new wheels?

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm relatively new to the mtb scene and slowly building up a bike. I've come to the last hurdle, wheels, I have everything else, disc brakes etc. but alas no disc hub wheels and I've finally reached the end of my budget. I'm amazed at how much more expensive disc hub wheels are to normal rim brake ones so I was toying with the idea of buying some hubs and using my existing rims and spokes.

How hard is wheelbuilding?? from experience nothing is impossible with a lot of patience. I can build a computer from scratch, fix a car, even repair mobile phones so how hard will it be to build one of man's earliest inventions???

Or am I just a misguided fool who's gonna end up with a whole lotta broken face due to wheel failure?
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    easly, even I have done it!

Seriously, have a look at sheldon browns site, it has a easy to follow wheel building guide. Use your frame as a wheel jig and take it slowly and you will be fine. The only thing that really needs experience is knowing what final tension you need in the spokes so have a twang of the existing wheels so you get the right idea before you take them apart!

On the other hand I am not sure how much you will really save. If you are buying hubs and spokes then cost it up and compare to the prices on merlins website. You might be surprised how little difference there is.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Unless your new hubs have exactly the same pitch circle diameter for the spoke holes, your spokes will be the wrong length and by the time you've replaced them you may as well have had new rims as well.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    schnazzerfraz!!!

I thought that might be the case. mind you it would at least be another skill set.
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been