Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    will3 wrote:
    rhext wrote:
    Oh, I forgot. Do cars count? I pass loads of them!!!

Don't think so - they're at an unfair disadvantage

Not in London they don't! Unless they find one of those rare roads that is clear! But in the centre of the city the bike is king :-)

I think this thread should be made a sticky, mind you with regular updates it won't be far away from the top of the first page!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    yeah plus they are hampered by traffic.

Anyone thought of a facebook group.. bikeradar is there but not THE GAME

I really did have a busy lunch break: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17813152777

For all you people on the facebook head over and join! Maybe we can create a leader board :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Greg T wrote:
    Tandems! Double Bonus for bagging a tandem - I've seen one with a father / daughter (just being rude here there is a "slight" age difference and I fancy her - hello by the way if you post here) combination on the embankment a couple of times - they are however rapid......GT

How much extra for bagging a tandem with low-rise back but no-one on it?

Or a single bike with one of those extensions for another kid on it, with a whippy flag thing that scalped a ped round a corner?!?!?!?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Ronio
    Ronio Posts: 7
    This is class! Rejoined CP as a result.

I'm a high FCN so have been warily looking over my shoulder on last night and this morning's commute!

Good stuff!
    FCN 1
  • garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    Oh God I'm realy confused now..I passed everyone who came within sight this morning ..including a couple of shaven legged rapha capped fixies...But I wasn't on my folder I was on my Viner cross bike with race tyres not knobblies,but nice squeely cantis. So I have no idea where I should slot in into the pecking order!!

I also think that there should be some correlation between miles ridden and people past..ie..if a commute is 5 miles, surley any passing moves are less significant than when 28 miles into a 30 mile commute!
  • garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    Oh God I'm realy confused now..I passed everyone who came within sight this morning ..including a couple of shaven legged rapha capped fixies...But I wasn't on my folder I was on my Viner cross bike with race tyres not knobblies,but nice squeely cantis. So I have no idea where I should slot in into the pecking order!!

I also think that there should be some correlation between miles ridden and people past..ie..if a commute is 5 miles, surley any passing moves are less significant than when 28 miles into a 30 mile commute!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

I really did have a busy lunch break: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17813152777

For all you people on the facebook head over and join! Maybe we can create a leader board :-)

The order on the facebook group, needs changing...according to Greg (I can't catch enough people up, so I'm going to change the order a bit :wink: ) T he's put lady shavers above single speeds now

But what are you on.....

1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls
    3. Single speed fixed hub
    4. Single Speed
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    13. Shoppers wicker baskets
    14. Electric bikes

And I'll have a llok for suitable pics....even if it mean going out and shooting one!! :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Just a thought, I know no-one on the planet has ever done it, but what about a messenger (while working)? surely they must the fastest thing known to man

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I think you need a base rating list for the bike and a modifier list for various accessories

eg base bike is a roadie with shaved legs (like a laydee) (2)
    but with mudguards (+1), rucksack (+1) loaded trailer (+2)
    rider was wearing lycra (-1) and a cap (-2)
    net value = 3
  • Bassjunkieuk
    snooks wrote:

The order on the facebook group, needs changing...according to Greg (I can't catch enough people up, so I'm going to change the order a bit :wink: ) T he's put lady shavers above single speeds now

But what are you on.....

1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls
    3. Single speed fixed hub
    4. Single Speed
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    13. Shoppers wicker baskets
    14. Electric bikes

And I'll have a llok for suitable pics....even if it mean going out and shooting one!! :D

Updated the order, in regards to the taking pics, I think the ultimate scalp would be taking a pic of a shaved legged roadie as you overtake em :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    Yeah it's tricky and there are so many variable.. sometimes you feel cheated if a lower class bike comes past, but if it's a lycra clad cliplless skinny time trialer on a carbon slicked mtb, you feel like that should be taken into account..

however it's a;;a bit too much to think about whilst pumping like hell, trying not to gasp and make Serena Williams noises through exertion.

