Which bike....again!!

lurpak
lurpak Posts: 78
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Oh well yet another which bike quesiton....

I started commuting into work by bike and really want to make life a whole lot easier. The commute is 14 miles a day on road but at present am using my hardrock pro which despite being a great bike isn't made for doing road commutes efficiently. Having been doing the commute for little while now thought it was about time to get a more efficient bike. I'm not looking to spend a great so only really have a budget of upto £300 however the closer i can get it to 200 the better, Any ideas? LBS have mentioned Land Rover bikes but am little reserved.

Comments

• meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    Edinburgh Bike Co-op Revolution Courier. See their website and the review on this site. £200 for the 07 model, I think. Decent alu frame, ok wheels, good gearing for the road, and a hell of a good price. Another £100 will get the latest disc version. 26 or 700c wheels.
  • lurpak
    I had looked at the courier but concerned by lack of gears. Route i have goe has a number of inclines. I have also looked at Giant FCR3, Trek 7.3FX and Fisher Wingra. Any other ideas? Also is there anywhere i can look for a 2nd hand option?
  • jethro924
    jethro924 Posts: 49
    £200 should get you a reasonable secondhand Dawes Galaxy or similar (ebay, LBS, club member's sheds etc).
    Leaves £100 for panniers and replacement parts fund.
    Guarantee that you will not regret something that takes full mudguards and a rack.
    Don't worry about weight for a commuter, the heavier it is the more free training you are getting!
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    lurpak wrote:
    I had looked at the courier but concerned by lack of gears. Route i have goe has a number of inclines.

If you like the bike otherwise you could be cheeky and ask them to install a front derailer; it shouldn't add much to the cost. Otherwise, flick through the reviews here.

Re second hand bikes, try your local bike store and see if they have bikes they took in p/x. Or look at ebay, although a bike would have to be a hell of a good deal for me to bid except on a local bike where I'd pay on collection, giving me a chance to vet for porkies.
  • lurpak
    Well i have done some shopping around today and come up with short list of three...

Trek 7.2FX
    Gary Fisher Wingra
    Pinnacle Borealis 1.0

Has anyone got any views on these bikes?? Have ridden the Trek and Pinnacle and like both enough to buy them. The trek seems a better deal as shop will throw in a free kryptonite lock and change pedals and seat post as part of deal.
  • pswinfield
    pswinfield Posts: 16
    I have a Revolution Courier Nexus. I have been commuting for about 3 months on it. Great bike. I would say that the tires are a little slippy in the wet. Whatever you buy I can wholeheartedly recommend Edinbourgh Bike Company, really good bike shop.
  • HF2300
    HF2300 Posts: 3
    lurpak wrote:
    Well i have done some shopping around today and come up with short list of three...

Trek 7.2FX
    ... The trek seems a better deal ...

If not too late, can I suggest the 7.3FX? For not very much more money you get the higher end frame & some better components.
  • head wind
    head wind Posts: 5
    Decathlon are worth a look, I have as “sports flat bar” I use to commute it has done a year no problem, not sure if they still do this exact bike but they have a decent range.

I did change the saddle and tyres (Brooks/Gatorskins) but other than that it has served me well.

Also it has the advantage of not attracting attention from thieves as Decathlon = cheap

Sorry ment to say under £200 from memory