed poseur kit as well (wraparounds wannabe jerseys )
    thoughts?

We're gonna need to start a Wiki on this soon.........I do agree certain categorie do automatically come with some modifiers, I mean if your gonna go to the effort of being a shaved roadie I'm pretty certain your gonna be wearing lycra - otherwise you'd just look like a freak........at the opposite end of the scale would a person on a folder get more points for wearing lycra then a hyrbid rider, after all they might not be riding as far, but if you've taken to wearing lycra your obviously moving towards becoming a "proper" cyclist!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    -1 for lycra??? no way
    it's +1 for flats no change for clipless as they're common these days
    no idea about wraparounds tbh

+1 for baggies sure

I can live with that.

So I'd be back to my baseline score (5), which just means there's more out there to hunt...
    :twisted:
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Just trying to collate all the info in this thread together and work it all out...when I'm done, I'll post on here, and them start off a new thread with the rules at the top....how does that sound?? :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I need arbitration, referee!

Welcome VL I look forward to defeating you and telling everyone about it!

My take on Roadie FCNs is this, I must say I'm with Snooks on the Kit adjusters

Hairy Roadies base kit

Lycra
    Lid
    Clippless

After that the adjusters kick in

Positive adjusters

Normal clothing +2
    Baggy attire +1
    Clips +1
    Beard +1

No impact
    Sunglasses

Positive adjusters

Little bike cap -1
    Tour de france jersey -2
    Team kit -1
    Power meter -1
    Aero bars -1
    Rucksack-less -1

A hairy roadie with cap, TDF jersey, power meter and Aero bars is on par with a scooter....... without a rucksack he's ultra cold 0 and big time scalp!

Of course after this very fast bit of maths under time/speed pressure there are the subtle adjusters that you and your conscience have to agree on....

Are they a whippet? Is that proper obscure bike kit, is that the remains of a race number on the frame?

A secret deal is made with yourself and you either front up or back off like a bad dog when Daddy gets home.........
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Clever Pun wrote:
    . it's raining a bit so maybe you should keep your speed down for safetys sake :twisted:

Which brings me to golden rule number two:

You must never never never forget you're on the road.

Wiping out/colliding with cars/ running red lights/ hitting peds forfeits all your points.
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:
    Just trying to collate all the info in this thread together and work it all out...when I'm done, I'll post on here, and them start off a new thread with the rules at the top....how does that sound?? :D

Do it.

Cry havoc and let slip the Dogs of the game

• Greg T
    will3 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    .You must never never never forget you're on the road.

Wiping out/colliding with cars/ running red lights/ hitting peds forfeits all your points.

This is also true, don't run with scissors and don't get yourself killed.

If you can't write up your ride then who'lll know the awesome you laid down.

It may be the case that in the rain the rules don't apply...... Discuss

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Surely rain brings on a whole new set of scores;

Rain cape (the kind that covers rider + bike) + 5
    Cycling with a brolly +2
    Then again, what do I know, I don't commute by bike :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    My take on Roadie FCNs is this, I must say I'm with Snooks on the Kit adjusters

Hairy Roadies base kit

Lycra
    Lid
    Clippless

After that the adjusters kick in

Positive adjusters

Normal clothing +2
    Baggy attire +1
    Clips +1
    Beard +1

Awesome :D now just have to decide if I drop the hat for the helmet

will3 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    wrote:
    .You must never never never forget you're on the road.

Damn right they'll pass you right back again and so will numpties and no one wants to see that :lol:

Seriously though ride safe ride hard

Rain is a leveler everyone slows down for a wet road... it's up to an individual if they're playing in the wet/frost/snow etc you'd be a lunatic mind
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Hello

This is my first post and I see this as the best place to start and introduce myself.

Im an Edinburgh commuter, with a criminally short run to work and back. I occasinally take in a longer route round Arthur Seat (the big exstinct 400ft volcano in the middle of town, you cant miss it). But on reading about 'The Game' this will now stop. It is full of hairless (like a lady) roadies in team gear, with that power stuff, computers etc etc and they pass me with ease and I dont have a hope in hell of catching and taking them. I will now be sticking to the fast flat sprint that is Seafield Road.

