Broken chain, fix or replace?

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
My drivechain felt very odd coming down the last bit of White's Level...kept dropping to the granny ring and at the bottom I noticed one side plate thingy of the chain had opened up and then unsurprisingly enough it then broke on the fireroad back to the car park.

Firstly, did it break because I had taken it apart to clean/soak previously on any old link, or does it have to be a specific link when you split it?

Secondly, shall I put it back together or just get a new one? I keep hearing that you should renew your chain to prolong drivetrain life, in fairness it's only 6 months old but has had a lot of abuse and a lot of mud. i'm happy to renew as long as it won't then be a pain becasue of unmatched wear rates.

If it's a renew job which chain shall I go for? Drivetrain is LX chainrings, LX front mech, XT rear mech and 9 speed SRAM casette.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Well if you did not use a joining pin then things like you describe happen.

If you regularly like to remove the chain for cleaning look at using some connecting plates.
    Like the Sram power links.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    SRAM chains are excellent - power links are piece of p155 to remove for cleaning. I always carry a spare link, a trailside repair can be done in a couple of minutes. Just changed my chain and needed a new cassette even though it has only done maybe 500-600 miles in filth. Chain just skipped over cassette - I guess it was more worn than it looked.
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Iain C
    Ah, that will be me making a booboo then!

So am I best just getting a whole new SRAM chain and powerlink then? Like this one?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ed%20Chain

Bit worried about this though...is it new cassette time or will mine be OK at 6 months old?

"If you change your chain, you must replace the cassette sprockets at the same time or the new chain will skip over them under load."
  • nicklouse
    it depends on how worn the cassette is.

why not just remove the split outers and fit a powerlink?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Iain C
    Because I've taken the chain off more than once (twice I think) so there's probably another link on the verge of breaking too...somewhere...

I'll have a look at the casette but I really don't think it's very worn...I'll put a new chain on and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Guys - what happens when you buy a new chain. Do they come the correct lenght or do you need to shorten them? If you do, how do you do it as surely this is like splitting a chain later, or do you get special links. I need to remove a chain so how do I go about it, do I need to buy a link or something to replace the pin I push out?
  • nicklouse
    chains need making the correct length.

you will need a chain spliter.

read the how toos on Parktools.