podium girls

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
I don't want to appear to be reinforcing stereotypes here, and of course there's nothing wrong with women dating/marrying men who are shorter than they are, but it does seem weird that in more than half of the podium presentations I see the podium girls are unnaturally tall women who dwarf the winner and have to stoop to do the cheek-kissing bit. A lot of cyclists are shorter-than-average men, so why hire podium girls who are considerably taller-than-average women? I know it shouldn't look weird if I have my politically-correct hat on, but it still does... :wink:

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Not only do pro-cyclists tend to be below average height, don't models tend to be above average height.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • neeb
    don't models tend to be above average height

Yup, I guess that's the problem - you can't become a model unless you're tall, so when they try to hire models for podium girls they can't get any of a normal height.

I noticed in one of the recent races (Dauphine, Tour de Swiss?) that they had models for the yellow jersey presentation but normal-looking women who presumably weren't models for the stage winner's presentation. I thought the latter looked far more natural and the women were often equally or more attractive.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    from a politically correct point of view as long as they are cute with a sexy bum who cares :wink:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    nwallace wrote:
    Not only do pro-cyclists tend to be below average height, don't models tend to be above average height.
    They're all the same height lying down!

(A Dudley Moore comment, I think.)
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    And 3" heels and 2" of upswept hair adds to the difference ...
    Not to mention that the girls are in high heels and the riders are heels down / toes-up in their SIDIs.

Its why they give the riders a small crate to stand on for the podium photos.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    This thread could benefit from photographic evidence. How's this for a start?

DSC_07113.jpg
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    Ahhh, one picture more than a thousand words :D
  • jonathan2
    jonathan2 Posts: 78
    Correct me if i am wrong, but George Hincapie was not fussed about the hight of his podium girl, he married his...i think.
  • neeb
    I've just realised what it is in my subconscious that freaks me out about really tall podium girls stooping to kiss really short cyclists... it's snow white! ! :D

snowwhite460.jpg
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Well, at 5' 5'', i 'm glad that there is still some hope for my career change to that of professional cyclist.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    Im 5' 6'', theres still hope for me yet.... :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    At 6'5 it'd freak the bejesus out of me :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    I wouldn't care one jot if they were taller than me - merely being there would mean that I'd won a stage or race, plus I'd get kisses from someone other than my wife!
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Ieuanllan wrote:
    I wouldn't care one jot if they were taller than me - merely being there would mean that I'd won a stage or race, plus I'd get kisses from someone other than my wife!

:):)
  • Evil_Cod
    Evil_Cod Posts: 35
    jonathan2 wrote:
    Correct me if i am wrong, but George Hincapie was not fussed about the hight of his podium girl, he married his...i think.

As did Moreau