Just cycled up Alpe d'Huez

FullFrameRob
FullFrameRob Posts: 188
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
Well i did it last Friday Morning, got to the top and thought to myself, is that it.

Maybe its me but ADH wasnt the climb i was expecting it to be.

So my question to anyone that has done ADH, what did you think of the climb ?

Comments

1892 Posts: 1,690
    well done
    Justice for the 96
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Come on, what gears did you use !
  • FullFrameRob
    fossyant wrote:

Ok i was running a compact on my bike.

One thing i did notice was how flat the hairpins bends are & you dont really notice how steep the climb is untill you start the descent back to Bourg-d'Oisans
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 628
    If I was being unfair I'd say that it was a triumph of legend and marketing over substance.

It's a beast for the first couple of ramps but allows you into a nice rhythm thereafter and there is a sense of occasion about the corners named after each winner. The big surprise for me was that the stage end, which has a permanent marker, there was nobody there. All the tour groups seem to climb off at the bottom of the village and we had the place to ourselves for the whole time we were there.

For all the hype over Alpe D and the Galibier, my favourite out there has to be the Croix de fer/Glandon climb but the race never ends there, so it doesn't enjoy the same same history/kudos/baggage.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    nypd wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

One thing i did notice was how flat the hairpins bends are & you dont really notice how steep the climb is untill you start the descent back to Bourg-d'Oisans

Well done.

Hoping to give it a go next month, although I might have to get up very early to do it, it's TdF week I'm there and I don't want there to be lots of people around when I have to get off and walk!

I ride a triple and I still struggle to grind it up the hills round here, I live in Bedfordshire and there aren't many hills :oops:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    No seriously, what was the ratio's - never done it myself as I'm a Peak's fella myself and know what I can get away with here, but not the French monsters.....
  • FullFrameRob
    If I was being unfair I'd say that it was a triumph of legend and marketing over substance.

It's a beast for the first couple of ramps but allows you into a nice rhythm thereafter and there is a sense of occasion about the corners named after each winner. The big surprise for me was that the stage end, which has a permanent marker, there was nobody there. All the tour groups seem to climb off at the bottom of the village and we had the place to ourselves for the whole time we were there.

For all the hype over Alpe D and the Galibier, my favourite out there has to be the Croix de fer/Glandon climb but the race never ends there, so it doesn't enjoy the same same history/kudos/baggage.

Have to a agree with you about the Croix der Fer, i loved that climb. As i was cycling between Albertville & Bourg-d'Oisans i had the choice of the Glandon & Croix der Fer. As seen as the TDF are doing it this year i picked the Croix der Fer, found the last few Km after St-Sorlin-d'Arves to be a bit of a sting in the tail.

As for the TDF finish line at ADH it had a Tesco's car park feel about it.
  • FullFrameRob
    fossyant wrote:
    No seriously, what was the ratio's - never done it myself as I'm a Peak's fella myself and know what I can get away with here, but not the French monsters.....

I normally run a 53/39 x 12/27 on my bike when out cycling in the Peak District but decided to run a compact 50/34 x 12/27 for my stint in the Alps.

Looking back i could have got to the top without any problems useing a 39x27, but i mainly spun away on a 34 x 24/27 up ADH and took in the stunning alpine views.
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    rode alpe d huez last year 39X29 for the first 3k then roughly on 26/23 for the rest of the climb for me the first 3k were tough but loved the ride going back in 5 weeks to hopefully beat my time of 1.06 then im driving down to briancon the next day to ride the izoard & the day after that i will ride the madeleine 5 weeks cant come quick enough cmon :D
    cheesy quaver
  • st68
    the croix der fere is a beautiful ride gonna do that again as well i thought telegraph & galibier were a nice ride as well apart from it started snowing on the galibibier so i had to descent the summit a bit sharpish :shock:
    cheesy quaver
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    nypd wrote:
    Well i did it last Friday Morning, got to the top and thought to myself, is that it.

