LBS that let you test the bikes?

BenHur
BenHur Posts: 3
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I live in Berkshire and want to test ride a road bike before I buy it.

I'm coming over from a mountain bike and have never tried a road bike before.

I can't really contemplate spending hundreds of pounds on a bike I've only sat on in the shop.

Does anyone know any LBS that will allow me to do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• MIsterGoof
    MIsterGoof Posts: 128
    Sorry can't help with specifics but

every shop I've been into has let me test ride bikes - only around the block kind of thing, often I just need to hand over a CC for the period

Have you asked ?
  • oldholborn
    oldholborn Posts: 114
    Had the same problem myself.
    Anywhere local to you hire bikes?
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    AW Cycles in Caversham are very good.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If a LBS won't let you test a bike then its not worth dealing with. I went to Fatbirds in Hunstanton and there was no problem at all. They had a suggested route to try out bikes which was long enough to get a good impression and included some hills. No CC was asked for but I supposed I looked boring enough not to ride off with a bike.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    markos1963 wrote:
    If a LBS won't let you test a bike then its not worth dealing with. I went to Fatbirds in Hunstanton and there was no problem at all. They had a suggested route to try out bikes which was long enough to get a good impression and included some hills. No CC was asked for but I supposed I looked boring enough not to ride off with a bike.

What markos1963 said.

If they won't let you, don't do business with them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My LBS insists you test ride a bike before they'll sell it to you!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Not sure where you are in Berks. If you are anywhere near Newbury try Banjo cycles. Mark there is very friendly and will let you try before you buy.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • BenHur
    BenHur Posts: 3
    I've just joined this forum today and it's great to get a response.

Thanks to you all.

Thanks especially to Mystique, Caversham is not too from me so I'll give AW a try.

I did buy my mountain bike from my LBS without riding it but a racer is a whole different ball game.

The response I got when I asked about test riding was, "try and borrow one" (from a friend).

I'm not trying to slate my LBS who have been helpful in the past but it does seem like a major flaw when your looking a Giants and Colnagos ranging from £750 - £1250.

Having done a duathlon and L2B this year it wasn't hard to see how much better a road bike would be.
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    +1 for AW
    Although they stock alot of the top end at scarey prices...
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    If you do go to AW may be worth getting a bike fitting. If you do buy a bike from them they will refund the fitting cost.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    A bike fitting and a test ride is all any potential buyer wants, but this is rare, and it always pleases when I hear of an LBS offering both of these essential pre-buy conditions.
  • A second vote for Banjo; hoping to get a go on a Tarmac or Roubaix myself next week.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I used to stroll in with my dogs, leave them and cycle off.

As they are 2 of the biggest softest shacks of sh1t know, the owners always quite looked sad when I came back.
    Once I felt the wife with a shop in Worthing, unfortunately I wasn't that taken with the bike.
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Are you sure you meant "felt" :lol::lol::lol:
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Mystique wrote:
    Are you sure you meant "felt" :lol::lol::lol:

Damn my early morning postie dyslexia :lol:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yeah, our postie must be equally dyslexic when he puts next door's post through our letterbox :lol: