Curing arm pump?

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
I'm going to head to scotland in september for a solid 6 hours of riding the fort william dh track (endurance dh race). Arm pump i think is going to kill me off so is there anything i can do to help reduce it? it'll never go i know but how can i make life easier for myself?
would something like a powerball do anything? learn to ride with a looser grip on the bars?

Comments

• colsa
    colsa Posts: 50
    pump x , lots of my mates are m/x riders, they swear by it

http://www.pump-x.co.uk/

obviously i wouldnt want to take it before every ride, as it would turn out expensive, but for serious rides or competitions than its worth looking at
  • dirtbiker100
    sounds interesting, thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    After being off the bike for years, I found that arm pump was an issue as well. I got over it by using a powerball.
    Now it's not a problem.
  • dirtbiker100
    so getting a powerball would help? it works the whole forearm then? might get one then
  • Anonymous
    yep, the whole wrist and hand and fingers, are controlled by muscles in the forearm area, so a powerball helps all of them.
    It's such an addictive gadget that it's worth getting one anyway!
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Build up the muscles in your forearm with e.g. a powerball. That supplement has nothing in it of any great interest...
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • dirtbiker100
    Dr_Death wrote:
    Build up the muscles in your forearm with e.g. a powerball. That supplement has nothing in it of any great interest...
    powerball way it is then. thanks
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Good setup/technique can go a long way to minimising arm pump.

Set your brakes up for single finger braking (ie move them in-board - you shoul be using your first finger right on the hook of the lever - this gives you most leverage, and aslo gives you 3 fingers wrapped round the bar for hanging on with.

Levers should be angled to follow the line of your arm. (bearing in mind if you're on a DH rig, you want this to match your attack position, not seated)

Set the bite point fairly far in - puts less stress on your forearm muscles.

Try and keep your weight centred on the bike - so less weight on your arms, more on your legs. Obviously this isn't a fixed thing, as you'll be coming forward to pin a corner, and the real steep stuff will be all arms/shoulders anyway.

I can't recall the last time I had armpump, despite doing 18 run days in Whistler Bikepark (6 full Garbanzos :lol: ). I think the biggest difference was moving to the single finger braking.

Riding hard regualrly will also help lots.

Oh, and if all else fails w@nk more. (don't forget to use both hands!) :wink:
  • dirtbiker100
    ooh thanks for all that. i'm half way between 1 and two finger at the moment so i'll adjust my levers a touch more. Got moto V2 brakes so can quite happily 1 finger brake. also the bite point is easily adjustable so will play with that too.
    Thanks

ideal advice at the end there too :lol:
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Before reading this I didnt know what arm pump is. :oops:

But I do have a powerball, and they are great, problem I have is I want to beat my highest rpm!

It has also helped reduce my RSI and helped me strengthen my weak wrist; that I totally screwed over using my friends bike with gripshift.
  • Anonymous
    as previously mentioned, set your brake levers up correctly, I found that raising mine slightly reduced the pump incredibly.
  • tenbob
    tenbob Posts: 1
    There a new cream just come out call Motomint which helps arm pump, :lol: I got it at Triple-d motosport Tel 01539 732666 for £20 and it should last all season!
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    Powerballs are pretty good, too. Look wierd. Takes a while to get used to it. But, works wonders on your grip and forearms.
    I'd personally recommend one with a tacho, as it's useful to see what speed/rpm you can get up to, and then try to beat it.

tip: if buying from play.com (as per my link), then think about registering at Quidco.com, then doing a click-through to Play.com. then you'll earn 4% cashback on your purchase.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!