Front rack...

Ambermile
Ambermile Posts: 117
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi - I have suspensoin forks and hydraulic disc brakes... and consequently am having a real pain finding a front pannier rack. Does anyone know of one that will fit please?

Thanks

Arthur
The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Nitto M12 fits to brake bosses (if you have them) or the M18 with clamps (if you don't have them, your fork may have holes with plugs which if removed will allow brake bosses to be fitted);

The Sherpa fits to fork legs with clamps;

the Ultimate Lowrider is said to fit to almost any fork.

Then there's the Tubus Swing (pricey, but Tubus are the Rolls Royce of racks IMHO);

the Delta (requires V brake bosses);

The Nitto's may not suit panniers, but the others do.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Not a pannier rack, but the Carradice Limpet looks interesting:

limpet-superc.jpg

http://www.carradice.co.uk/panniers/lim ... iers.shtml

Never used one though.
  • Ambermile
    OK - all looking neat but none of those state discs? Wil I have to ditch either the brakes or the front panniers? Or even the forks!
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • alfablue
    Ambermile wrote:
    OK - all looking neat but none of those state discs? Wil I have to ditch either the brakes or the front panniers? Or even the forks!
    Will discs present a problem with all of these? The discs are inboard of the forks so some of these designs should work, I reckon. The Sherpa certainly should, IMHO.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I had the Carradice set-up.

Getting the bags off the rack is a bit fiddly; you have to slide them up/down the poles. If you did that everyday on a tour, it could drive you crazy - much better to leave them on and just take out the contents.

I have since sold the gear to a friend who has sus' forks and they fit okay.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Ambermile
    alfablue wrote:
    Ambermile wrote:
    Will discs present a problem with all of these? The discs are inboard of the forks so some of these designs should work, I reckon. The Sherpa certainly should, IMHO.

Well, it's not the disc so much as the caliper -even the rear rack I had to lower and bend a little to get to the mount points.

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • alfablue
    Ambermile wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Ambermile wrote:

Well, it's not the disc so much as the caliper -even the rear rack I had to lower and bend a little to get to the mount points.

Arthur
    This is why I think the Sherpa will fit

sherpa-front.jpg

It mounts on the forward/upper side of the fork, and unlike the rear, your caliper should be mounted on the rear/lower side of the fork.
  • alfablue
    edited June 2008
    Here it is on a disc-equipped fork:

sherpaF.jpg

close-up

sf_02.jpg
  • Ambermile
    I see... looks almost right then, but I don't have the V brake mountings. Would something "bolt-on" come with the rack do you know?

Arthur

PS - OK, they do - I just checked 8)

PPS - Hmm, looks simple enough so I could likely knock up a couple of brackets for the axles myself...
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • alfablue
    Not quite sure why you would want to make the axle mount, they should come supplied with the rack.

The Ultimate Lowrider fits suspension forks with disc brakes and without v-brake bosses, according to the Arkel web site
  • Ambermile
    Price really... I can get a £30 front rack and mount it the same way :D

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • alfablue
    Oh I see - good plan Arthur!
  • alfablue
    Add to the list the Axiom Odyssee Suspension Low Rider, looks perfect, works with suspension and discs, and above all, cheap at £19.95

00007282.jpg
  • Ambermile
    Now that *does* look a better option! I may well go that way then - thanks!

Arthur

PS - hmmm, most dealers are showing out of stock! B*gger :(
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • alfablue
    Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op are showing "Low Stock" (click my link above), hopefully low stock doesn't mean no stock.
  • Ambermile
    I saw that, but then again I just got caught out by ATC when I ordered some panniers last week only to be told today when I called asking where they were that they would not even arrive at the *shop* until tomorrow :shock: I'll be lucky to have them here for Friday when I leave... :roll:

That is *so* annoying... why can't they just say "Yes, we have one/ten/shedloads" or "No, not a sausage" ?

Arthur :evil:
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • alfablue
    It is annoying, maybe give 'em a call?
  • Ambermile
    Have done and they have stock so will order one - too late for this weekend now but I'm not needing it for this ride anyway.

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra