Silly commuting racing

Comments

• garryac
    garryac Posts: 32
    Greg T wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Then at least you know that either you've been dropped by someone much higher on the chain, OR you've been dropped by someone just starting their route home. There's no way you'd be dropped by someone lower down than you...is there? :wink:

Man - you ALWAYS know when you've let yourself down......

I'm of the opinion that all the guys that whip past me on the embankment live on the King's Road and are emptying their tanks.

I also think that all the guys I drop on the embankment live on King's Road and are emptying their tanks - I'm just faster.

Exactly I live smug in the knowledge that if anyone whips by me in London I've alreadt ridden about 30 miles
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    snooks wrote:
    easy points to be gained on the flat out parts. Cool
    I'm shocked at your attitude! and admitting to it too!

I wonder if THE LIST would be re-jigged in a hilly place! I need to use a gear that I top out on the flat at 22ish mph although if I work like a hamster in a cage on E*, I can get 32 with a slight downhill..
    or 39.1 on 1 in 4 country lanes!

*but of course you don't want to be seen to be working hard

Those guys with big gears pay for it though when setting off from lights (maybe they are the RLJers).. no points lost or gained as it's unfair as mentioned, but everyone will be past them and gone, making it difficult for them to gain points from the peloton without a long flatout run up!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Those guys with big gears pay for it though when setting off from lights ............ everyone will be past them and gone, making it difficult for them to gain points from the peloton without a long flatout run up!

One of the side shows is the drag away from the lights. Now you really don't want to embaress yourself by obviously working too hard but at the same time if the blokes ahead get a wiggle on you get left for dead with 50 M to make up and a burd on a shopper wobbling around in front of you.

It's a very fine line to judge.

This morning I got overtaken by a pair of hairy Roadies (5) - no penalties class on class.(but I still lost my scalp) At the next set of lights lead roadie spins off but it's obvious that number two was drafting him and is now getting dropped....

Our man puts in a big effort running into the Blackfriars underpass gets to within a bike length of lead roadie then blows up! We (as I'm drafting him and spinning easy) start to go backwards

I take the only honourable option available, go up a gear pull out -stand up and drop him large to catch up on the lead without him getting a chance to draft me. I take my scalp back off him as I go by and have his away.

That's the game fellas - big boy's rules.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    snooks wrote:
    easy points to be gained on the flat out parts. Cool
    I'm shocked at your attitude! and admitting to it too!

Just being honest :wink: as an 8 there aren't many below me in the food chain who'll drop me in a fair pass. Where as there are a few SS/fixed, roadies, hybrids, knackered tourers, all give me points...bring em on!!! :D

hehe
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • @Greg T: But you stood up! Surely that counts as being seen to try and so disqualifies the points on that occasion!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    @Greg T: But you stood up! Surely that counts as being seen to try and so disqualifies the points on that occasion!

absoultey. The whole ethos of this is that you are not, repeat not, racing. This just happens to be the speed you always go, it's just that ' I am considerably faster than youw'.

However it does bring up another imporant point. If you overtake you MUST make it stick!
  • 2wheelzgood
    gimme that list, I need to make sure my girlfrind doenst see thas topic or if she does, dont get no points for passing me!

She rides :70s road so I think starting at smooth legs roadie (not convinced girls should class as this but I have to be nice to her!) 4, with baggies +1, pannier rack +1 and gubbins bungeed on +another another for uncoordination and utilitarian style, HANDLEBAR BAG, flat pedals +1 and only 8 working gears (top and bottom on sprocket are useless) +2
    =9
    Come on rule maker what points is she on

me ss 3 although I claim +1 as it's a converted hybrid, aero -1, baggies +1,
    =4..wow I need to watch it!

Greg, you're right though roadies with gears ough tto be top, well above SS at any rate.
    not sure I get why SS fixed is higher than freewheelers... is it an image thang? I'm told they find it harder to go fast.

for future quick ref
    1. Scooters
    2. Single speed fixed hub
    3. Single Speed
    4. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls
    5. Roadies with hairy legs - like men
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. "Fast Hybrids"
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    13. Shoppers wicker baskets
    14. Electric bikes
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Greg T
    will3 wrote:
    @Greg T: But you stood up! Surely that counts as being seen to try and so disqualifies the points on that occasion!

absoultey. The whole ethos of this is that you are not, repeat not, racing. This just happens to be the speed you always go, it's just that ' I am considerably faster than youw'.

I hear your words Brothers - Standing up is a big no no - however his arse was hanging out and the awesome I was laying down as I mashed past had a quality all of it's own.

Let's call it a professional foul.

If you are going to break the "show no effort" rule you do have to pull it off otherwise you are road kill. Imagine standing up pullling out getting level and then getting dropped.....

Jaysus even the dog wouldn't take roast chicken skin off you.

• snooks
    edited July 2008
    OK...with hometime rapidly approaching...

