Salt

miket-62
miket-62 Posts: 227
Hi
How much salt is good for you?
How much salt is bad for you?
Just recently on the night after a days ride I keep getting the feeling of "on-coming" cramps in my legs. Fortunenatly not resulting in a major cramp up, but the sensation is there!
A friend told my it might be salt related, too much, too little! How do I know whether I need more or less?
Do you guys (and girls) put salt on your food?
Is cramping up salt related or something else?

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    6g is the recommended maximum per day.

That's not much so unlikely you don't get enough but most isotonic drinks will sort you out.
  • toby_g
    toby_g Posts: 37
    Potassium helps to prevent cramps too.

Potassium is found by the bucket load in bananas, a couple after a ride will no only restock your carbs but help to stave off cramp too.
  • miket-62
    Cheers!
    Thinking about it I do eat quite a bit of fruit but not many Bananas!
    I'll go buy some and eat them after my next ride :)
    Ta
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Hi,

I've had a similar problem, although I was getting it more in the form of headaches. I used to take a packet of salted nuts to eat as I was riding, which seemed to help.

I did a reasonably long ride recently though and used Nuun Electrolyte replacement and it seemed to help with staving off the problems. It might be worth a try in your case. It doesn't have glucose in it so doesn't make your camelbak/bottle too sticky either.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i always put a pinch of salt in my camelbak, maybe an 1/8-1/4 tsp. for me it seems to keep cramps away and i think the salt might help in keeping bacteria away from my camelbak too?
  • miket-62
    Thanks chaps
    I'll try all of the above and see if the cramps go
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    I go with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of sugar in my drink, never cramp and never need to stop for mid-ride toilet breaks like when I drink normal fluids
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"