MTB'er needing Roadie advice

Ghengis
Ghengis Posts: 90
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
I need help!!!! I have a 31 mile commute and have done this a few times on my Rockhopper with Specialized Nimbus Armadillo road tyres on. Currently taking about 1 hour 50 mins all on road.

I need to do it quicker to make this a viable option. I work shifts and start at 7am on alternate weeks. My thinking is to buy a road bike (which I haven't had for 20+ years).

A potential cycle to work scheme could liberate up to £1000 for some shiney new thing.

What do I go for?? I like the idea of a cyclo cross so I could venture on to some light off road but that isn't the priority.

Any thoughts on the Specialized Tri Cross Sport - £699?

How much time could I expect to save??
Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
2009 Giant Defy 2.5

Comments

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    that's a long commute, moped maybe?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    If speed is the priority I `d go for a proper road bike.Even my extremely dated steel road bike is at approx 5mph faster for the same effort than my mtb.
    The Crosser wouldn`t be much slower,but you`d need to swap to slicks to get the speed benefit.
    I have actually ridden my road bike,on very light off road stuff.Make sure you have good well built wheels!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I'm about 4 mph quicker on a 10.4mile commute using my road bike over the mtb. It is quite a hilly route. I reckon it would be a fair bit quicker on a flatter route.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    I just bought a second-hand Genesis Day 02 hybrid. So much faster than my MTB even when I lock-out suspension and put slicks on it. But very similar ride position to MTB and many common parts which might help if you do at-home servicing.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I've got both, road bike for the road, mtb for off-road!

Wouldn't change this either enjoy getting out on the road bike when I don't feel like driving to the trails.

I got a Giant SCR 1.5 and can recommend it. Specalize/Trek/Boardman/Cannondale all have offerings that I looked at too, just liked the look & feel of the Giant.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    The Focus Cayo is always recommended for £1000 road bikes, it's only available on Wiggle.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I can highly recommend the Specialized Allez, i bought one the other week for road riding as it suddenly became a very attractive prospect especially where I line in deepest Cheshire :D

And it's only £500 which on a biek to work woudl cost you next to bugger all.

Miles faster than a full susser on the road and great for training too
  • Ghengis
    Thanks for all the advice.

Moped out of the question though as I just sold my motorbike so getting a moped kind of defeats the object - much easier though!!! Focus Cayo and Spesh allez both look good. If work get the ride 2 work thing off the ground I might be restricted to a particular dealer so anymore options would be appreciated.

LBS has Giant stock so might have a peep at those.

What about comfort? 31 miles each way with an 8 hour shift between is tough. Is there a relaxed 'racer' option? Something not so difficult to squash belly on! :lol:
    My route has around 1000ft of climbing over the 31 miles so what gearing should I be looking at, bearing in mind there is only 1 hill I need to drop off the big chainring

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    The Genesis I have has racer wheels (700 x 25) but MTB style carbon-fibre handlebars. I think it's very relaxed riding position rather than bent over traditional racing-bike style.

Gearsets are more road-biased but there's still a granny ring for big hills. Saddle is comfy.

Better be comfy as I'm doing Cork to Galway in September - 190 miles in 2 days!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    31 mile each way hat off to ya thats some commute i hope the pay packet reflects that.

i to opted for a road bike after commuting on my hadtail i got a scott speedster s60 fb fb being flatbar i didnt fancy drops so i got the flat bar version this year they offer 2 modles with various spec,

i knocked 2min30 sec off my time just converting to the scott mine is a 6 mile commute 12 mile in total it takes me around 20 -23 mins to get to work and anything from 1731 to 20min to get home 1731 being my best time to date..

if your commute is all on road then i would proably go for a road bike and maybe drop bars as the distance your doing the drops will offer you more hand positions for comfort.
  • Ghengis
    Pay packet not that attractive. :(

Only currently doing this commute a few times a year, mostly when training for a long distance haul like the C2C,W2W or CNC which I did this year. I'd just like to be able to do it more often and the only way that is possible is if I can shave off enough time to allow me to not have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning (on early shift) and when I work late shift not to get in in the early hours (1 am+ as I finish at 11pm). New baby son takes up a lot of time!!! :shock:

I suppose I could try harder on my Rockhopper but frankly it's savage amusement at best!

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Ghengis
    Day 02 - hmmmm...

Hadn't really thought of a flat bar road bike. This will be more difficult than I thought. :?

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    :idea: Save yourself some cash, buy a map, draw a straight line and go cross country, you'll enjoy it more :lol::lol::lol::wink:
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • Ghengis
    This route is the straight one. Only off road alternative would add at least an hour. If i wasn't going to work that would be the one for me.

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    was a joke :lol:
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Focus Cayo Carbon at £1000, planet x sl aluminium at about £700 or Trek 1000 at under £500.

Personally I'd look at focus through www.wiggle.co.uk or planet x.

I'd avoid cross country unless you actually intend to do some. Stick to light weight road bikes, they are more fun (on road).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    A 2007 Allez Triple would suit, not too an agressive position.

I'd change the tyres to some more p*nc*re resistant ones.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I'd also consider what extras you want on a commute bike. Doing that distance i wouldn't want a backpack on, so the ability to attach panniers would be a must, would be much more comfortable over 30 miles to have the weight on the bike not your back.

Maybe not so relevant if your not commuting everyday ( iguess you'll pick and choose your days) but i'd also want full mudgaurds. A sudden downpour while your at work means a very wet ride home.

The SCR would be perfect for you if it fits well. They're relaxed geometry, fast and can have racks and guards attached. The SCR frame is also available as a flat bar road bike which is the FCR i think. If your in traffic for most of the time i'd go flat bar, on open roads i'd go with drops
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    How much time were you looking to shave off, unless you're race fit I can't see you getting under 1.5 hours on a 31m route?

But yeah there's loads of decent road bikes round £1k, my shortlist was a Giant SCR and Specialized Roubaix Elite, bought the Spec one in the end as it was on offer + came with some free accessories.
  • Ghengis
    It would be nice to get down to 1.5 hrs. I'll never be race fit but if I can get an extra bit of time in my bed on a morning then it's worth it. I often travel in with a lass who races in Triathlon for team GB and she has a full carbon tri bike I'd just like to be able to keep up with her :D . I have done 8 miles by the time I meet up with her so it's always going to be a challenge.

As for carrying a back pack, I don't mind using my camelback as I'm used to using it all day when out in the hills on the MTB. Not much traffic to negotiate for the most part as I travel off peak times, on a mostly rural route. Flat bars sound good though - not so far to bend over :shock:

2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    But if you get drop bars you can always ride using the the flat part and use the rest if required, I find it helps to vary the position and getting tucked on the downhills can be very useful if you're tired
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike