That was quick

Phekdra
Phekdra Posts: 137
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
This morning I was put humbly in my place by a cyclist who overtook me at great speed coming down a very steep, twisty road and then proceeded to burn me off as though I were standing still. The worst part was that he was so cheerful and pleasant about it! :D

Actually that was the second worst part - the worst part was that he had clearly just climbed the same hill I had to get to this point and which involved me hacking up bits of bloody lung!

I didn't get a look at his bike as he was gone in a flash, but I'll bet it was drool-worthy 8) . I'm not used to getting overtaken by other bikes due to the stupid times at which I generally ride - in fact this was the first time since I got my road bike in February. It did focus my mind a bit, though, encouraging me to do only my second 100k rather than chickening out and taking the short cut home. It wasn't exactly quick as it was all uphill with at least two 14%+ climbs, one of which required me to lean back as as soon as I got out of the saddle my rear wheel started to lose grip. Lucky I had a good stash of bananas with me!

Now I plan to sob quietly into my muesli, curse the Met Office, and eat for the rest of the day. :D

Phekdra

Comments

• ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Last time that happened to me was the other day on the snake pass. It was a Lamboukrediet rider though. Not sure who it was, but it was definitely a pro. Had all the team kit and bike and what not. He was going rather fooking fast!
  • happened to me as well, i was sweating like a pig in the hot sun and had just gone over hill. the guy was on a really light looking road bike, giant i think it was. i thought i was going fast...
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Phekdra and ajohn9, where are you in wiltshire? Plus, you say snake pass - as in the one near salisbury?
  • Phekdra
    huggy wrote:
    Phekdra and ajohn9, where are you in wiltshire? Plus, you say snake pass - as in the one near salisbury?

I am in Salisbury. The hill I'm referring to is Zig-Zag hill, which is actually just in to Dorset coming up to Shaftesbury, and would be a fun descent if it wasn't for the fact that the road surface is made out of glued together sea shells. Snake (or Snakey) Pass is the first climb on my Sunday route to get me used to pain early! :D

Phekdra
  • huggy
    Ah ok. Do you ride with the SRC? Snake pass (as in by the Woodfords) is pretty tough :) Do you ride round the woodfords on weeknight evenings? I keep meeting a cyclist who tries to get a bit racy but is so easily burnt off.
  • Phekdra
    huggy wrote:
    Ah ok. Do you ride with the SRC? Snake pass (as in by the Woodfords) is pretty tough :) Do you ride round the woodfords on weeknight evenings? I keep meeting a cyclist who tries to get a bit racy but is so easily burnt off.

No, I haven't joined a club yet - I haven't been doing this for very long. During the week I ride to and from work so I don't tend go out cycling in the evenings, although I do go via the woodfords. I know my place, though - I wouldn't dare race anyone with a nice bike and wearing lycra. :D

Phekdra
  • huggy
    I'm thinking of joining of SRC, but they won't let under 18s go without a parent, so I'm pretty screwed on that front. There's a TT in 2 weeks if you're interested, in the Woodfords, then there's a New Forest 70 miler coming up in 2 weeks.
    I'll say hi if I see you about!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Phekdra wrote:
    This morning I was put humbly in my place by a cyclist who overtook me at great speed coming down a very steep, twisty road and then proceeded to burn me off as though I were standing still. The worst part was that he was so cheerful and pleasant about it!

Well that's something I suppose. The first time I was overtaken the git just emptied his nostrils at me after he got passed. I'll have him when I get my new bike.

On the Norwich 50 I was overtaken by two hunnies on a tandem! They weren't hanging around I can tell you.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    huggy wrote:
    Plus, you say snake pass - as in the one near salisbury?

i'm guessing the one near glossop but who knows? :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.