first ride.

romore
romore Posts: 26
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
had my first ride to work today it is 7.6 mile each way and very hilly. had to get off and walk up some of the hills, i just didnt have the power or fitness to ride up them all the way,

when i got to work i felt a bit sick and really dizzy it was almost like i was hungover and i couldnt think straight it was very wierd. does anyone know why i felt like this?

it didnt seem half as bad on the way back. it took me about 45 mins each way.

my a*** is really sore and i'm glad ive not got to work tomorrow becourse i doubt i will be able to sit on that seat for a few days. how does everyone else deal with this? is it something that will go after time?

i'm hopeing that its going to easyer as i get fitter, will or wont it?

for saying ive never really riden a road bike before and ive not ridden a mountain bike for about 5 years, i quite enjoyed it when i had actually reached my destination.

sorry to go on but my main question is why did i feel dizzy and wierd after my first journey, has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• How old are you?

What exercise have you been doing before taking up road cycling?

Weight?

General health?

All above could be factors to feeling dizzy/sick. It's probably just a fitness thing. I felt the same when I first took up cycling 4 years ago. Got easier the more riding I did. You need to build up your time on the bike slowly. Going from nothing to a hilly 15 mile return is hard after 5 years off a bike. Take it steady and don't worry about your speed, that will come in time as you get fitter.

As regards a sore a***e, padded shorts will help and your rear end will 'harden up' over time. Put Sudocream on afterwards.
  • judokev
    judokev Posts: 49
    Did you eat any breakfast before you set off? have enough to drink?
    It might have been a shock to your system doing exercise early in the morning if you havnt done muchfor a while.
    Try going out over the weekend after your breakfast and see how you feel.

What kind of bike did you get?

Judo kev :lol:
  • romore
    What kind of bike did you get?

i got a b twin sport 2, and i'm pretty pleased with the bike but having never ridden any other i dont know how it would compare to anything else but i'm happy with it and i think i got a pretty good deal.

Did you eat any breakfast before you set off? have enough to drink?

yea i had breakfast, but i dont know about fluid. i was really thirsty when i got there and made sure i drank plenty during the day and i felt ok after the ride home.
    What exercise have you been doing before taking up road cycling?

ive done nothing cardio wise for about 2-3 months before that mainly boxing type stuff and some judo. i'd say i was of adeqaute fitness for those :lol: but fitness has always been my down fall and the thing i find hardest. hence me taking up rideing to work to try and get a good level of fitness.

Weight?

i may be slightly over weight but nothing major.

General health

health wise i am fine.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    After years of judo I thought I was pretty fit but a 6 year gap between giving up judo and starting cycling showed up a complete lack of aerobic fitness.
    Don't worry though it soon comes, just don't rush it and gradually build up distance and speed.
    Found a combination of sudocrem and talc before and after rides helps with soreness but to be honest its not been a big problem, more importantly the set up of the bike helps with comfort.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I nearly died after my first proper ride. It's just fitness (and maybe fuelling).

Keep going. It gets easier*!

*not much though :wink:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I soon learned it's a totally different kind of fitness riding a bike to many other sports.

I used to play alot of football, but was nearly dead after my first full on ride, but I'm getting alot better now :D
  • romore wrote:
    sorry to go on but my main question is why did i feel dizzy and wierd after my first journey, has anyone got any ideas?

It's almost certainly a combination of unaccustomed harsh exercise and inadequate preparation (e.g., eating the wrong thing, or to close to the ride).

But, you know, as a taxpayer you're funding this thing called the National Health Service, and you're jolly well entitled to use it. That tax money doesn't all go on street lighting, you know :) So go see your GP, and say you want an ECG and a full blood count for starters.

And don't take healthcare advice from a Web forum :) Anybody who is competent to give it won't do so. I spent three years teaching examination of the cardiovascular system to medical students, and I can't recall any part of the process that could have been done with a Web browser.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Nuggs wrote:
    I nearly died after my first proper ride. It's just fitness (and maybe fuelling).

Keep going. It gets easier*!

*not much though :wink:

Yes! and get some padded shorts, or inner shorts.

You'll soon build up
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • romore
    well i bit the bullet and went out for a ride again today even though i was sore. go to say i enjoyed a lot more when i knew i didnt have to do it and i didnt have to be anywhere.

i went out for about an hour took it really steady and really enjoyed it, i hope i start to enjoy riding to work.

i felt completly differnet when i had finished no sickness or dizzyness but i felt good and full of energy and kind of envigirated like i wanted to go out again (but i didnt :lol: ) WIERD! why is this?

when i first got up this morning my shoulders and neck muscle where really sore, but a good kind of sore like you get from lifting weights. i assume this is due to holding myself in the riding position, is this correct?
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    The dizzy sickness thing.

I get this if I've not done out for a bit. It happens for me even on a short ride if I push hard all the way.

The next day ride easy so you could talk all the time as you ride. (not gasping/panting)

After that I don't get it again so long as I ride or run at least once out of three days.

Try to plan your ride to work so you get there with 20 mins to cool off and come back from planet exercise. (not dizzy just a different mindset).

Your fitness should increase rapidly if you continue regularly and you will grind over hills you now walk up.

If its just the bones of your backside that are sore they will harden over time (less than 1 month regular riding)

Chafing was a problem for me as I have delicate skin so.........

If your skin is getting sore invest in some nice shorts, go commando with them and maybe use a chamois cream. I couldn't believe the difference this made to my comfort, it enabled me to ride +30miles repeatedly and not sting in the shower. I found bibshorts best and am currently on Giordana Tenax. If you are self conscious put trackies over the top no one need know.

Best of British luck.

*edit just seen your last post see what i mean 'bout the dizzyness*