Logistical nightmare - help me resolve... please!

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Firstly, a few bullet points to sum up the situation:

- Currently renting (lodging) in London on a strict Mon-Fri only basis
- Travel home to Sussex at the weekends (currently by train)
- Planning to start riding my road bike home to Sussex on a Friday evening
- Work in West London and need to be in the office by 9am on a Monday morning
- Cannot take my bike back to London on the train at peak time on a Monday morning
- Cannot come back to London on a Sunday evening (I asked my landlady and got a stern rejection!)
- Don't have time to ride to work on a Monday morning and get to the office in time (unless I leave at 4 or 5am, allowing time for possible problems!)
- Even if I did have time I wouldn't have any clothes for work with me as I don't want to ride 60 miles with a pack/bag on my back, or use panniers!

So, as you can see I'm struggling to work out how I can plan this and make it work, rather than just bail on the idea! Can you see a way that this can work?? :shock: :?

Once I've got myself and the bike back up to London there's no issue as I've now been told I can keep the bike securely at work (I usually commute on a Brompton, and having now built my road bike my landlady has decided she doesn't want me to keep it at the house! :evil: ).

(I plan to move soon so hopefully this won't be a long-term concern!)

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    What is 'peak time' on your train line. Mine allows bikes on trains that arrive in London before 7:45
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Get a new landlady - she sounds like a miserable witch :lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Rich-Ti
    shazzz wrote:
    What is 'peak time' on your train line. Mine allows bikes on trains that arrive in London before 7:45
    That's a good shout - I'll check 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    shazzz wrote:
    7am :shock:

It is possible though - train leaves Worthing at 5:45... icon_yikes.gif
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Why not leave the bike in Sussex all week and leave work early on Fridays, get home at a decent time and go for a ride then?
  • Rich-Ti
    Coriander wrote:
    Why not leave the bike in Sussex all week and leave work early on Fridays, get home at a decent time and go for a ride then?
    Cos then I can't ride during the week! Plus I generally ride my MTB at weekends, and I can't often leave work early on a Friday :roll:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Ah!

Looks like it's the early train for you on Monday mornings. :shock: :(
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    Rich, this is not foolproof but I think your best bet is to get yourself into Brighton and then travel by First Comical Connect, sorry First Capital Connect. For the most part you'll be able to leave your bike propped up against the doors (hopefully without having to move it if all platforms are on they same side-this isn't always the case on ALL services) I don't think you will get as much hassle off the Revenue Protection staff as you would with a Southern Conductor. The only problem you would then have to contend with is the other commuters who might have a moan. You'll then have to "wing" it at the barriers but most staff are just happy to see your ticket and will let you through the gate. The major stations could be a problem so I'd try riding in from Elephant & Castle if you can manage to board one of those trains. All FCC commuter trains do get particularly packed though. Good luck mate, rather you than me.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Two other possible solutions...

1. Can you take a bike, minus wheels and pedals, on National Express coaches?
    2. How about car-sharing back on Monday am? There used to be a board in Infinity foods in Brighton where people offered and asked for lifts. You might be able to find someone who drives up in the mornings who's got a car big enough to take the bike?
    Good luck.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs