Silly commuting racing

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Where do recumbents stand (or should that be sit?) in the food chain??

Not that I've seen one to try to overtake, but there's a first for everything
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not being smug or nuffink... but I very very very rarely get dropped/overtaken and I'm on an SS. Actually I got out sprinted once but that wasn't fair he was a roadie and had the advantage of gears, my legs just won't spin faster than 120rpm! If I ever get dropped by a slicked up MTB shame may well force me to retire from cycling. :D
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    right lads, you can bicker and sneak up on each other all you want darn sarf..
    I'm off to hunt out anyone I can... I'm taking the long route to the girlfriend's place and even if I see a club racing roadie (never happens round here) way up ahead, I'm gonna have em.. obviously without perspiring a thimble full

sukkas
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • 2wheelzgood
    snooks wrote:

snooks yer on a slicked MTB,, you're being far too optimistic mate!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    snooks wrote:

I was thinking that 'bents weren't on the food chain but there again they are so rare and 'niche that they might just be worth an "exotic" tag and bragging rights.

I've heard that the big danger with dropping 'bents is that strands of the 'bent pilot's beard gets caught up in your cassette and you are off.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • snooks
    snooks wrote:

snooks yer on a slicked MTB,, you're being far too optimistic mate!

I didn't say I would drop one...but I'd try :D

For a few seconds at least
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Took a scooter on Blackfriars hill once, I could hear his engine screaming behind me. Fair play to the fella he stopped at the lights and said:
    Him "Do you know how fast you were going back there? I couldn't catch you"
    Me: "No idea mate" (complete lie of course)
    I was struggling manfully not to look completely blown, I hatethat feeling when your lungs are gasping for air but you just can't let on!
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:

Snooks is a poacher of scalps - do not accept the self effacement dummy....

17 last night - we should make him wear a special hat.

Where has JonGinge gone? has he succumbed to his injuries already?

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    snooks wrote:

On the flat quite high up. On the hills not so good. I overtook one on Dark hill in richmond park once, it looked like it was about to wheelie
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg T wrote:
    Where has JonGinge gone? has he succumbed to his injuries already?

Still here, brain swelling as I type.

I must be concussed as the thought of midweek turbo training was starting to look attractive. Had a cuppa instead.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    Greg T wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Snooks is a poacher of scalps - do not accept the self effacement dummy....

17 last night - we should make him wear a special hat.

I was hoping for a rear facing paint ball gun instead!!! :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    edited July 2008
    Took a scooter on Blackfriars hill once, I could hear his engine screaming behind me. Fair play to the fella he stopped at the lights and said:
    Him "Do you know how fast you were going back there? I couldn't catch you"
    Me: "No idea mate" (complete lie of course)
    I was struggling manfully not to look completely blown, I hatethat feeling when your lungs are gasping for air but you just can't let on!

I have a tear in my eye.

Pulling off the "Oh was I really" look is a thing of grace and guile.

Right then Fellas...

I'm off - I'll be out of the Wharf at about 6ish having a bash on trying to find my way off Commercial road at the city end then onto the embankment and hunting...

I'm on a silver lemond with a day glo hump with my FCN on it.

Game on.

• This thread has had me in stitches today. Briilant stuff.

I have often engaged in commuter combat and had a similar rider hierachy in my head - particulary when I get overtaken by a roadie....so I don't feel too downhearted.

The key is the 'effort-less' part especially on an uphill. The joy in gliding past a 'superior' class deserves some kind of hand signal perhaps (ever so subtle of course).

See you out there!

S.

Fast Hybrid + 1 for hefty panniers (I've got a laptop everyday goddammit): FCN: 8
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Greg T
    SiHughes wrote:
    The joy in gliding past a 'superior' class deserves some kind of hand signal perhaps (ever so subtle of course).

The alarm bells that go off in my head and the booing of the voices that normally just tell me to kill people is more than enough to tell me that I've been had.......

Right I really am off now.

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    One warning about the game!

Last week I was on my Full Sus MTB with Nobblies (can only afford two bikes, my Road bike is on a turbo trainer at the moment and my commute is only 2.5 miles anyway) riding along a cycle path. I was wearing normal work clothes, trouser clips and no helmet. However I did have SPDs and a crumpler. Basically I'm as far down the food chain as it is possible to be.

I was looking for a left hand turn onto another cycle path, I saw it between some trees, stopped and turned left, temporarily blocking the path. I heard a chain noise, looked around just in time to see someone playing 'the game' (old style hardshell helmet, mudguards, drop handlebars, track suit trousers I think) slam on their brakes and ride into the hedge to avoid me (even though I'd moved in time). I apologised, saw their dirty look and rode off.

If you're playing the game watch out for people like me :twisted: !

Steve C
    Steve C
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    Tour de Commute Fife-Edinburgh stage - +10 (passed 10 got passed by 0)

4 MTBs 3 roadbikes 3 Hybrids.

Had to sprint for a prime from Haymarket though (guy on a pale blue Giant road bike). Both left the lights at the same time and went for it. I just got a couple of bike lengths in front before the turn off at where the tram workings are - made that light (yellow) he didn't. Best bit of the morning!

These small victories all count!
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...on the final up hill this morning...one bloke on an old mountain bike and one chap in a suit with his jacket fixed to the carrier of his hybrid...didn't feel good, no challange, actually felt a little ashamed as I passed Mr Suit...I am on my hardtail today as I ride home off road...

...all hail the embankment peloton...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Greg T
    sc999cs wrote:
    ......just in time to see someone playing 'the game' (old style hardshell helmet, mudguards, drop handlebars, track suit trousers I think) ......

That was Snooks in his plain wrapper bagging scalps again.

Chewa's in the mix
    Chewa wrote:

But what are you on.....

1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls
    3. Single speed fixed hub
    4. Single Speed
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    13. Shoppers wicker baskets
    14. Electric bikes

Only those above you in the food chain (with adjustments for clothing, kit, power meters etc) count..... are you on a brompton.
    ChrisLS wrote:
    felt a little ashamed as I passed Mr Suit...

backsliding like that cost us a bridge......

Leave them behind in your vapour trail...

Now let's talk about me me me.

Last night's confirmed scalp was a solitary singlie just on the Millbank wind tunnel stretch. Very pleasing hit as he thought he was untouchable and gave me a big Paddington stare as I cruised by - seemingly without labouring - little did he know I was hangingout for the lights and secret breather.....

Now we need to have a view for how long a higher class needs to draft you for to claim them....

I was cat and mousing a loose bag of hairy roadies through Fulham / Parsons Green last night - I had the Alpha male (more to follow) in my sights....

A terrible piece of lane selection had me stood still and them whipping through a gap leaving me cold.

In a vacuum I flogged myself over Putney and by the lights on the other side I was back with them.

Now this Alpha male...

Shaved Roadie (like a lady) FCN 2
    Power Meter -1 (FCN 1)
    Aero Bars -1 (FCN 0)

and - you'll like this -

Yellow Jersey -1 (FCN -1)

This guy was a bigger scalp than a scooter...... he had a minus FCN number!

Now then - It was Me, him and whippet hairy roadie. I let Alpha and the whippet pull me up to the green and was going to let them pull me home until my pride got the better of me.

I made my move a couple of hundred meters short of the little roundabout by the old hospital and ragged myself senseless up the green and over the little hump backed rail bridge.....

neither the Alpha or the whippet attached even in the mountains (bridge). They both turned off to Richmond park at the next lights...

Now is this 600M stretch long enough to book the win?

(We did chat at the lights and everyone was very nonchalant (how doi you spell that) about it all but the eyes told the truth... mine said "I flogged myself ragged")

This morning I played a tight defensive game and kept a clean sheet despite the attention of some keen hunting Hybrids......

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited July 2008
    Do you get points for passing others on the same level?

I lost count of the number I overtook

I passed 3 fixed/single speeds and 6 roadies (i'd sneak up behind checking the legs out hoping for them to be shaved and dissaopinted whan not,.... this worries me) last night on my way to play netball... then I saw a roadie ahead of me dressed down but spinning happily enough I set him in my sights... he saw me and headed off. Ooo Game on I thought, I caught him and breezed past him and kept up 22-23 out of fear (but not showing any effort of course)... anyway couple of miles later this dude is still with me traffic and lights are a bitch then all of a sudden he drops me!!! right that's it the gloves are off this dude is going down. The bastard only immeditatly signals left and turns off for home the utter sh[i[/i]]t...

this is for you cammo pants roadie ---> :x yeah have some of that

I'm on the brompton tomorrow going to be a pointfest mmmwuhahaha

EDIT: Clarification for my brompton riding I wear flip flops and shorts or trousers and trainers and a smart shirt... the gearing is highered though
    does that put me at 9 or do the fli flip bring a casual cool and drop me back down to 10?
    Either way about 4 miles tomorrow morning will bring +10 scalps at least score!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • 2wheelzgood
    edited July 2008
    Greg T wrote:

1. Scooters
    4. Single Speed
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    14. Electric bikes

Ah sweet Shaved (like a Lady) roadies are above fixed and ss now.. genius.

I was really worried this morning about a hairy legs (chav tracksuit) tracksuit (possibly shellsuit!.. is that +1 or +2?) roadie.

He was just coming from a side road onto the main road I was on as I was between traffic lights.. and I noticed him, I eyed his sleek racing bike, thinking he's gonna be outa sight but when the fool started riding on the pavement I was wondering about who I'd post on here..
    surely you can't claim scalps on the pavement? Anyway as I was dismissing him , the light ahead changed to green and I got ou of the saddle knowing they'd not stay green for long (not a set to RLJ- death comes fast)

I got outof the saddle and glanced back.. and to my horror.. chavroadie is now out of the seat and hammering it in the middle of the road!.. Well it's contentious but I kept caning it as I claim I was making sure I got the light, not primarily on keeping a clean sheet.

having got the (amber) light and we both squeezed through and he's still behind me (I was so nervous for all of the 5.5 miles this morning.. far too many lookbacks.. I need disqualifying!) It's uphill and taking it easy on a ss, you can easily be taken unawares..

So now we're on a arterial road into the City but I'm not going there, I'm turning off and going back to mine so reckon I'm good.. but he's behind me. Not drafting, about 5-8 bike lengths.. it's downhill now so I am anticipating the inevitable (it is fair game to ride in the centre of the lane to block them?). I used my +1 aerobar to maintain 25mph and still no scalpage.. at the bottom there was a a flat bit and I am now breathing hard and dreading the short sharp climb but I made myself stay seated and without bodysway to the top at almost record speed, only 1 mph down on a previous best when I stood up.. With my lungs now bursting I am 200m from the turn off to my road which other than a couple of residential roads, is a cul-de-sac that I use to recover. yes I usually don't even let cars on the main street see me suffer!

But hairy roadie is still behind me (spidey sense now, I swear I didn't look back again) and I had to drive all the way up to the end of my road. Finally coasting and looking back with a tiny smirk, but he's gone.. not a soul on the street!

victory was hollow and keeping a clean sheet so hard!
    I feel for you guys. I only really had him, we some other of FCN 20 or more probably who turned off in shame I guess before I got to them.

One other thing. I saw my foldie riding assessor yesterday whilst on the way to my girl's place.. the one who humiliated me a few months ago.. almost had a fit after all this GAME talk yesterday.. and it constantly being on my mind.. Luckily for me he was going in the opposite direction but the cheeky evil git with his upright stance and hi-vis, gave me a knowing smile!
    I'll uey and he's having it next time.
    gregT wrote:
    Now we need to have a view for how long a higher class needs to draft you for to claim them....
    too right. but in my case I would have fallen foul to such a rule. Hairy (chav) roadie having been behind me.. maybe not close enough to be technically drafting) for some time, and me thinking he was a class lower.. as it was we were level FCNs.

gregt wrote:

Now this Alpha male...

Shaved Roadie (like a lady) FCN 2
    Power Meter -1 (FCN 1)
    Aero Bars -1 (FCN 0)

and - you'll like this -

Yellow Jersey -1 (FCN -1)

This guy was a bigger scalp than a scooter...... he had a minus FCN number!
    I'm spitting coffee on my desk here :lol::lol::lol: I dunno, the length s some people will goto but more fool them for inadvertently being top of the pile! (aero bars pah!) :D

All in pretty eventful for you too Greg, good work! I love the eyes thing!

My legs were like jelly when I got in, how to you keep it up?
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• snooks
    Greg T wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:
    ......just in time to see someone playing 'the game' (old style hardshell helmet, mudguards, drop handlebars, track suit trousers I think) ......

That was Snooks in his plain wrapper bagging scalps again.

Hang on, just one minute...I might have been using a train for the last two days, but pleeze think about what you've just said...There are no need for insults!!!

Old style helmet?...Me?...NO!....Just carbon and Kevlar for me
    Mud guards?...NOO!...I like it dirty :twisted:
    Drop Handlebars...NOOOO!...Do I look like a roadie?? (I just drop em!!) :wink:
    Track Suit Trousers?.....NOOOOOOOOOOOO! (well not outside the house anyway) :roll:

Walking to the station last night I saw a girl on a slick MTB do a tourer...Has to stop myself shouting "PLUS ONE!"

You think that's bad, but getting off the train in the morning I was walking faster to try to pass someone walking with a folder!!! The Game NEVER stops!!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • virtuoso
    virtuoso Posts: 45
    Greg T wrote:
    virtuoso wrote:
    I'm that competitive that I've never been overtaken in 6 months since I started my 23 mile commute, and never been unable to overtake anyone..

Virtuoso is target number one - I'll support a formal Declaration of Cool to anyone who scalps our man......

So then big lad where are you riding and how will we recognise you?
    I commute on a beaten up Carrera Virtuoso adorned with everything possible to make it slower such as marathon plus tyres and toe clips on my pedals. I commute along the Bristol/Bath cycle path into Bristol getting there at about 8.15

To give you an idea of what I'm doing I tend to do 30 minutes for 10 miles on my commute without particularly pusing it.

