Its not all carbon frames and bulging lycra

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Just wanted to share my news about coming third in my first ever ten mile time trial yesterday, beating guys on bikes that cost 5 times as much as mine. It just goes to show it's not all about how much you can afford in the way of gear it's whats in your heart and stuff like that.

And I like to think I bulged a bit too ha ha :lol:
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...well done boybiker...I always like hearing about upstarts without the expensive kit beating those with the expensive gear :D ...it is always the rider that makes the difference. Keep it up... 8)
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • So what time did you get?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Cycling's easier on button moon due to the lower gravity and total lack of air resistance... :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Hats off to ya BB, sounds like you're a bit of a natural at the TT-ing lark. I really want to have a pop at a proper 10 mile TT myself and keep deluding myself that I'll achieve a podium position first time out! As it is I'm too lazy to figure out how to go about entering one...

Just out of interest, what was the general reaction to a young upstart beating more experienced guys with all the flash gear?
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    33 minutes 40 seconds which was blinking hard work as it was very windy and hilly, the fastest guy did it in 28 minutes and something and he had a proper TT bike.
    I have to admit I am suffering a bit today :?
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Nice one.

Don't want to take anything away from you but what event was it? To come in over 5 minutes adrift on a '10' and that still be good enough for third place is a bit uncommon. It must have been a tough course for the winner to do it in 28 mins on a proper TT bike!
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    this dude came first didn't he?

buttonmoon2.gif
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Well done! It must have been a hard day and course but you overcame it.

The bit of racing I did was on a Mercian touring frame (originally built for 27" wheels) with a pair of sprints I built myself (Mavic/Campag Record 36 hole L/F). My usual '10' time on a flat course with minimal traffic was around 25 minutes (pb 24' 50").

A young lad turned up one evening for his first race with a brand new TT bike quite convinced he was going to win as he had the best bike. He didn't even get inside 30 minutes and we never saw him again.

It's the 'engine' and the ability to suffer that counts. The fancy kit comes later.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    In my triathlon yesterday, I was quietly satisfied when I, on my Giant SCR3, caught up with, and then dropped like water, a guy on a full on TT bike, smurf helmet and everything. :D

I'm almost glad I haven't got enough money to kit myself out like that, 'cause I'm really not that great a bike myself, 13.6 miles took me over 45 minutes! :oops:
    I like to think I over did it on the swim, but I know it isn't true.