I think I am right and saying Im a...

MTB with slicks 8
    With rucksack +1
    In baggies +1 (well, tracksuit bottoms with one leg rolled up to aviod any chain catching related accidents - quite a ghetto look)

So that makes me a 10.

Is body size taken into account? Im very slim and am looking to be positivley rewarded to taking someone whos thigh measurements are the same as my waist. As I say I have a short fast sprint home and am looking for points form people who are 20 miles in as Im just starting.

Also, with regards to effort. Is standing up and pushing hard acceptable to catch someone up (as long as they dont see you) then at the last moment being seated to nonchalantly pass them even possibly giving them a cheery 'morning' as you pass?

Looking forward to reading a clear guide that will answer some of my questions and concerns.

regards
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Surely rain brings on a whole new set of scores;

Rain cape (the kind that covers rider + bike) + 5
    Cycling with a brolly +2
    Then again, what do I know, I don't commute by bike :wink:

Would you also get positive modifiers for going out dressed for sunny weather in the rain? I'm not a huge fan of rain clothing, and won't put my gill jacket on unless it's either a torrential downpour or very windy!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • will3 wrote:

This could be the only truly effective way of ending the scourge of the RLJ. Never mind fines, prison sentences or the potential loss of life, you'll lose your points!
    (John F Kennedy)

• Greg T
    Hello

This is my first post and I see this as the best place to start and introduce myself.

MTB with slicks 8
    With rucksack +1
    In baggies +1 (well, tracksuit bottoms with one leg rolled up to aviod any chain catching related accidents - quite a ghetto look)

Also, with regards to effort. Is standing up and pushing hard acceptable to catch someone up (as long as they dont see you) then at the last moment being seated to nonchalantly pass them even possibly giving them a cheery 'morning' as you pass?

Welcome UPL!

I have to take exception with your refusal to mix it with Shaved (like a lady) roadies. It doesn't matter at all if they drop you but if you pull off the big one and put some clear water between you and their silky thighs the Kudos is yours.

You have to play to win.....

Rucksacks are 0 in my book - the absence of carrying anything a negative adjuster -1.

Adjusters for baggy clothing need to be agreed amongst you MTBers I know nothing of this and refuse to be drawn into "urban" conversations between guiys who watch Point Break twice a night.

• snooks
    edited July 2008
    OK it's busy here today, so I've rustled up the following....comments please lady legged roadies and gentlemen alike, be you a girly on a wicker basket clad shopper or 12 ft Fixed speed yellow jersey wearing fat thighed monster, your opinion is valid:

The Game: (created by Greg T)
    Dropping / Pulling anyone higher in the Food Chain makes you stronger and more attractive to burds. Getting dropped / trying to keep up with anyone lower means your soul hires a kudos remover to lower your self worth.

Rules:
    1/No Dangerous Manoeuvres (A Danger to any other road users and yourself) Falling off causes pain to you and others around you, don’t do it
    2/Don’t ride like a cock, we’re all just trying to get somewhere
    3/No passing at Lights/Junction/Crossings if you do it doesn't count
    4/All passing on open road ONLY. Filtering in traffic is null and void( you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly)
    5/ Pavement passes, either your or the target is void
    6/Show no pain, unless, like me you’re face is just like that

Food Chain Numbers:

1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls
    3. Single speed fixed hub
    4. Single Speed
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    13. Shoppers wicker baskets
    14. Electric bikes

Recumbents, Tandems and Segways are worth +2 points as a rare bonus

Sinclair C5 +20 points as a hens teeth bonus

FCN Adjusters:

CLOTHING:
    None:+3
    Non-Cycling: +2
    Baggies: +1
    Lycra: 0
    Team Kit: -1
    TDF Jersey: -2

BAGGAGE:
    Panniers:+1
    Back Pack/Courier: 0
    Nothing: -1

HEAD GEAR:
    Helmets/Nothing/Sunglasses: 0
    Bike Caps / Wrap arounds: -1

ACCESSORIES:
    Herman's Safety Wing" (orange plastic shaped lolly-pop with reflector): +2
    Beard: +1
    Power meter: -1
    Aerobars: -1

Optional FCN decider:

PEDALS:
    Flats: +1
    Toe Clips: 0
    Evidently Clipless/spds (cycling shoes): -1
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    will3 wrote:
    This could be the only truly effective way of ending the scourge of the RLJ. Never mind fines, prison sentences or the potential loss of life, you'll lose your points!

