Oh no my new Pikes are leaking oil :-(

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a new bike the other week which features 426 Air U turn Pike forks. Have been storing the bike upside down in the conservatory.

The other day I noticed a bit of oil or something on top of the travel adjuster. Thought it must have been a bit of residue from my Muc Off bike spray or something and just wiped it off.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed that there were a few small pools of oil on the floor near the forks. Also noticed that there was oil on the travel adjuster. Anyway cleaned it all up and put the bike back upside down. Checked again this morning and there were no drops of oil on the floor.

Just got back from work now and there is quite a big pool on the floor :o

I'm thinking that the reason they leaked today but not last night is something to do with temperature as it gets very hot in the conservatory in the daytime.

Had a look at the Pike Service manual. Am I right in thinking that this is just lube oil for the seals as opposed to hydraulic oil? If so will it cause a problem with the fork?

As far as I can see there has been no loss in air pressure (well no increase in sag) and the fork seems to be operating as normal. However when the fork extends I can hear like a bubbling noise near the travel adjuster.

Cheers

Stu

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which leg? it still has a job to do lubing the seals.

get a bike stand. and get the LBS to look at it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Its the left hand leg (from the riders perspective). Its the leg where the dual air chamber is.

Stu