Silly commuting racing

Comments

• chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    Nothing better than catching someone who has passed you (often I'm in a world of my own as I wear an ipod switched on when on the cyclepath) and sneaking up behind them, clicking up a gear on your ergos and as they hear the click seeing them look round with that resigned, crushed look in their eyes!
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    mean! but fair I think!

Chewa, having read another topic of yours, would I be right in assuming you might sneak up on the girls with ventilation and pause a second over their shoulder before clicking up a gear? :twisted: :lol:
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    mean! but fair I think!

Chewa, having read another topic of yours, would I be right in assuming you might sneak up on the girls with ventilation and pause a second over their shoulder before clicking up a gear? :twisted: :lol:

How very dare you! :lol:
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    JonGinge wrote:
    No heroics today ;) In fact, I didn't complete my commute. Got left-hooked going through fulham and have a face full of road rash*. Many thanks to the guys who stopped and sorted me out a bit, much appreciated.

* bike is mainly ok.

Oooooogh

That's the Universal Karma God monkeying with you.

One day you drop a scooter on the Blackfriars underpass - Hero.

Next day you have an off and look like the elephant man. For myself I'm just relieved that I have one less predator to compete with on the embankment.....
    One further consideration is how to locate your victims/pursuers.

This is exactly what I worked out last night this morning.....

So I'm getting drafted by a Klingon last night...... lurking all the way down the embankment.. Made his move on the parson Green Stretch running into the lights but failed in his breakaway and I had him 100M down the road - he was my singlie scalp - problem was - was he fixed or freewheel - couldn't tell without looking too bothered....

Also this morning I was lining up two shaved (like a lady) roadies on Putney Green - a brace of scalps to start the day I thought - I was reeling them in but they went on the inside of the traffic queue and got blocked in. I knew then as I went by on the outside that I'd fluffed it - That they had hidden from me in traffic and had prevented me scalping them on a technicality - had they seen me coming?
    Finally, experienced secret racers may have a fourth option: spidey senses.

Amen brother - coming along Lower Thanes this morning (after my hybrid ambushing) I felt a presence and had a peek behind as I moved out to avoid a left turner (allowable as I see it) there he was 200m behind me moving at speed......

It was on. I had to make it to the lights at Thames gateway - with the mountains of tower hill in between to get to safety. Endorphins and Adrenalin racing I was off - needless to say mon braves that with 200m to make up and me with my hair on fire he did not have me.....

So this morning I let two shaved (like a lady) roadies escape me when I should have given them space to be dropped properly but avoided a proper bumpiing.

I'm booking it as a win.

GT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T
    virtuoso wrote:
    I'm that competitive that I've never been overtaken in 6 months since I started my 23 mile commute, and never been unable to overtake anyone..

Virtuoso is target number one - I'll support a formal Declaration of Cool to anyone who scalps our man......

So then big lad where are you riding and how will we recognise you?

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I've got a couple of days on the train today and tomorrow (after work drinkypoos :D ) But I hope to be back soon....17 to beat remember

Think I might buy me a shopper with a basket and do a bit of tweaking... :twisted:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    is that llike those ford fiestas you see burn sprts cars off cos the owners is on oldskoolford.com and is a mega keen mechanic who has fitted a cosworth engine, but put a "baby on board " sticker in the back and dented the side panels on purpose for good measure...
    that's underhand that is!

I'm going to get a bmx but put a silly gear sp I can do 25mph!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:
    I've got a couple of days on the train today and tomorrow (after work drinkypoos :D ) But I hope to be back soon....17 to beat remember

Think I might buy me a shopper with a basket and do a bit of tweaking... :twisted:

Oh!

Now it comes out. So Snooks puts in one big show and wakes up this morning feeling a little stiff and bails onto the train.

I'm on this all week and have my cousin to beat around Richmond Park this weekend......

I think there is a big chance that Snooks posts that he dropped "Ian Hislop on a road bike this morning" - i.e. ME - as I'm so degraded from 120 miles worth of Food Chaining that I succumb to a bloke on a rusty MTB....

Snooks is playing off a handicap way to high for him and we all know it....... Dude I think you need ot do the neccesary - get yourself a road bike.......

How I'm going to find 18 Shaved (like a lady) Roadies or Singlies in a single night to beat him is going to be very tough.......

Perhaps there should be an inverse scoring system.... Big Guns bring more points?

• snooks
    Greg T wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Oh!

Now it comes out. So Snooks puts in one big show and wakes up this morning feeling a little stiff and bails onto the train.

