Avalanche 1.0 disc 07 V 08

JamesKent
JamesKent Posts: 35
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
need an educated opinion on the differences (if any) and if its worth paying out the extra for the 08.

J

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    08 has an updated lighter frame, better cranks and bottom bracket, and SHimano front hub. It is better overall. But if the 07 can be got for a good price, I'd just wait until the cranks die then replace with a good set.
  • JamesKent
    cheapest i can find:

07 = £429

08 = £475

probably best off going for the 08? gutted i missed the 08 @ 449 in Winstanleys bikes sale :cry:
  • supersonic
    Yeah, I'd take the 08. Have you tried one out?
  • JamesKent
    i tried a 2006 but i'm guessing its changed a bit. still the 2006 felt good (along some coastal tracks/trails)
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    I had the '06 till some chav knicked it. Getting the expert next week.

I'd take the '08 too personally. also depends which one you like the look of better? Silver for the '08 or black for the '07 isn't it? Saw the '08 a couple of weeks ago, very nice!
  • JamesKent
    i think the 07 looks smarter but im not too fussed over the colour as long as its not cheap looking.
  • JamesKent
    ok i just spotted the Avalanche "Expert", whats the deal with that?? this whole deal started with me finding the avalanche 3.0 and i keep finding more expensive avalanches! :lol: the expert looks smart though.
  • GibboGT
    Same boat as me :lol: took me 4 days to get from the avalanche 3.0 to the expert. Your problem then is for £700 there are a lot more bikes.

trek 6700 £700 down from £850
    spec rockhopper comp £750 I think
    Cube ltd team £750
  • JamesKent
    @gibbo gt , just had a look at the others you mentioned, they all look nice :lol: 8) i cant believe im seriously considering spending that much on a bike but ive also never been out so much as i have lately so its gonna be worth it. anyway thanks for giving me more of a headache :wink:
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    A budget is made to be exceeded :wink:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I have just got an Avalanche 1.0 08 and the silver looks so much better than in pictures! I haven't found too much to complain about yet, but I do find that the lever on the brakes is a little too wide and flat for me, I much prefer the more sculpted, thinner lever on my dad's LX hydros. I also get a horrible hollow knocking noise when I hit bumps on steep downhills. I think it's the rear mech hitting on the chainstay. Other than that lovely bike!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • GibboGT
    The silver does look so tasty in the flesh, and I don't like silver bikes, its one of the major reasons I discounted the Trek as an option.

One thing though, not sure what size bike you need, but your budget and desicion may be helped by the fact that a lot of bikes seem to be becomming out of stock in the large size.

Maybe make your mind up quickly before being disappointed again!

and always try to buy from a store you can go to. internet shopping is great and all, but you will be so much better off if you can get it in a good store.

Budgets are funny things. evans C2W are taking forever to sort out my voucher. So now i've decided on the expert i'm thinking about other things, I want a fork with motion control dampening which the expert doesn't have, (only has the 302 tora's) so i'm thinking of asking for a price for an exchange. Its rediculous! why can't they just send me the voucher and i'll be happy to buy what I want now, and not what i'm going to want after another week of not having a bike!

Why even though 3 weeks ago I was thrilled to be getting the avalanche 1.0 am I know not even quite happy with the spec of the expert?!?!

In all seriousness, stop while you can! save yourself!

don't upgrade to the expert, just buy the 1.0 and if you have some more cash, negotiate for a better fork :wink:
  • JamesKent
    i really kept saying to myself im not going over £500 but the 500/1000 range has some really attractive rides! i think i would be happy with the Avalanche 1.0, just annoyed i missed the sale at winstanleys when it was £449 :o also i wanted my brother to get a bike on the C2W scheme and i would pay him but he has decided HE wants a bike aswell so im gonna have to pay full for mine (argh) so yea i can see him riding a 2k bike while im stuck on my £500 ride (doh).

as for going into a store, i went into a local bike shop/GT outlet and the guy in there had the typical moody face / dont ask me anything look but i asked about the avalanche and he started moaning about deliveries not arriving, he then proceeded to cuss my carrera banshee into the ground before suggesting i go to halfords and spend 150 on a crappy full susser from there (god knows how he arrived at telling me to go to halfords). so yea a bit of a pointless visit.

p.s saracen zen 1 looks nice 8)

*headache continues*
  • GibboGT
    Sounds like a horrific bike store?!?! You seriously have nothing else in the area?

I've not heard great things about winstanleys, so don't be too disappointed. Although never dealt with them myself so can't comment.

In all honesty if I weren't on the C2W scheme i'd be going for the avalanche 1.0 without a doubt, amazing bike for the money. The C2W just allowed me to plump for something with a few extra's I probably wont need. :wink:

Your brother will only be able to spend up to 1k, unless he adds his own cash to it. so don't get too jealous.

Oh and technically C2W you are only loaning your bike from the company and at the end of the year they can keep it if they want or sell it to you for 5% + vat.
  • JamesKent
    yea im on the east Kent coast (dead area as far as bike stores) just a halfords and dire selection of dated bike shops. so im stuck with the good judgement of people on this forum and reviews although i know at the end of the day you should get on these things before making a decision. the avalanche 1.0 is still the front runner in all of this although i really prefer the look of the trek 6700 but the avalanche has the better reviews.
  • GibboGT
    I tried the 6700, nice bike, great spec, brakes felt good, its just a different ride position, very long with a long stem. It is a good value bike, and very light. depends what you want it for.
  • JamesKent
    would be used more on concrete coastal bike paths than XC.
  • GibboGT
    Stick with the avalanche 1.0, spend a little money on a change of tyre. probably better than really pushing your budget without trying first.

the avalanche 1.0 gets great reviews, and people still love it even when comparing it to much more expensive bikes!
  • JamesKent
    Hi again, so thought i would go into halfords today and have a look around for no reason and noticed they sell GT bikes, up until now ive totally avoided halfords but noticed the "Aggressor" range priced similar to the Avalanche range, whats the deal with this? tried to google it but not much information on the differences if there are any. does anyone have any info?
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Dave_78
    Dave_78 Posts: 2
    I bought the Avalanche 1.0 disc 08 a few weeks ago, which I'm really pleased with - especially my local bike shop in Leeds have 15% off all bikes in store, so it was only £425. :D

Only thing that concerns me is the Pedals - GT's website says it should come with Shimano PDM520 Clipless pedals - however my bike came with some basic Wellgo M21 pedals (which all the reflectors have already dropped off)

If anyone else has bought this bike recently can you let me know what pedals you got? Not sure if I should take it up with the shop or not....
  • supersonic
    Specs can vary a little - and it is often the importer that drop a set of pedals in the box. I take it you did not realise that the shop were selling you the bike with these pedals? If the shop advertised a different pedal, then you do indeed have a reason to take it up.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Aggresor is Halfords spec Avalance, what about http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... m1b1s2p679 though. Really want one myself. Have thought about 'accidently' breaking my Felt so it becomes a priority!!!!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I believe that the spec on the site is the US spec. UK bikes only have 1 colour option too. Mine came with a Pure V saddle rather than the listed Speed V,
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Dave_78
    Dave_78 Posts: 2
    Cheers Supersonic/Blackspur - Ive checked my bikeshops website and it does say the GT is supplied with the Wellgo pedels so I dont have an argument. Although, interestingly, they do have a pair of the Shimano PDM520's in their 'bargain bin' ....... only for sale with a new bike!!!