First time for everything

mosfet
mosfet Posts: 26
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
I've been commuting by bike for a year now, so far I've been very lucky, no punctures en route, rarely any problems with motorists and mostly reasonable weather.

I just popped home for lunch only to have an egg thrown at me from a car passing in the opposite direction and hit me hard on the side of the head. It felt like I'd just been hit with a cricket bat (closing speed was at least 50mph), despite having a helmet.

My bag, clothes and bike are totally covered and I'm more than a little shaken up. Worst of all I didn't even realise what had happened until I drifted into a small lay-by, plenty of time for a car to disappear into the distance.

Why the hell do people do it? I can't for the life of me understand it.

(Sorry for the meaningless rant, but I now appreciate why people post on here when they have accidents - it helps to get it off your chest.)

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    thats crap sorry to hear about that hope the lunch was good
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    mosfet wrote:
    I've been commuting by bike for a year now, so far I've been very lucky, no punctures en route, rarely any problems with motorists and mostly reasonable weather.

I just popped home for lunch only to have an egg thrown at me from a car passing in the opposite direction and hit me hard on the side of the head. It felt like I'd just been hit with a cricket bat (closing speed was at least 50mph), despite having a helmet.

My bag, clothes and bike are totally covered and I'm more than a little shaken up. Worst of all I didn't even realise what had happened until I drifted into a small lay-by, plenty of time for a car to disappear into the distance.

Why the hell do people do it? I can't for the life of me understand it.

(Sorry for the meaningless rant, but I now appreciate why people post on here when they have accidents - it helps to get it off your chest.)

Answers please?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    Lack of intelligence/brain activity
    Inbreds
    Thinking it is somehow "tough"
    Just another w*nker you were unfortunate enough to encounter

Sorry to hear it, not a pleasant experience to have anything thrown at you.
    Now who thinks we should carry golf balls :twisted:
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    well i will blame the parents..... who will balme the schools....... who blame the goverment........ that we picked.

they do it as they can and they have no empathy for their fellow man something that alot of people suffer from.

on the side what do we get for the right answer ?
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • saveswalking
    saveswalking Posts: 144
    That was very unlucky - and a very lucky shot by the moron(s) in the car the little sh!t(s) :evil:
    Who drives around with (hard boiled?) eggs at hand anyway?
    Remember always wear a helmet!
    Y' never know ...

sw
  • Now who thinks we should carry golf balls :twisted:

Hmmm...I've often thought that a couple of those supersized steel marbles we used to play with as kids would be useful to have in your pocket. Think I would have launched about 6 or 7 at vehicles in the past 12 months!
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    Presume you have or are planning to report to plod?

Might not be anything done but they should do some investigation.

What if it had hit you straight in the face?

Glad to hear you generally ok.

Phil
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Tut tut! All this violence. don't you see you're as bad as they are if you meet violence with violence blah, blah, blah, blah!

Well no-one's said it yet! :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    There is, unfortunately, the odd sh1thead out there who thinks that kind of thing is entertaining. I once had a carton of chocloate milk thrown at me from a passing car. I was annoyed but the fact it was chocolate milk said it all about the offender :roll:

I'm glad to hear you are OK. You have been assaulted so should report it to the plod, although they may not be able to do much. Bear in mind that they might have done the same to other cyclists that day, who may have got a reg. number, so reporting it could be worthwhile.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Perhaps I should add that I have nothing against chocolate milk drinkers per se...

I merely alluded that the little barsteward was of an age where chocolate milk drinking is prevalent :wink:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Tut tut! All this violence. don't you see you're as bad as they are if you meet violence with violence blah, blah, blah, blah!

You need to get your violence in first

Attack anyone in a vehicle- driver or passenger

Attack anyone who you (un)reasonably think may use motor transport at some time in their lives

Pre emptive action
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Now who thinks we should carry golf balls :twisted:

Hmmm...I've often thought that a couple of those supersized steel marbles we used to play with as kids would be useful to have in your pocket. Think I would have launched about 6 or 7 at vehicles in the past 12 months!

Don't tempt me :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • robmanic1
    Just put me in charge, I can spot a wrong-un at 20 paces!

Did I read a statistic somewhere (or did I make it up) that you're 5 times more likely to be involved in an RTA with someone wearing a hat?

If that's the case let's outlaw yoofs and old folk (police, fire, toffs, bakers, deep-sea divers......hmmm, not thought this one through!)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    spen666 wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

Attack anyone who you (un)reasonably think may use motor transport at some time in their lives

Pre emptive action

Isn't this incitement?
    Isn't that illegal?
    Aren't you the pedantic ass pointing out where others are breaking the law?
    Are you a hypocrite?
    So many questions, so little time.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • robmanic1
    Not sure who's tongue is in who's cheek on this one???

• W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Robmanic1 wrote:

"Fight violence with violence,it's the only way to win" - Angry Anderson.
  • They're just a bunch of SOBs - they never do it alone. Don't know why - but they think it's funny and would probably tell their friends about it too. I just don't get it. Thanks for sharing it though - it happens to all of us no matter where you live.
  • saveswalking
    saveswalking Posts: 144
    spen666 wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

Pre emptive action

:P :):D :P :):D :P :):D

can't beat a bit of bitter sarcasm can you ?

sw