Ladies flat handlebar grip question

tomhammersley
tomhammersley Posts: 107
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi there,

My wife has recently started coming out on her bike with me, around the town and country lanes, and is finding her handlebar grips somewhat uncomfortable. They're very moulded plastic type grips, with little give or comfort.

Can anyone recommend some good comfortable grips? Would certain grips be more comfortable for men or women - eg do things like grip diameter have a significant effect?

FWIW, I have a spare pair of Cane Creek style bar ends I can add on too.

Thanks!

Comments

• julk
    julk Posts: 55
    Ergon grips are worth a look.
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    My wife can't stand the ergo grips on her Specialized Crossroads Elite. They really hurt her hands. I think she is just being a big girl about it to be honest.
  • Padded gloves?
  • Already using some padded gloves. Granted, we could find some better padded gloves, but I still think there is plenty of scope for improvement - the existing ones are just tough, hard moulded plastic with no give or softness.

How about the specialized D4W range?
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    I'd second ergon grips but they might be a bit big for her. Spesh do a body geometry version aimed at women. i bought them for my 70+ year old mother who finds they help with arthritic wrists.
  • Replace the grips with cork tape? That's squishy and not too fat.
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    Ergon, do a womans version, you need to take the time to adjust them properly, (a couple of rides or so) having said that mine hurt my hands too. :(
  • fatfreddy
    fatfreddy Posts: 332
    Mrs FF also used to have the same problem - changed to Thorn Anatomic bars (17 degree sweep back) and Ergon grips. Now she's talking about doing the C2C with me.
    FF
  • Thanks guys - some very interesting suggestions there!

I'll look into these Ergons, they look pretty good.