Maybe its me but ADH wasnt the climb i was expecting it to be.

So my question to anyone that has done ADH, what did you think of the climb ?

It depends how fast you were going i suppose. I did it 1999 the day after 90 miles to sestriere. Legs felt s**** and i only had 39/23 as my easiest gear. Mind you i was 57kg :D
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 628
    nypd wrote:
    Have to a agree with you about the Croix der Fer, i loved that climb. As i was cycling between Albertville & Bourg-d'Oisans i had the choice of the Glandon & Croix der Fer. As seen as the TDF are doing it this year i picked the Croix der Fer, found the last few Km after St-Sorlin-d'Arves to be a bit of a sting in the tail.

NYPD,
    does that mean that the north east side of it has now reopened? We descended that side last year on the final day of our tour and got diverted to the Col du Mollard and an extra 400m of climbing. The words sting in the tail come to mind too.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • 007stucumber
    007stucumber Posts: 671
    It's somewhat more difficult:
    - after 6 to 7 hours in the saddle
    - having climbed the Izoard and Lauteret
    - in the afternoon in 40C heat

I found the Marie Blanque (Escot) harder though ...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    st68 wrote:
    rode alpe d huez last year 39X29 for the first 3k then roughly on 26/23 for the rest of the climb for me the first 3k were tough but loved the ride going back in 5 weeks to hopefully beat my time of 1.06 then im driving down to briancon the next day to ride the izoard & the day after that i will ride the madeleine 5 weeks cant come quick enough cmon :D

1 hr 6 min corresponds to an average speed of 7.2 mph. In 39x26, that's a cadence of 60 rpm. I'd prefer a lower gear and higher rpm, but I guess it varies from individual to individual. I managed 1 hr 13 on a triple (30x25 and 30x23) hired bike, but then again I'm 108 kg!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • FullFrameRob
    nypd wrote:

NYPD,
    does that mean that the north east side of it has now reopened? We descended that side last year on the final day of our tour and got diverted to the Col du Mollard and an extra 400m of climbing. The words sting in the tail come to mind too.

Yes i would say that the north east side is now reopened. I did notice that there is still abit of construction work going off on the climb just after St-Sorlin-d'Arves. Like i said i did the climb from the side that the TDF is doing this year starting in St-Jean-de-Maurienne.

Off topic a bit but i also did the Col le la Bonnette on my way into Nice. Great climb, long but never too steep in my opinion, i did the side starting in Jausiers & the views from the top are just amazing.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    L'alpe is a bit of an anti-climax unless it's on the day of LeTour or the finish of LaMarmotte - there are plenty more challenging and picturesque climbs in the vicinity. Anything under the hour is good going.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'm hoping to cycle ADH (as well as the others mentioned) during the week of the tour's visit. I even seem to have been volunteered for a time trial up ADH...

Hopefully the camped out spectators will add to the atmosphere rather than just getting in the way!

Simon
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm hoping to cycle ADH (as well as the others mentioned) during the week of the tour's visit. I even seem to have been volunteered for a time trial up ADH...

Hopefully the camped out spectators will add to the atmosphere rather than just getting in the way!

Simon

I'm planning to attempt it later in the week when hopefully people will have started to make their way off the mountain!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    nypd wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

I'm staying at the top and have to 'notice' :shock: before I even start!
    39x27 that's what i'm riding with in 10 days.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    nypd wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

I'm staying at the top and have to 'notice' :shock: before I even start!
    39x27 that's what i'm riding with in 10 days.
    What day you there Mark?
    We are also staying at the top and probably going for a ride over couple of climbs on the thursday and as we are at the top will obviously have to climb ADH also :D
    Probably more than once :D
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    for anyone going over for the TDF (I will be there from Sat 19th to Sat 26th)

As well as D'Huez, here are some other nice rides in the immediate vicinity that I have done.