Please feel free to race me anyone that also uses the cycle path!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Drafted a couple of hairy roadies for four miles last night, dropping them just before my turn-off. Thankfully, although i upgraded from MTB to road bike only that day, I had the foresight to keep the baggies.....thus returning to a zero balance for the day (I think).

Re sprinting out of the saddle....I reckon legitimate on hills (that's the way I always climb) and off the lights (how else would I get up to my 25MPH - yeah, right - comfortable cruising speed)? What do you think?

Gamesmanship? Never!
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    Greg T wrote:
    Chewa's in the mix
    Chewa wrote:

But what are you on.....

1. Scooters
    4. Single Speed
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    14. Electric bikes

Only those above you in the food chain (with adjustments for clothing, kit, power meters etc) count..... are you on a brompton.

Ah well!

I'm on a 531c Audax/fast touring frame, with full guards and a Blackburn rack, one pannier,

Carry every tool I could possibly need to fix anything on the bike so it's a bit heavy. Biggest gear is a 46/13 so it's a real touring set up.

Any allowance made for age?.At 47 the folks I passed this morning were all 20 years plus younger than me..... and I've got a bad ankle (motorbike crash 12 years ago).

Did I mention my war wound? :lol:
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • Greg T
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Do you get points for passing others on the same level?

CP - no points for bagging your own class - this truly is the pain of the game. If I was scoring hairy roadies I'd be happy man, er that doesn't sound right - stil moving on - not only do you score no points for bagging a same classer and TECHNICALLY there is no shame in being dropped by a same classer it still doesn't feel right... Basically you are pushed to lead your class and harvest the classes above. The danger is a fellow classer comes alongside - you decide that internicene (don't often have to spell that apols) bagging don't count - they go by you and - to your absolute horror and shame - are towing a kids trailer - leaving you wiith egg on your face and lifetime of hurt on the the way home....
    anyway couple of miles later this dude is still with me traffic and lights are a bitch then all of a sudden he drops me!!! right that's it the gloves are off this dude is going down. The bastard only immeditatly signals left and turns off for home the utter sh[i[/i]]t...

Obviously didn't have the cojones to challenge for the top spot from the big dog on the level - I'd claim that as a win. Some "urban" dude on a hybrid did the same to me yesterday - Fooled no-one.
    EDIT: Clarification for my brompton riding I wear flip flops and shorts or trousers and trainers and a smart shirt... the gearing is highered though
    does that put me at 9 or do the fli flip bring a casual cool and drop me back down to 10?
    Either way about 4 miles tomorrow morning will bring +10 scalps at least score!

There is danger here....

Brompton 10
    Flip flops - 1 (FCN (11)

You are a bottom feeding raider and I need to be on my guard.......

yes I usually don't even let cars on th emain street see me suffer!

I hear your words brother! Show no pain! Strength and Honour!
    But hairy roadie is still behind me (spidey sense now, I swear I didn't look back again) and I had to drive all the way up to t heend of my road. Fionally coasting and looking back with a tiny smirk, but he's gone.. not a sould on the street!

victory was hollow and keeping a clean sheet so hard!

That's not a hollow Victory that should be turned into a film! Daniel Craig should play you and the hairy roadie should be played by Vin Diesel - pumping soundtrack and it all ends with you banging his Mrs!

There's a Big Dog Alpha Male Shaved Roadie on the Embankment run - he escaped my clutches in traffic last night. All black kit, black naked carbon bike, black wheels, black lid, black aero bars - you get the drift - tri type with big Triceps.

He is a big scalp.

He was at Millbank at about 1830 last night......

• joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    It's not fair - I didn't come across a soul on my 15 mile ride home last night and again this morning.

Although if I'd left work half an hour later yesterday I would have had to contend with a time trial event - phew! Although I reckon I could have had a couple of them - any extra points for a scalp invovled in such an activity?

Hoping to find someone to catch tonight...Hmmm might have to change my route...

'07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Oh, I forgot. Do cars count? I pass loads of them!!!
  • 2wheelzgood
    This powermeter stuff.. what is a powermeter? Is now a bad time to own up to using a bike computer and keeping an eye on the speed setting? (it's not a wireless poncey one and doesn't have a cadence function so I guess I'm not getting a -1).. I hope. :? :shock:
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    rhext wrote:
    Oh, I forgot. Do cars count? I pass loads of them!!!

Don't think so - they're at an unfair disadvantage
  • 2wheelzgood
    yeah plus they are hampered by traffic.

Anyone thought of a facebook group.. bikeradar is there but not THE GAME
    FCN8 Dawes Audax