We can modify our FCN (within reason) but if a shaved lady roadie (actually a man) goes past, that is the main thing... so unless you're a motorbike, no shame.

If anything goes past with a wicker basket, you'd better be planning how best to cut your wrists
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • will3
    So where should a hairy (like a man) ladie roadie fit in? :?
  • snooks
    will3 wrote:
    I think you need a base rating list for the bike and a modifier list for various accessories

net value = 3

I find it hard enough counting groups of bikes I'm dropping along Millbank, let alone trying to find out what they are wearing and whether they have mudguards... Like a hybrid with mudguards would be at 8 with me.

We definitely need number on our backs if it's going to be like this :wink:

But hang on..me slicked up mtb 8 with rucksack +1, and baggies (But not too long) +1, cycle computer -1 (but I could keep in in my pocket) 0 so that would take me to a 10!

I'd be raking it in!!!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    will3 wrote:

net value = 3

I agree........ I mean I wear lycra cycling shorts under my baggies so do they counter each other out?

Also I'm suggesting:

Toe Clips:+1
    Clipless:-1

Think we need Greg T's opinion here as things are gonna get complicated quite quickly! Maybe instead of a cyclist registration scheme the government should just make people wear their FCN :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks

Also I'm suggesting:

Toe Clips:+1
    Clipless:-1

But even that is getting confusing now, I've seen a few (Real girls _not the lady shavers!) with normal pinky trainers that are spd compatable...so if it's the clipless FCN adjustment route, may I suggest they have to be seen to be clipless, i.e. cycling shoes...I think toe clips should be 0 and flat pedals be +1?
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639

I agree........ I mean I wear lycra cycling shorts under my baggies so do they counter each other out?

Appearance is everything, remember! Who cares what's underneath. You're only cheating if you're caught.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Maybe I was being a bit overzealous with regards to pedals! It's quite obvious when someone is using SPD's when they have cycling shoes on but I use a pair of the Lidl shoes which look like normail trainers but have cleats underneath :-) From a standing start (for those that actually stop at redlights and don't trackstand!) you can hear them clipping in which is an easier way to spot them!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • This is a great thread, mad as a fish, but great! :D
    WTF is FCN? have I missed something.
    I rarely if ever pass anyone, as there is hardly never anyone to pass, so quiet is my route. Occasionally I do get to out drag one of those electric abominations, but the rider never pedals, so not sure if that counts
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Bassjunkieuk
    This is a great thread, mad as a fish, but great! :D
    WTF is FCN? have I missed something.
    I rarely if ever pass anyone, as there is hardly never anyone to pass, so quiet is my route. Occasionally I do get to out drag one of those electric abominations, but the rider never pedals, so not sure if that counts

FCN = Food Chain Number i.e where you sit in the pecking order :-) Have a look about a page back for the current revision :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    i think backpack should be +0 as racks are +1. No pack should be -1 perhaps?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • snooks
    Dav1 wrote:
    i think backpack should be +0 as racks are +1. No pack should be -1 perhaps?

I think that's fair :)

I'm so close to printing out a copy of The Game Rules and sticking it up it in or changing rooms and cycle storage!!! :twisted:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Rucksacks / messenger bags = 0.

Agree No pack =-1

This is a good adjuster...

The pedal type only really kicks in when you start to top out over the hybrids....... have you ever seen a dude on a brompton clipless?

The answer to that of course is not previously but I gather that there may well be a rake of souped up regeared bromptons with toe clips and dudes with quads like cow legs humping down the embankment banging out 120 RPM and 25 mph by monday.

Brothers - we need an evaluation of the mathematics.....

There is a stage following the base FCN and adjuster where subtle indicators start to kick in. a 6" rake thin hairy roadie with an obscure bike shop rig on and tyranosauros thighs would (in my opinion) top out over a bog standard shaved Roadie (like a lady).

These subtle clues need to be assessed by the gamer and an honesty decision made as to the validity of the scalping. This is a game you basically play with your ego after all. Your Ego is a fierce critic and will keep you dare I say it "real".......