Allemont - Glandon - St Jean De Maurienne - Croix De Fer - Allemont

Allemont - La Berade - Allemont (very picturesque)

Allemont - Sechilliene - Col De Luitel - Vizille - Allemont (Luitel is a great climb)

Allemont - Alpe Grande Serrre - Sievoz - Valbonnais - Col D'Ornon

Also if you go over the back of ADH and over the Col De Sarenne you can loop back round to the Lauteret road.

My favourite climb is probably the Glandon from Allemont, it is so scenic.

I have done D'Huez a number of times including after the Izoard and Lauteret and have found a 39/23 to be ok for me. And i am just a 3rd cat roadie.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'll be there with a group staying in Bourg 20th-27th, so there's a pretty good chance that some of us will bump into each other I'd have thought. I'll be using a 39-27 I think, it got me through the Pyrenees ok, so should do the Alps... although I am still wondering whether I might be faster up the second and third climbs of the day if I had a 34-27 instead.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    celbianchi wrote:

I have done D'Huez a number of times including after the Izoard and Lauteret and have found a 39/23 to be ok for me. And i am just a 3rd cat roadie.

I'd love to know what speed you're doing up there in 39x23. If your time is not significantly under an hour then your cadence must be ridiculously low. Armstrong used 39x23 for the steeper parts of the climb during the ITT in 2004, and he did it in 37 min (~12-13 mph average speed).
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    DaveyL wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:

I'd love to know what speed you're doing up there in 39x23. If your time is not significantly under an hour then your cadence must be ridiculously low. Armstrong used 39x23 for the steeper parts of the climb during the ITT in 2004, and he did it in 37 min (~12-13 mph average speed).

Well, boys and girls, I know I won't be doing it in 37 mins!! :lol:
    I'll be there from thursday evening, all going well that is.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    DaveyL wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:

Under the hour to the TDF finish line, not superfast 59'01.
    I am not really a fast cadence kind of rider. Though I have been making an effort in races this season to increase my cadence.
    first time i did it I had a 25, used it and did 1hr 1 min 10 secs.
  • st68
    im stayin at ribot on hairpin 12 get there on saturday 2nd august staying for 7 nights an my new bikes lowest gear is 39X28 & the new bikes a kg lighter an hopefully i should be 2kg lighter @ 83kg but its not essential as long as i enjoy my week is all that matters :D
    cheesy quaver
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Did this on an mtb with full panniers a fews ago.Thank heavens for disc brakes :shock
    :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grossglock ... lpine_Road

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ckner.html
    bagpuss
  • st68
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Did this on an mtb with full panniers a fews ago.Thank heavens for disc brakes :shock
    but surely calipers would have been better ask reddraggon :wink:
    cheesy quaver
  • Peacenik
    Peacenik Posts: 292
    It's somewhat more difficult:
    - after 6 to 7 hours in the saddle
    - having climbed the Izoard and Lauteret
    - in the afternoon in 40C heat

I found the Marie Blanque (Escot) harder though ...

I'll second that.

Etape '06 is now fading into the past but my legs are still recovering.
    FCN - 3 (hairy-legged roadie)
    FCN - 6 (single speed)

http://adventuresontwowheels.blogspot.com/
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Well, I guess ADH just has a lot of history as its a big stage finish and also its kind of like a sanitised mountain. Not as wild as the Glandon, Galibier etc with Bourg at the bottom and the resort at the top. And as they've run time trials up there you can compare yourself directly to the greats. You can't do that as easily on other climbs.

As with most peaks, if you build them up they're never quite as good as you imagined. I was a bit underwhelmed by the Galibier which I did last Thursday. As others have said, I think the Glandon and Croix de Fer are amazing climbs. I just ordered a print from one of the snappers on the way up to the Glandon as the backdrop is spectacular.

I used my 34/28 extensively on the way up all of the above, and was very pleased to have it!