Erm..... 17 Vs 3! :wink: On this mornings performance you'll have to ride for 5 days more to beat me!!! :P No one said it would be easy!!! hehe

Anyway, I try to commute in about once a week, and usually I'm only in the office about two days a week...So it's not as if I can do it every day. This week has been an exception, so I'm making the most of it and going for beers after work...For a lardy like me 26 miles in a day is god going, let alone doing it two days in a row :)
    Greg T wrote:
    Snooks is playing off a handicap way to high for him and we all know it....... Dude I think you need ot do the neccesary - get yourself a road bike.......

How I'm going to find 18 Shaved (like a lady) Roadies or Singlies in a single night to beat him is going to be very tough.......

You could wear baggies and put a pannier on!!! :twisted:

That would take you to a fast hybrid

I don't know whether I could be a roadie, don't I have to be about 12ft and never breath or perspire?
    Greg T wrote:
    Perhaps there should be an inverse scoring system.... Big Guns bring more points?

Then everybody would have to have their scores on their back and calculator on their handlebars.

Oh and what do you get for a segway: http://www.segway.com/

Dropped one on the approach to Westminister bridge last night! Surely there must be a Brucey Bonus for rarity :wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:
    Then everybody would have to have their scores on their back and calculator on their handlebars.........

Oh and what do you get for a segway: http://www.segway.com/

Dropped one on the approach to Westminister bridge last night! Surely there must be a Brucey Bonus for rarity :wink:

Yes - I had problems remembering three.........

As for dropping a Segway that is both cool and unusual.....

We should view exotic scalps as Bonus - like little bike caps.

Tandems! Double Bonus for bagging a tandem - I've seen one with a father / daughter (just being rude here there is a "slight" age difference and I fancy her - hello by the way if you post here) combination on the embankment a couple of times - they are however rapid......

GT

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg T wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've got campag shorts and jersey... am I supposed to feel dirty now? :cry:

You need feel no shame.....

Unless a chick on a Shopper drops you - then basically you've got to hand back your entire accumulated lad voucher stack and start again.

High risk high danger.

I might get me a little bike cap to really ratchet up the pressure on myself

I passed 12 on the way home including 2 flipfloppers (I couldn't tell what side they were running)... yey this morning I passed 8 I think.. all below me on the 'scale' tonight I'm off to play netball on the A3/A24 there's loads of fodder there plus a couple of challenges potentially as well

all while wearing a condor cap... come get it :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I passed 12 on the way home including 2 flipfloppers (I couldn't tell what side they were running)... yey

this morning I passed 8 I think.. all below me on the 'scale'

If you scalped 12 dudes higher up the chain than you then you are a hero......

If we are talking blue on blue (class on class) or even worse bagging old ladies on tricycles then we have to have a chat.....

We should get some embankment peleton "Great Game" little bike caps made up - a cheap and simple way to identify players - wear one of those and you'd cycle like a man possesed.

Virtuoso hasn't answered up yet.... Perhaps he's regretting his "I've not been dropped in six months" big talk........

The cumulative effect of playing the game day in day out needs to be considered. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold my own as the week goes on and I'm consistently rifting myself.

There may be tears on Friday.

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...you guys are so lucky...there is no way I could keep up with your scores...I see about a dozen cyclists, and apart from a couple that can give me a run for my money, I pass 'em all. Oh and there's one I slow down to chat with before I proceed on my way...so I think I might be out of the league...

...keep racing...I know you're out there giving it your all...me, I'm doing me bit out here in the sticks...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Only just found this thread as I've been off the boards for a few days! Funny this comes up as I was only talking to a work mate about this on Monday after chasing another roadie from Waterloo Bridge and up Kingsway after he timed the lights quite nicely at the top of the bridge!

I see no problem with a bit of friendly racing, I mean I overtake dozens of cyclist's each day, if one of them then choses to shoot past me then I'll usually give chase! I don't really mind having a brief sprint as I quite like the challenge - I just see it as an extra bit of exercise! At the end of the day it takes 2 to race so the other person has to be in the same mindset as you otherwise it's just you overtaking another commuter :D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...you guys are so lucky...there is no way I could keep up with your scores...I see about a dozen cyclists, and apart from a couple that can give me a run for my money, I pass 'em all. Oh and there's one I slow down to chat with before I proceed on my way...so I think I might be out of the league...

...keep racing...I know you're out there giving it your all...me, I'm doing me bit out here in the sticks...

Yeah me too. Being top predator is no fun. Unless I see a roadie shaved (like a ladie) I've no chance of scoring any points.
  • Greg T
    will3 wrote:
    Yeah me too. Being top predator is no fun. Unless I see a roadie shaved (like a ladie) I've no chance of scoring any points.

As I see it whilst the opportunity to score decreases and the effort involved increases (looking like you aren't trying to drop someone at 100RPM and 22 MPH isn't easy) as you go higher up the food chain the "push" factor to keep upstart hybrids / slicked up MTBs in their place is in itself a significant effort.

Yes I want to bag a grown man who thinks shaving his legs is OK but at the same time I want to hold off media executives with reeboks where they belong i.e. behind me.

Keeping a clean sheet's almost as important as scoring - defence wins games.

Addendum...

I checked my tyre pressures this morning - just making sure that I wasn't losing precious wattage needlessly...... Can't remember the last time I did that mid week.

• Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I passed 12 on the way home including 2 flipfloppers (I couldn't tell what side they were running)... yey

this morning I passed 8 I think.. all below me on the 'scale'

If you scalped 12 dudes higher up the chain than you then you are a hero......

If we are talking blue on blue (class on class) or even worse bagging old ladies on tricycles then we have to have a chat.....

We should get some embankment peleton "Great Game" little bike caps made up - a cheap and simple way to identify players - wear one of those and you'd cycle like a man possesed.

Virtuoso hasn't answered up yet.... Perhaps he's regretting his "I've not been dropped in six months" big talk........

The cumulative effect of playing the game day in day out needs to be considered. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold my own as the week goes on and I'm consistently rifting myself.

There may be tears on Friday.

oh shit no I stepped up 3 times and passed one equal... but managed a freewheel as I went past :lol:

I was mangling this with the other game...my bad

I always get knackered around thursday night after circuits class and friday I coast... not any more.

People get your 'rank' in your sigs so we can see what you're claiming
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    This chain is too depressing. For the first time in months I rode to work on my road bike as opposed to slicked up MTB. Got dropped by (guess what) a slicked up MTB. A week ago I wouldn't have cared. Now it's ruined my day.
  • Clever Pun
    I'm going to buy a pasha and get loads of points passing numpties... have that :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • snooks
    Clever Pun wrote:
    People get your 'rank' in your sigs so we can see what you're claiming

Food Chain Number's Added :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    rhext wrote:
    This chain is too depressing. For the first time in months I rode to work on my road bike as opposed to slicked up MTB. Got dropped by (guess what) a slicked up MTB. A week ago I wouldn't have cared. Now it's ruined my day.

That's got to hurt bad.

Kudos for stepping up a class and risking the slicked up MTB raiders - Snooks are you listening....

Unlucky for getting scalped by some guy wearing baggy shorts with his boxers showing - I bet you don't get dropped tonight - in fact you should answer up tomorrow and book the win of a clean sheet....

I've just had my four o'clock slice of malt loaf by the way - attention to detail.

• snooks
    Greg T wrote:
    Kudos for stepping up a class and risking the slicked up MTB raiders - Snooks are you listening....

Tummmmm teeeee tummm...sorry? someone say something? :wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Greg T wrote:
    I've just had my four o'clock slice of malt loaf by the way - attention to detail.

Ahem taking it seriously?
    It;s malt loaf one day, leg shaving (like a laydee) the next...............
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I completely forgot about slicked up MTB's! Being a hairy roadie I find it quite annoying when I get one of those ahead of me! Doesn't happen to often tho :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    will3 wrote:
    Ahem taking it seriously?
    It;s malt loaf one day, leg shaving (like a laydee) the next...............

It's either this or I go catatonic by the end of the Embankment and have to crawl into that petrol station that's round the corner for a can of coke and a Mars bar....... nothing tastes better...the knowing looks you get from the roadies as you are slumped by the wall sucking down your can is hard to take however.

Leg shaving (like Ladies) is a decison for a gentlemen to make in reflection with his conscience - and perhaps his Thai boyfriend.

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg T wrote:

You've mis-spelled peloton in your sig...

... sorry, feeling I'm missing out. This commuter is out of commission until I can replace my knackered 1980's cinelli bars and get my front wheel re-trued. Dagnammit
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    JonGinge wrote:

Yeah! Well you stacked your bike this morning Wang Eye!

Listen - there's a predator on the block.....

cntl has just got himself some serious fixie metal but is tooting around on his wife's (who I presume is Miss Marple) shopper.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14870786#14870786

Be careful if he gets you tonight you may not have the heart to eat again and pine away for your lost cojones.

• Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

:lol: harsh
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

:lol: harsh

But fair
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    Don't worry about Jon - he's concussed - he won't remember any of this and by tomorrow his brain will have swelled up so much he won't be able to read it anyway.....

Still if he gets one of those trikes that you pedal with your hands I'd love to be the first guy to scalp him.