In the same way when you are leading the pack and the clock is ticking to scalp those drafting you pick a point in your route after which you are going to claim the win - then tuck in your head take a deep breath, put it up a gear and with all the guile you can mustedr pretend it's no big deal and put the hammer down....

Let us not however even consider suggesting a scalping of a class beneath even "if they looked well tasty" if you are considering this your ego needs to be recalibrated as you are a wrong 'un.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I agree........ I mean I wear lycra cycling shorts under my baggies so do they counter each other out?

No. Lots of baggies come with clip in lycra these days, bringing your own doesn't cancel out the bagginess. +1 :)
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited July 2008
    what about setting the FCN down and having the adjustments as a sticky and on the facebook thingy

as regards to distance if you're flagging you could lose points, some random upstart doesn't know you've already racked up 20+miles when he's just warmed up for his 4 mile sprint.

Appearance is key flog yourself to victory or at the very least parity....

If someones behind you it's not a bad thing to get your head down and lose them.... unless they still breeze past you :lol: and if they have a number on their back? Feel the shame. train hard and beat them next time

a persons size doesn't make a difference if a fat dude decides to wear rapha/assos kits and have a pricey bike, he's going to be rubbish at THE GAME. Be unassuming and win, but stick your balls on the line and feel the glowing pride when you still keep a clean sheet. It's a fine line people.

Good luck on your way home... you'll need it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk

No. Lots of baggies come with clip in lycra these days, bringing your own doesn't cancel out the bagginess. +1 :)

Excellent! I'll have to update my FCN now......I'm now a 6 :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    SecretSam wrote:
    Just a thought, I know no-one on the planet has ever done it, but what about a messenger (while working)? surely they must the fastest thing known to man

common misconception imo they're easy to pass in the open... but in any sort of traffic they just don't slow down at all and will whip past you

Keeping ahead of them is the problem
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I am so pleased it isn't just me who thinks this way.

I'm struggling to work out my FCN though. As I understand it, my baseline as
    a hairy roadie is 5, but with the following offences to be taken into consideration:

clipless pedals = -1
    rucksack = 0
    helmet/wraparounds = -1
    lycra = -1
    Grand Total = FCN 2 (??)

However, I sometimes wear a TdF KOM or a wannabe Liquigaz jersey.
    I sometimes wear baggies on top of my lycra but am happy to accept the +1 penalty.
    However, for commuting I sometimes wear freeride pants which are definitely not baggy, but also aren't bona fide roadiewear.

What does it all mean? I must know.

I need arbitration, referee!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • snooks
    edited July 2008
    Greg, all you said makes sense, it's up to the individual to conclude whether it's a point worthy victory/scalp.

Overtaking a OAP creaking along on an aging on a road bike, is hardy the same as a hairy carbon roadie...Both would be a "point", but I'd feel guity taking a point from an OAP. The same as taking their seat on a train, it's not right, so be fair to them and honest with yourself.

Any reservations as to whther they are a worthy point, you can then start adding/subtracting the fine tuning FCN adjusters :)

Oh and on the Lycra front....surely it should be something like:

Normal clothing +2
    Baggies +1
    Lycra 0
    Team kit -1

Just a thought :) It might even things out a bit, cos if I pass a roadie in normal (non cycling clothes) that would take them down to my level skinny shoed mtb...so that would be a no pointer for me...seems fair what does anyone else think?
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Clever Pun
    -1 for lycra??? no way
    it's +1 for flats no change for clipless as they're common these days
    no idea about wraparounds tbh

+1 for baggies sure
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • will3
    I think some categories should come with 'free' upgrades.
    For example there should be no penalty for a roadie shaved (like a laydee) or hairy (like a man) wearing lycra. That is what roadies do.
    Similarly, panniers on a tourer are standard kit.

It's possible that shaved(like a laydee) roadies should be allowed poseur kit as well (wraparounds wannabe jerseys )
    thoughts?