God's Crap Man!

It never occured to me that a player of the Game would RLJ....

Of course RLJers are a rich vein of scalps as the whip by the static gamer and present easy meat 150M down the road - this is however not an endorsement.

In addition there is the Glow of Justice for having done them

In fact - and I'm going out on a limb here - we should have a seperate side show - how many RLJers did you do and of them how many times did you manage to do the same one.

• snooks
    Greg T wrote:

Adjusters for baggy clothing need to be agreed amongst you MTBers I know nothing of this and refuse to be drawn into "urban" conversations between guiys who watch Point Break twice a night.

I wear baggies, but have spds so they cancel each other out :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    snooks wrote:
    OK it's busy here today, so I've rustled up the following....comments please lady legged roadies and gentlemen alike, be you a girly on a wicker basket clad shopper or 12 ft Fixed speed yellow jersey wearing fat thighed monster, your opinion is valid:

The Game: (created by Greg T)
    Dropping / Pulling anyone higher in the Food Chain makes you stronger and more attractive to burds. Getting dropped / trying to keep up with anyone lower means your soul hires a kudos remover to lower your self worth.

Rules:
    1/No Dangerous Manoeuvres (A Danger to any other road users and yourself) Falling off causes pain to you and others around you, don’t do it
    2/Don’t ride like a fool, we’re all just trying to get somewhere
    3/No passing at Lights/Junction/Crossings
    4/All passing on open road ONLY. Filtering in traffic is null and void( you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly)
    5/ Pavement passes, either your or the target is void
    6/Show no pain, unless, like me you’re face is just like that

Food Chain Numbers:

1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls
    3. Single speed fixed hub
    4. Single Speed
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    14. Electric bikes

Sinclair C5 +20 points as a hens teeth bonus

FCN Adjusters:

CLOTHING:
    None:+3
    Non-Cycling: +2
    Baggies: +1
    Lycra: 0
    Team Kit: -1
    TDF Jersey: -2

BAGGAGE:
    Panniers:+1
    Back Pack/Courier: 0
    Nothing: -1

HEAD GEAR:
    Helmets/Nothing/Sunglasses: 0
    Bike Caps / Wrap arounds: -1

ACCESSORIES:
    Herman's Safety Wing" (orange plastic shaped lolly-pop with reflector): +2
    Beard: +1
    Power meter: -1
    Aerobars: -1

Optional FCN decider:

PEDALS:

Looks fairly complete, just to clarify tho does a cycle computer get counted under power meter??

I'll leave this a while for more comments and once it's generally agreed accurate I'll copy n paste over into the FB group :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Snooks!

Great effort......

I'd make one suggestion

"No passing at Lights/Junction/Crossings "

Be amended to "Scalping when decelerating into Lights and Junctions doesn't count"

and add

"If you scalp someone you have to maintain or extend your lead for so long a time as to have the dude you just passed admit to himself "I was done". Nipping by then running into a side road / hiding in traffic won't wash....."

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Hello

....But on reading about 'The Game' this will now stop. It is full of hairless (like a lady) roadies in team gear, with that power stuff, computers etc etc and they pass me with ease and I dont have a hope in hell of catching and taking them. I will now be sticking to the fast flat sprint that is Seafield Road.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if they pass you. But if you pass one of them, you've got points coming out of your ears. And cunning counts for almost as much as sprinting ability in this game remember.
  • Clever Pun
    snooks wrote:
    Optional FCN decider:

PEDALS:

I think -1 for clips is excessive personally as nearly everyone has them Might be a per categoery or group thing

Pedals FCN's 1-8
    flats +2
    toeclips +1
    clipless 0

I think full knobbly mountain bikes is a good cut off

9+
    flats +1
    toeclips 0
    clipless -1

Also what's a power meter? one of these?
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/12133/CycleOps_Powertap_Pro_Power_Meter
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Greg T
    does a cycle computer get counted under power meter

I'm torn on this..

Power meters are defo a big adjuster and count heavy in the subtle indicators of "big scalpness" a dude with a power meter is serious about his output......

Whilst a bike 'puter is an additional bit of kit you can get them for 15 quid........

I'd not count a hairy roadie (my class) with a 'puter to be sufficiently diferent from me to give me kudos chips - so I'll get off the fence and say puters = 0....

Discuss

• Greg T
    Clever Pun wrote:

Yep.

and I want one - but now can never have one or I'd look like the Pied Piper of Hameln if all the kids had road bikes......

Right gentlemen - that's it - looking out of the window the weather is officially filthy and my game will be played proper tight tonight and my internal "care-o-meter" will be set very low...

I'll be glad to get home ahead of my one legged Penny farthing Riding Asthmatic younger brother, who has rickets.

Ride very safe.

• Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Yep.

and I want one - but now can never have one or I'd look like the Pied Piper of Hameln if all the kids had road bikes......

:lol: you'd be shieting it all day with that bad boy on there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    someone with a cycle computer obviously cares about how fast they are going and is probably setting targets so it should be a -1

perhaps a full blown power meter being a whole level above should be a -2

Should be good tomorrow for some points:

MTB with nobblys: 9
    Baggies +1
    =10

Speedo possible -1 depending on the agreement

Only other thing is does a camelback count as a backpack being specific cycling kit? (didnt think of this in my earlier post). Also what about a water bottle?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Greg T wrote:
    It never occured to me that a player of the Game would RLJ....

That's the point. All those RLJers who do it and think they've won the point.

Even before we acknowledged 'The Game' I had to fight the urge to sprint after them (safely, when the lights had changed) yelling 'That didn't count That didn't count!'

(PS: It's when they do it going uphill on Holland Park Avenue that it particularly sticks in my craw.)

(PPS: You know who you are!)

(PPPS: Other than that I'm quite laid back...)
    (John F Kennedy)

• snooks
    Clever Pun wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Optional FCN decider:

PEDALS:

I think -1 for clips is excessive personally as nearly everyone has them Might be a per categoery or group thing

Pedals FCN's 1-8
    flats +2
    toeclips +1
    clipless 0

I think full knobbly mountain bikes is a good cut off

9+
    flats +1
    toeclips 0
    clipless -1

Now reads: - BEGINS
    FOOD CHAIN NUMBERS:
    1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls *
    3. Single speed fixed hub *
    4. Single Speed *
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men *
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards) *
    7. "Fast Hybrids" *
    8. MTBs on Skinnies *
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    14. Electric bikes
    * Pedal Adjustment +1
    -ENDS
    I think cycle computers might be a bit hard to spot on a pass, which was why I didn't include them...don't forget we'll be playing this all year round, so how hard would it be to see them in the dark??
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    One more thing that I'd like to put to the floor...FCN 2-4 gain a point for passing the same FCN...otherwise who are the lady legged roadies going to compete with?...not that I know any, but I'm sure they would like to play our manly game!! :wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    First of all, this thread is sheer class. Good work.

I've just been looking at my FCN and I'm thinking Q-bike...

I do a bike train bike commute.

Bike 1 - crosser with full guards (I'm claiming 6), rack and pannier (+1), hub dyno and lights (come on worth a point surely), baggies (+1 over lycra - HA!), and spds (dammit, -1)

looks like 8 or 7 if you're rejecting my dyno hub. As I passed a full shaved like a lady roadie on his Tarmac in team colours a couple of week ago, I'm still feeling chipper.

Bike 2 - and this is where it gets devious
    slicked MTB 8
    single speed (clearly doesn't count on an MTB, right?)
    pannier +1
    baggies (over lycra HA, again, +1)
    SPDs but the cunning ones diguised as flats!!! If I wear lace-up touring shoes surely I get +1 for them
    I'm claiming 11.

Now clearly if someone is REALLY fast and rides a butcher's bike nude then they are
    going to trump anyone but back in the real world I think I'm golden. Who's going to get points off me?

MWAHAHAHAH!!!

J