Could someone tell me if this route is commutable?

timothius
timothius Posts: 61
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I am about to start work in Guildford and am looking to rent a place around 4 miles away from my place of work. The distance is not a problem, but I am unsure if it is possible to cycle to work (because of the A roads etc).

Here is a google map of the route:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=boxgrove+park+guildford+to+surrey+research+park&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.544511,37.265625&ie=UTF8&z=14

If someone could possibly look at the route and tell me if it looks bike friendly, that would be great :)

Thanks.

[/url]

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    The A3 is NOT bike friendly IMHO - I've never tried it on two wheels, but it's not that car friendly, elevated in chunks, two lanes, narrow, and lots of cars peeling on / off it through Guildford so they tend not to watch the lanes. Rush hour it's horrible!

Someone with local knowledge would have a much better idea, but if it was me, I would be more inclined to head down on to the A246, take a random path through the town (all from memory 30mph and traffic lights / roundabouts a plenty). Pick up the A31, to cross the railway line, and then at the roundabout immediately after it, turn right up Guildford Park road, and then you can probably find a diagonal route up from there (via the Chase?) to the research park.

Apart from the numerous junctions all of that should be reasonably comfortable for a competent cyclist IMHO.

Good luck with the new job.

Rufus.
  • timothius
    Thanks for the help :)

Perhaps this route would be a bit less suicidal:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... 72784&z=14

I think I should be able to manage that one, as from the satellite images the roads look relatively tame.

Is 4 miles a reasonable commute on a bike every day? I think I will have to modify my hardtail MTB with some thinner road tires otherwise the rolling resistance is going to be horrible...
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    That route looks much better!

4 miles each way on a hardtail should be more than do-able for anyone with an adequate level of fitness. Even with fat wheels it should be manageable, but skinnier tyres would help, as well as of course general good bike maintenance, and decent tyre pressure.

A few weeks of that and you'll be taking detours via country lanes to the south to extend your journey to something a little longer :wink:

Make sure you take a pump and spare tube, as 2 miles+ is a long way to walk with a flat! And it wouldn't harm to check out parking and changing facilities in advance of starting work!

Enjoy!

Rufus.
  • timothius
    HI,

I walked half of the route yesturday and it was darn easy. Lots of residential roads and the smaller A roads are ok.

My work place has a shower apparently, so at least I won't have to hold back when I cycle in. They also have a bike rack. I'm just trying to figure out how to get a suit to work without creasing it. Perhaps I can find a locked lab or something...

Got back on the bike yesterday - my cycling ability has gone to hell! I don't get out of breath - as my legs BURN way before I get to that point. I normally walk a few miles a day - so I think i'm using muscles that I've not used in some time.