I'm turning into a roadie

johnnyc71
johnnyc71 Posts: 178
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Ordered a set of spare wheels from Paul Hewiits shop.

Ambrosio Excellence rims
Ultegra hubs
DT spokes
36/32 spoke count - since they need to be strong!

I wonder how they will compare to the Planet X models C's I'm currently using?

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Are you not too impressed with the Planet X wheels then? I was thinking about getting some as a spare pair for winter.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    No problems with the Planet X wheels at all. It's just that I'm 18 stone and wanted a spare set of wheels, in case I had to take them to be trued. They are 32 spoke each.

I've only put in about 50 miles on the Model C's - on a variety of bumpy roads. There is a slight 1mm or so movement on the back - so I guess they are holding up fine. I think the Model C's would make a great winter wheel. They appear strong enough anyhow!
  • jpembroke
    Thanks for that. I thought they looked about the best deal at the £150 price point. Plus I've owned 5 Planet X bikes (currently have 3) and have always been impressed with their kit. Reckon they'd be an ideal set of wheels for winter training and sportives.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    There is an argument that higher spoke count doesn't necessarily mean a stronger wheel... I'm not qualified enough to point you in the right direction or explain it, but it's out there!
  • jpembroke
    BTW, in answer to your original question, I reckon your new wheels will be on a par with the Planet X: rims, hubs, and spokes all of a similar quality. The important thing is having a good wheel builder and by going to Paul Hewitt you chose well.