We have some decorators in the office, and they have left some thick masking tape lying around...do I nick a bit and write 8 it and stick it to my backpack????

Or do I just draw a picture of a hare and let Greyhound GregT try to catch me up from my head start part way on his commute home??? :D

Hare's runnin'!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • 2wheelzgood
    will3 wrote:

However it does bring up another imporant point. If you overtake you MUST make it stick!

True I was just thinking.. if you don't like to sweat and set off from lights slow, you can claim points by hauling them in in mid-flow and when you ease up for next lights, it doesn't count if they catch up with you.. It's dodgey really as I see the possibility of claiming points for the same victims on successive straights between traffic lights..
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Greg T
    She rides :70s road so I think starting at smooth legs roadie (not convinced girls should class as this but I have to be nice to her!) 4, with baggies +1, pannier rack +1 and gubbins bungeed on +another another for uncoordination and utilitarian style, HANDLEBAR BAG, flat pedals +1 and only 8 working gears (top and bottom on sprocket are useless) +2
    =9

Dude - as far as I can see it if you ever let her go infront of you in company you'll suffer a terminal respectal prolapse and may not recover. I'd say she's a 10 and her starting spot was hairy roadie (but she's a burd and therefore the shaving don't count)

• snooks
    It's dodgey really as I see the possibility of claiming points for the same victims on successive straights between traffic lights..

Only if they are higher up the food chain :cool: ...like the girly yesterday (shopper with wicker basked, (shave legs and short baggy shorts) 13 at my reckoning) who'd hop onto the pavement at the lights and go to the front, only to be passed by the swathe behind her
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    claiming points for the same victims on successive straights between traffic lights..

That's cold.

I do it all the time - success is a numbers game.......

I'm getting a marker out and will mark up my day glo hump!

• 2wheelzgood
    Greg T wrote:
    =9

Dude - as far as I can see it if you ever let her go infront of you in company you'll suffer a terminal respectal prolapse and may not recover. I'd say she's a 10 and her starting spot was hairy roadie (but she's a burd and therefore the shaving don't count)

Oh dear.. I'm screwed on hills.. up and esp down.

In company you say.. best make those weekend rides on very remote lanes! sweet!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    What about roadie tarts in full rapha? Must run close to the yellow jersey in terms of the satisfaction of burning them off...

I've got campag shorts and jersey... am I supposed to feel dirty now? :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've got campag shorts and jersey... am I supposed to feel dirty now? :cry:

You need feel no shame.....

Unless a chick on a Shopper drops you - then basically you've got to hand back your entire accumulated lad voucher stack and start again.

High risk high danger.

I might get me a little bike cap to really ratchet up the pressure on myself

• 2wheelzgood
    Greg T wrote:

I'd watch it, snooks will be after those points!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• snooks
    Greg T wrote:

I'd watch it, snooks will be after those points!

Well if you're passed by a sweaty bloke in black, wheezing like an short of breath rhino, while counting with his fingers...You've been dropped by me, shame on you all

And no, I'm not trying, it's just the way I look while I'm cycling :roll:

See you out there :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    What about roadie tarts in full rapha? Must run close to the yellow jersey in terms of the satisfaction of burning them off...
    Greg T wrote:

2 birds with 1 stone: http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=96
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    OK I just did +1 for everyone with a FCN (Food Chain Number) higher than me who I dropped, and -1 everytime I was dropped by someone with a lower FCN than me.

Only on one set of lights get away did I loose count, but that was because I was looking to see whether it was an old tourer with a basket or a shopper...both of which looked similar..one I get a point for the other I don't.

I also excluded the 50 or so meters coming up to red lights/traffic when I'm slowing down, and I also don't count anyone I drop at that point..I also didn't count anyone I overtook though no fault of their own, a car turning left and stopping for example...just a straight pass only.

I got dropped once by a mtb with nobblies (but he must have been nearly home and using up his tank :wink: ) but it was on the off from the lights (and further on than the 10 metres past the other side of the Junction, which is where I start the count from) and he'd just pushed past a load of other cyclists waiting patiently....I did pass him three times in total after he RLJ twice.

So excuses over with, my first off total was 17 (with a late tourer at the end of my road :D )

An average of 1.3 a mile...not a bad target for next time
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I rarely see anyone on my daily commute yet I still race everyday, mostly myself and on the odd chance when there has been someone else within sight i've increased my speed to the point of almost being sick just to catch up and in most cases pass, I think I might have a problem ...

But what goes around always comes around, last week whilst buzzing along on my own I heard the click clicking of gear changes behind me only to find a pretty happy looking chap on a MTB, turns out that was one of my fastest days ever.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:
    So excuses over with, my first off total was 17 (with a late tourer at the end of my road :D )

17!

By Christ man!

I bagged two shaved (like a lady) roadies and a single speed and thought that I'd be feted by the players.

Instead you weigh in with a massive 17.

You are a dangerous player at the top of your bracket bagging the populous hybird / hairy roadie bracket.

Me - I'm swimming with the sharks and having to stay away from the like of you....

Seriously - the game is the best training aid ever - I was still sweating 30 mins after I got home and showered last night....

Now whoever you were on lower Thames St this morning on the hybrid whipping past me on the run intothe lights and then immediately taking refuge the pavement fooled no-one. I'll see you tonight...

I don't know if I can keep this up for a week.......

• jonginge
    No heroics today ;) In fact, I didn't complete my commute. Got left-hooked going through fulham and have a face full of road rash*. Many thanks to the guys who stopped and sorted me out a bit, much appreciated.

* bike is mainly ok.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • virtuoso
    virtuoso Posts: 45
    i find that racing is the only thing that keeps me sane, as commuting the same route every day is fairly mind-numbing I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm that competitive that I've never been overtaken in 6 months since I started my 23 mile commute, and never been unable to overtake anyone..
  • jonginge
    virtuoso wrote:
    i find that racing is the only thing that keeps me sane, as commuting the same route every day is fairly mind-numbing I'm sure you'll agree...
    Oh, I don't know. There is occasionally a bit of unwanted excitement :shock:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    so on a road bike with hairy legs = 5

baggy shorts + 1
    Speedo -1
    large backpack to carry everything i require (is this a +1 or not as it isnt a rack?) +1?
    flat pedals (this has to be a +1) +1

so im a 7 overall.

Got passed by a 4 yesterday but hadhim back just before turning into a different route so its all good :lol:

How about the quility of bike? Im on a full alu £300 road machine with a sora groupset, does that give me a -1 vs a full carbon 20 speed racer or does the 20 speed racer get a boost?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • snooks
    Greg T wrote:
    snooks wrote:

17!

By Christ man!

I bagged two shaved (like a lady) roadies and a single speed and thought that I'd be feted by the players.

Instead you weigh in with a massive 17.

You are a dangerous player at the top of your bracket bagging the populous hybird / hairy roadie bracket.

Most of those were along the embankment, when I'm just "peaking" (warmed up and ready for the battle against the wind) by the time I get onto the Kings road the chances of overtaking are slim. Once onto the A205 I can still drop some more....A few showed resistance, by overtaking and then turning off...then probably slowing down to get their breath back!!! :wink:

I do have larger than usual chainrings on the front, but it's still got 26" slicks and 14 years old (with rust)...I'm also carrying a few stone extra and want rid of it! And I''m not taking about my laptop and clothes :)

Is it wrong to identify targets at lights?? :twisted:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Sea_Green_Incorruptible
    edited July 2008
    One further consideration is how to locate your victims/pursuers.

It's no good craning your neck round behind you to check their position - such a blatant indication that you care is sure to disqualify you. Instead, I suggest you have three legal options:

1) Learn to read the shadows. It's ok to glance down at your bottom bracket as if checking the position of your front mech. If the sun's out and somebody's close behind you, their shadow will betray them.

2) Wait for a 'pinch point' then glance nonchalantly over your shoulder as if checking for cars. Of course in reality you're checking out the competition.

3) Listen like a bat. This is where ipod wearing can be a real disadvantage/advantage depending on whether you are the hunter or the prey.

Finally, experienced secret racers may have a fourth option: spidey senses. Maybe its to do with chemicals or something but when you've been in this game for a while you can sense somebody coming up behind you like a shark scenting blood in the water 20 miles away. These senses can be the difference between victory and humiliation and should be cultivated at every opportunity.

If these measures are applied with accuity, then they also give you the option of a 'bail out' to prevent you puking up your lungs. Some may call it gamesmanship (or even cheating), but f you clearly have 'no awareness' of the guy behind you, then surely there's nothing wrong with pulling over to the side of the road to 'change the song on your ipod' or 'fix with that dodgy gear change' is there?
  • 2wheelzgood
    snooks wrote:
    And I''m not taking about my laptop and clothes :)

I reckon it's fair game to prey at lights, but you wanna watch out for the late comers on ss or fixies with clipless.. we don't like stopping and will slow to a 1mph or trackstand and be off and passed you before you know it!

Also having 1 gear makes sneaking up more stealthy! muahaha

as for not wearing any clothes.. I'm happier for your confidence although reducing wind resistance in that way earns you -1!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• snooks
    snooks wrote:
    And I''m not taking about my laptop and clothes :)

I reckon it's fair game to prey at lights, but you wanna watch out for the late comers on ss or fixies with clipless.. we don't like stopping and will slow to a 1mph or trackstand and be off and passed you before you know it!

Also having 1 gear makes sneaking up more stealthy! muahaha

as for not wearing any clothes.. I'm happier for your confidence although reducing wind resistance in that way earns you -1!

I was taking about carrying my work clothes and laptop in my rucksack, not cycling in the buff...No one would like to see that!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs