Blow Up?

crafty
crafty Posts: 85
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I've just been reading an article by a cyclist, Russell Downing who says (and I quote),

"Don't worry if you blow up on a training session. If you do, it will be a long time before you blow again. It's like your body switches into being a lean burn engine after you've blown up."

Please explain the term 'blow up' before I worry about self combusting on my evening jaunt to the offy..

Ed

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I think 'blow up' refers to reaching the point where your body no longer works and you can go no further...
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    otherwise known as;

bonking (snigger)
    hitting the wall
    turning bricks
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Don't worry if you blow up on a training session. If you do, it will be a long time before you blow again. It's like your body switches into being a lean burn engine after you've blown up.
    How can that be right :?:
    Rich
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    RichA wrote:
    Don't worry if you blow up on a training session. If you do, it will be a long time before you blow again. It's like your body switches into being a lean burn engine after you've blown up.
    How can that be right :?:
    In this context I assume he means the point at which your muscles run out of stored energy (because you've been using it faster than you've been replenishing it during the ride) and your legs feel like they've turned to lead. The only way back is by getting some food down your throat asap.

I try to avoid "bonking" at all costs by making sure I eat throughout an event so I couldn't say whether or not once you've "blown" you can carry on cycling for ages without blewing again - but it does sound like bollox. Maybe Russ thinks everyone else is like him (Superman :shock: ).
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    For myself it's usually when my body has run out of fuel(food), which is not that often,
    or my brain starts telling me " you don't need to pedal anymore, just coast for a while,
    my god you're tired, you don't really want to do this anymore do you?", things like that.

Dennis Noward
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I could be wrong but I think he means if you do another similar length training session (not on the same day), you won't blow again.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Because you'll be making damn sure you don't bonk again!

(presumably if your body DID somehow react to a bonk, all it could realistically do would be to slow down your use of energy to avoid bonking the next time, thus resulting in lower performance? Either way I reckon it's psychological rather than physiological, but I know absolutely b*gger all)
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Russell is implying that your body becomes more efficient as a result of the bonk. And becomes "a lean burn engine". Thus on future rides you won't bonk again.

I can't see how this can be true???
    Rich
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    RichA wrote:
    Russell is implying that your body becomes more efficient as a result of the bonk. And becomes "a lean burn engine". Thus on future rides you won't bonk again.

I can't see how this can be true???

I've read somewhere that if you bonk (Go hypoglycaemic) one day, you're unlikely to do so again the next. But, I can't see how you won't ever bonk again.