panniers, aerobars andsinglespeeds

2wheelzgood
2wheelzgood Posts: 373
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Hiya... I ride a converted Dawes hybrid which is now a commuter or day long lightweight fun machine.. Just last week fitted an aerobar.. only so fast a man can go in one gear sat upright! something like this:DSCN2804.jpg

Anyway, been on a few rides with my girlfriend who has a 70's racer, more like a tourer these days... it's heavy and has a rack and handlebar bag.. she ends up carrying the repair kit, lunch etc and I wanted to change that.

I have a camelback-a-like but really, rucksacks are not that fun.

So I was looking at pannier racks to bungee stuff on. Ebay has plenty of cheap bags but racks ermm there are a fair few with the stays but the whole point of my bike is to reduce the hybrid to a sleek singlespeed.. tough enough at the moment without adding more weight.. and it's look cluttered.

I've also seen the racks that just clip onto the seatpost.. are they sturdy? heavy? In the long run I may want to attach panniers forra weekend trip or something too..

any one done anything like this or have tips?
ta.
FCN4: Langster Pro
FCN8 Dawes Audax
FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...nice looking bike...it really has to be a full rack for panniers...a beam rack works well with a top bag, but not so well with panniers...that's my experience anyway...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • 2wheelzgood
    thanks for that tip.
    The beam ones indeed look like they'd support whatever I could fit in my saddlepouch thing anyway. I search some details and max weight they state is about 9kilos.. not good with 2 panneirs loaded with a mini tent and gubbins.

I've found my pump clip and saddle pouch and resentfully fitted them on.. minimalist lines gone! :(
    Better this way and a hydration rucksack then panniers... for now.

btw bike looks more Frankenstein now as it has an aero bar on with flip pup armrests!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• jethro924
    jethro924 Posts: 49
    Clean lines, with those mudguards?!? Gets some SKS full length jobbies (in black and you'll not see them, or race blades at the least)

Ditch the aero bar b*****ks for a set of drop bars.

Lose the back brake if is fixed (is that a White Industries rear hub I see?)
  • 2wheelzgood
    ye ok thanks for the input

edit. having seen the blades and the other ones, I take what you're saying.. not cheap mind and that was (initially the point of converting this.. tho it's cost a fair bit in the end).

I like the aero bar though and having only ridden one bike with drops ( my girl's bole) I cannot say much, but the aeros are more comfy. Don't ask about how long it takes me to find the brakes though!!!

Rear hub is a budget thing replacement I think, it's a converted 28 speed with a bmx cog and a spacer kit.. not fixed but I'd love to try one!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax