Totem Cracking Noise.... Help

CK
CK Posts: 88
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently had my totems serviced by tf tuned (april) and they worked ok for a couple of months but the floodgate stopped working. When i removed it i saw that the oil level was too low for it to work. It had leaked into the lower leg no external leak. I spoke to tf tuned who advised that one of the fittings inside may be loose so i stripped them down ensured that everything was tight and put it back together.

The floodgate now works along with the rebound damping and all seems fine except.... under heavy compression ie. sharp braking there is a cracking/ breaking noise noise as if plastic is being bent and shattering. I have not replaced any parts and to be honest all i have really done is replace the lower leg lube and the mission control suspension oil to as near as i can tell the correct volumes (had to use measuring jug for it 140 ml) the only difference is i used 5/10wt oil rather than 5wt oil.

Help....

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    hmm, give tf tuned a bell and/or send it back to them.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why have you upped the oil weight? put a straight 5wt oil in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CK
    i couldnt get 5wt from my lbs but i didnt think a little higher weight would cause problems only change the damping effect slightly.
  • CK
    I phoned tf tuned today and the guys are baffled. I stripped the fork again today and all the internals are intact with no signs of stress so if anyone else has any bright ideas im all ears. I have also checked the headset and break caliper.

Im stuck.....
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    its not the damper....

get the dealer you bought the fork from to send the fork back to Fisher outdoor leisure as your CSU is making the noise

its happened to both my Totems, my buddy's Totem, my 08 Lyric and my buddy's 08 Lyric

it sounds like a crackling / creaking noise if you roll along the road and pull the brake hard...

Fisher will warranty your fork, and replace the CSU (crown steerer unit) - which means the steerer tube, crown and upper legs (stanchions)

at moment , I am actually waiting for my Lyric 2-steps to come back from Fishers ;)
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rob cole
    is this both steerer sizes? or just one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CK
    rob cole wrote:
    its not the damper....

get the dealer you bought the fork from to send the fork back to Fisher outdoor leisure as your CSU is making the noise

its happened to both my Totems, my buddy's Totem, my 08 Lyric and my buddy's 08 Lyric

it sounds like a crackling / creaking noise if you roll along the road and pull the brake hard...

Fisher will warranty your fork, and replace the CSU (crown steerer unit) - which means the steerer tube, crown and upper legs (stanchions)

at moment , I am actually waiting for my Lyric 2-steps to come back from Fishers ;)

I have a bit of of a problem there. I bought the bike and the fork second hand and the guy i bought it off was moving to america. Ive had them 6 months and this is the first time i have noticed it. Do you think that Fisher outdoor liesure will warranty the fork without going through the dealer? If its not replaced will it break? or is there anything i can do to fix this?

You have at least stopped me sending it back to TF tuned and wasting another £80 on a service.

thanks
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    my mate's 5050xx's rusted inside, so the other day he sent them back to crank bros, who said they were very sorry for the seals failing and sent him a free pair of '08 5050xx's.

The thing is, he bought the pedals 4/5 years ago second hand for £6 and has no warranty info at all.

My point is, even if you think there's no chance of them helping out, drop RockShox an email anyway :)
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    ^^ always worth a try. also the fact that you've sent them to TFT shows you're not incompetant and try to look after your equipment.
  • rob cole
    rob cole
    is this both steerer sizes? or just one.

have seen it on both 1.125" and 1.5" (of course less 1.5" as the fork size is rarer compared to 1.125")

seen this on Fox (36), Rockshox (Totem and Lyric) and Marzocchi (66)

most recently a Marzocchi 66 in 1.5"

strictly speaking there is no warranty on goods purchased second hand....depends on the relationship with your local shop...a new CSU is £280 if outside of warranty

its not something you want to leave as what has happened is that the steerer tube is starting to make the steerer bore in the crown enlarged, and the steerer is starting to move in the enlarged bore, which could eventually lead to crown failure which on a freeride bike is something you really don't want to experience

Fisher will not deal with the public. only one of their dealers can raise a returns number and send it back on your behalf

speak to your local dealer....
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • CK
    Thanks for all the info guys i'll give it a go both through rockshox and fisher liesure.

Just to clarify the tube size is 1.5" and im not the most aggressive rider in the world although i do have my odd scarey moment and a few nose heavy landings.
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    but how aggressive was the forks previous owner?
  • CK
    Good question, but the bike and fork were in good condition and running smooth when i got them. It must be the 20 ft hucks i did that broke the fork.... I wish!!!

I have just sent the forks away through my LBS so hopefully the work will get done under warranty.

Thanks again guys for some great help.
  • rob cole
    Fishers are good with Rockshox warranty work, its taking about 2 weeks at moment because they do both servicing and warranty work, but they will sort you out ;)

one of the good things about buying Rockshox is having a good backup service if you ever need to claim a repair on warranty (2 years from purchase date)