RLJ meets Critical Mass

phil_ss1
phil_ss1 Posts: 194
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Please can the "safe" RLJ'rs explain to the rest of us law abiding riders what will happen when the number of cyclists reaches the point that when approaching any red light lots of d**kheads are RLJ'ing from any direction..... :twisted:

Be interested to know how an RLJ'er will feel when they get knocked off by a fellow law breaker - who will they blame????? - who will they sue????

What goes around comes around.

:idea: STOP the RLJ'ing :idea:

Phil

Comments

• What happened on your ride in this morning Phil..? Not trying to be a smartarse, just reading between the lines, but do you want to get it off your chest?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    Please can the "safe" RLJ'rs explain to the rest of us law abiding riders what will happen when the number of cyclists reaches the point that when approaching any red light lots of d**kheads are RLJ'ing from any direction..... :twisted:

Be interested to know how an RLJ'er will feel when they get knocked off by a fellow law breaker - who will they blame????? - who will they sue????

What goes around comes around.

:idea: STOP the RLJ'ing :idea:

Phil

All I can say is if it ain't clear and safe to go don't go. So no different to any other situation really.

Pip pip.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Happened to me yesterday morning.....

Coming round Parliament Sq I'll take the left down Whitehall (if the lights to get passed the House are red) then the right after the Cenotaph past the MOD and then left onto the embankment again.

I was following a bus down past the MOD so the lightst the bottom were green when I got there - going round the corner at speed and cranked over when a RLJer came through the main lights on the embankment.......

Arss
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Last week on the way back from the chemist I had to pass through 5 sets of lights, as I was stopped at the first set a RLJ'er passed through, as he did the next set. At the third he paused and waited for the traffic to clear then went through on red. At the fourth set he stopped :shock: as he did at the fifth. The advantage he gained over me at each set was only about 10 seconds and I made sure I overtook him between each set :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I'd be interested to know exactly what is meant by RLJ...

I feel much safer if I can move off from the lights in front of the cars so I don't get squashed at the edges of the road when the lights change. This will mean overtaking stationary traffic whilst the light is red and then stopping in front of the first car, sometimes slightly beyond the white line. This can get congested as more and more people cycle...but I don't really see a way round it.

Is this what you mean phil? Or literally ignore red lights completely?
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    phil_ss1 wrote:

Not a lot. The safe ones pause and look.

I'm fairly certain it's still RLJing, but it's no more dangerous than my approach to the (admittedly dwindling) number of non-light-controlled junctions...
  • iainment
    redvee wrote:
    Last week on the way back from the chemist I had to pass through 5 sets of lights, as I was stopped at the first set a RLJ'er passed through, as he did the next set. At the third he paused and waited for the traffic to clear then went through on red. At the fourth set he stopped :shock: as he did at the fifth. The advantage he gained over me at each set was only about 10 seconds and I made sure I overtook him between each set :lol:

All that shows is you cycle faster than this guy, if he's in a hurry and he's a slow pedaller and he's making sure that there is no danger to him or other road users I don't see any problem.
    He gives you a target to reel in, bless him.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    Doesn't matter what vehicle I'm driving. Bike, car, whatever. The traffic laws are the traffic laws. Red means stop. It doesn't say "well I reckon" anywhere in the highway code.

I'd be interested to know if those who "well I reckon" their impatient way through junctions without waiting for the lights when they're on their bikes do the same when they're driving their cars. "The light was red but I reckon it was safe to go, so I went".

The last thing I want is to be travelling at speed through a set of green lights only to have some plonker roll his bike into my path because of what he, in his wisdom, "reckoned" it was safe to do. Especially not if I'm on my own bike.

As for the "safety" rationalisation, for all those who "have to" get ahead because they don't want to be alongside a vehicle at the junction. It's very simple: If it's not safe to be alongside a vehicle, don't go alongside a vehicle. Use good lane positioning and wait further back.

Read cyclecraft. Get patience.

My 4p worth.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • iainment
    Parkey wrote:
    Doesn't matter what vehicle I'm driving. Bike, car, whatever. The traffic laws are the traffic laws. Red means stop. It doesn't say "well I reckon" anywhere in the highway code.

I'd be interested to know if those who "well I reckon" their impatient way through junctions without waiting for the lights when they're on their bikes do the same when they're driving their cars. "The light was red but I reckon it was safe to go, so I went".

The last thing I want is to be travelling at speed through a set of green lights only to have some plonker roll his bike into my path because of what he, in his wisdom, "reckoned" it was safe to do. Especially not if I'm on my own bike.

As for the "safety" rationalisation, for all those who "have to" get ahead because they don't want to be alongside a vehicle at the junction. It's very simple: If it's not safe to be alongside a vehicle, don't go alongside a vehicle. Use good lane positioning and wait further back.

Read cyclecraft. Get patience.

My 4p worth.

Your finger was quivering with righteous rage when you posted this wasn't it?
    Only posted 3 times!!!

Pip pip.

Remember more facial hair, more points.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment
    spen666 wrote:
    said in triplicate so it must be
    1) true or
    2) Parkey is impatient
    3) Parkey has a twitchy finger

4)He works for the council
    Joseph Gallivan
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    iainment wrote:
    redvee wrote:

All that shows is you cycle faster than this guy, if he's in a hurry and he's a slow pedaller and he's making sure that there is no danger to him or other road users I don't see any problem.

He's also breaking the law

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • iainment
    SecretSam wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    redvee wrote:

He's also breaking the law

Crikey. I'd keep well away from him then, he might do anything.
    Break one law and there'll be no stopping him, robbing, violence, fraud, treason, personation.....
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Parkey
    iainment wrote:
    I'd keep well away from him then, he might do anything.
    Break one law and there'll be no stopping him, robbing, violence, fraud, treason, personation.....

Troll slaying.... :D
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Parkey wrote:
    The last thing I want is to be travelling at speed through a set of green lights only to have some plonker roll his bike into my path because of what he, in his wisdom, "reckoned" it was safe to do.

Exactly - I've had several near misses with these morons.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    iainment wrote:

que?

Also RLJ'ing a gateway crime?... very good
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iainment
    Clever Pun wrote:
    iainment wrote:

que?

Also RLJ'ing a gateway crime?... very good

Humour mon ami. From my belief that bearded footballers are better - Derek Hales, Georgie Best and er that's it proving my point.
    Trevor Hockey of course being the exception to this rule.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Parkey

Likewise. Hence my strong feelings on the subject.
  • iainment
    Parkey wrote:

Likewise. Hence my strong feelings on the subject.

I admire a man with strong feelings.

:roll:
    Joseph Gallivan
  • AdeC
    AdeC Posts: 7
    I jump red lights and I'm damn proud of it. Why should I sit there breathing in fumes and wasting my time when I can just keep going.
    Jumped a light on yesterday's commute. Junction was totally clear. The police were 2 back from the lights and they did nothing. why? because they have more to worry about than a cyclist jumping the lights when its blatantly obvious that it was safe to do so.

breaking the law? i dont care!

there you go - that should give you some ammo

:D
  • iainment
    AdeC wrote:
    I jump red lights and I'm damn proud of it. Why should I sit there breathing in fumes and wasting my time when I can just keep going.
    Jumped a light on yesterday's commute. Junction was totally clear. The police were 2 back from the lights and they did nothing. why? because they have more to worry about than a cyclist jumping the lights when its blatantly obvious that it was safe to do so.

See he doesn't care! Next stop chaining his bike next to a sign that forbids bikes being locked to the railing.
    It's a roller coaster ride and he's on it!!
    Joseph Gallivan
  • il_principe
    AdeC wrote:

You'll care when you ram me and I come after you with my D-Lock... :lol:
  • iainment
    AdeC wrote:

You'll care when you ram me and I come after you with my D-Lock... :lol:

All on board for fantasy island! or is it another one who'll relish breaking the law.

D lock to cranium = crime.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • il_principe
    Note the smiley face... now re-evaluate.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I was almost clipped by a RLJ on this week, I got a good start when the lights went green, and came close to being taken out by a [Think of your own way of describing a very silly person]...He was carrying speed and obviously didn't want to stop, in spite of a tidal wave of hairy rsed cyclists, 1/2 a dozen motorbikes, a couple of tonnes of cars, buses, trucks et al.

I didn't know whether he was going to pass in front or behind me (and to be honest I don't think he did either)

No contact, but he shouldn't have put me in a position where if I had to break any harder I'd have had motorbike, car and bus tracks over my rse. If they wanted to become part of the tarmac, fine with me, as long as they don't take me (or anyone else) out in the process.

If you want to RLJ, go for it, just please do it when you're not going to be a danger to anyone. (including yourselves)

I've seen too many near misses where someone who thought they were safely jumping a red light, were saved from doing a bonnet bounce by a driver who was more awake than most.

Ah, and relax, now I've got that off my chest...Bring on the weekend!! :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • AdeC
    AdeC Posts: 7
    correcto! its anarchy out there - you may as well join in.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    AdeC wrote:
    The police were 2 back from the lights and they did nothing. why? because they have more to worry about than a cyclist jumping the lights when its blatantly obvious that it was safe to do so.

Working along that line...why doesn't anyone jump red lights when there are police at the traffic lights?

Funny how no RLJers have the balls to try your theory out when there are coppers on cycles or motorcycles at the lights along the embankment? :wink:

Instead everyone sits neatly behind the white line, and everyone gets away safely :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I've noted that this behaviour gets worse the nearer to 9 am it is. At 7:30, only about 1 in 5 riders I see in London RLJs. At around 8:45 (when I was going like a bugger to get where I needed to be after a train delay), it was closer to 4 out of 5. Certainly, it was by some way the majority!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Parkey wrote:
    I'm not trying to say it's legal. I don't do it out of some love of breaking the law. I do it because when it is safe to cross the road, it feels[1] much safer to cross the empty road than to sit at the red lights.
    'course, It's only the same feeling of safety that leads me to cross non-light-controlled crossings.

No, since on my motorbike I can accelerate across the junction at a similar speed to the rest of the traffic.

[1] I know my feelings might well be wrong. Hell, I know they are - I wear a helmet, after all.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    At the risk of getting shot I hate RLJ.

I was amazed/disgusted at the amount of RLJ I saw on my Thursday morning ride in the rush hour.

Is it really worth the few extra seconds by risking both your safety and others?

If you read many of the online posts on other sites about cyclists it does seem that the majority of motorists have it in for us and to some extent can you really blame them?

The roads are for ALL of us and we should ALL obey the laws. Yes, it can be a pain in the ass to follow them all. However if we want more cycling provisions/facilities that actually work and are safe to use we need to get motorists more on our side. Remember motorists are still the MAJORITY and if you want your local authority to pump resources into cycling they will only do it if they have real public support.

Just my 2c worth
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Actually, I am quite grateful to rljers.

When I'm patiently waiting on red and someone comes past, hops off the pavement and crosses the junction, it draws all of the ire of the motorists who might otherwise have hated me for simply being there.

Instead, they all think, "All cyclists should be like him."