Helmet Cams

always_tyred
always_tyred Posts: 4,965
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
I've just spent half an hour being entertained by videos on youtube posted by cyclists with helmet cameras.

Anyone out there use one? Useful for shaming people into calming down, or are they just inflamatory?

I'd seriously consider it if I could get one unobtrusive enough. However I can only really see models about as large as my main front light for sale. Surely technology can provide us with something smaller, able to be hidden in a helmet vent or somewhere like that?

Comments

• JoeSoap76
    JoeSoap76 Posts: 109
    I've recently got myself an ATC3K. It isn't small and it has other drawbacks (such as the sound really sucks) but it came in at under £100. The biggest bonus for me is that it's self-contained.

Spending more money will get you a smaller lens that will be a lot less obtrusive... but the trade off is that for a small lens on your helmet you'll need the gubbins (recorder, batteries, etc.) elsewhere and, mostly, they'll need to be wired to the lens.

I dare say that I'll be upgrading mine to a better quality, smaller, wired model at some point - but £100 seemed like a good enough budget to start out with.

It's bizarre but knowing I have a camera on my helmet actually makes me cycle with more care and attention. It's great watching the film back and seeing other people acting like muppets, but it's more difficult to do if you've just watched yourself do something stupid.

Also, it's a reassurance that if I ever do end up across the bonnet of a car (or worse) I'll hopefull have something to show what happened.

Oh - and I can't pretend there isn't a certain satisfaction putting videos of idiots up on YouTube... I suppose we all like to feel a little superior every now and then :wink:
  • Dunch1979
    Dunch1979 Posts: 6
    is the atc3k the replacement for the atc2k? they seem to be the cameras that everyone refers to and not too bad a price compared to soem of the others.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Joe - I've read others talk about the sound quality on the ATC 2K elsewhere. Is it good enough to understand voices? Ie. if someone shouts obscenities at you from a car!!

I'm seriously considering getting one of these after being badly cut-up by a car driver. I totally agree about cycling with more care and attention with the camera on, as I was pretty rude to the driver. Not much good if I had to give the film to the plod as evidence :oops:
  • rjcastillo
    rjcastillo Posts: 41
    I've learned from bitter experience that evidence means everything. I'm shopping around for a helmet cam now. I've been run off the road by some unprovoked, malicious idiot and with no witness, the Met just shooed me away!
  • JoeSoap76
    don_don wrote:
    Joe - I've read others talk about the sound quality on the ATC 2K elsewhere. Is it good enough to understand voices? Ie. if someone shouts obscenities at you from a car!!
    The ATC 3K was supposed to have improved sound quality compared to the 2K... it's still not great though.

You can (just about) make out obsenities from drivers. I actually got threatened the first week out with it so you can get an idea from this clip what kind of evidence it would make:

(warning - both of these clips contain swearing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXjOqzTac4

I was more upset by the comment on my weight than the threat - I've lost 28lbs, ya ******* :evil: :lol:

Compare the sound in mine above with the sound in one from somebody like Magnatom (who, I'm willing to bet, has spent quite a bit more than £100 on his gear):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyKazfxauI

The difference is quite obvious... I guess it's down to what you can live with.

To be honest, my main problem isn't the sound - it's the field of view. I've had a few occasions when I've been out and thought "glad I caught that on camera" only to find that it was just out of the cameras view.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about the ATC3K. It's hundreds of pounds cheaper than the next best alternative I could find, it does the job and I don't have to worry about wires or carry a recorder around in a backpack. If I ever have a spare £500 burning a hole in my pocket I'll know what to spend it on, but for now I'm just having fun :D
  • rjcastillo
    I would imagine that jumping the red light to then cycle on to the pedestrian crossing didn't earn you too many brownie points! Hehe
  • JoeSoap76
    rjcastillo wrote:
    I would imagine that jumping the red light to then cycle on to the pedestrian crossing didn't earn you too many brownie points! Hehe
    I agree... but... well... that's the way the marked cycle route goes??? :oops:
  • rjcastillo
    odd routing! it's probably all jealousy! I'm on 2 weels all the time (powered or pedalled) so I've always got someone hating and resenting me!!