Dog Trailers?

solocp
solocp Posts: 285
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am looking for opinions on Dog Trailers. I am leaning towards the Burley purely due to its weight, but have seen the heavier Croozer at £100 less. Has anyone any experience of any dog trailer? I am concerned about weight and the quality of the hitch. Located in South East London I think I would prefer to buy from an LBS rather than online.

Comments

• Can't comment on either trailer, but I towed a BoB trailer 1/2 way round Western Aus & it was great.

Congrats on rather buy from LBS than on line. I thougt I was the only one who wanted to part with $$$ to get good service.

gb
  • solocp
    Well I've ordered a Burley. I couldn't find anyone local with one in stock so I ordered from Rutland Cycles via e-bay at a reduced price. Time will tell if it is a good idea and if the dog will get in it.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOO4Q1T069Y

Heres the latest innovation...
    jc
  • solocp
    The dog trailer arrived inside 3 days. It's a Burley Tail Wagon and the quality is very good. It tracks very eaisily and is very light. it took a few goes to get the dog in and he jumped out once and pulled the mesh side panel from the zipped rear panel and it had to be sewn back together. I'll have to use the hoops inside to secure him with a lead before I risk the trailer on the road but I'm hopeful I'll be off to the pub with the mutt soon.
    I'm impressed with the hitch and the weight of the trailer. A couple of years ago I did lejog with camping equipment on a steel tourer. I'd think about using a luggage trailer next time as even towing the dog in the park the same bike felt lively. Admittedly 1 mile isn't the same as 80. My thirteen year old daughter also pulled the trailer with my bike and said how easy it was.
    Rutland Cycles supplied this trailer via e-bay for £100 less than RRP and postage was less than a fiver. At just uner £200 it was a risk which may explain why there were no replies on here.
  • solocp
    I'm guessing that there are a few dog owners following this thread so thought I would post an update after 5 days (out of the last 6) of use. Initially the dog was scared to get in the trailer and was trembling when he was put in. Now he has been in it about 8 times he jumps straight in. So far he has only gone to the park so he is now associating the trailer with an enjoyable experience. Largely he lies down looking out of the back so it is not zipped up but he has jumped out once more.There are lead hoops so I need a short lead to stop him getting out. I have been on the road with my daughter cycling behind. Fairly confident now I'll be able to undertake longer journeys very soon. It was a risky purchase that looks like paying off.
  • solocp
    Anyone interested in an update? The dog now can't wait to get in the trailer. I don't tie him in and he waits to get out until he's told. We've been on the main road on a 2 mile journey to Crystal Palace Park. We've also been to the pub on a Sunday afternoon. He got in the trailer to come home as good as gold. I tend to tire him out before any longish journey by running him around the park first. It might not work for everyone but happily I've not wasted the £200. Now for a cargo trailer.
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Well done!
    I would like to do this but wouldnt have the nerve to keep the dog under control.
    I just think what he is like when he sees another dog when we are driving!
    I am a tad jealous though
    Peter
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Well done!
    I would like to do this but wouldnt have the nerve to keep the dog under control.
    I just think what he is like when he sees another dog when we are driving!
    I am a tad jealous though
    Peter
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    As it happens, I've just compiled a good list of ~20 trailers on my new website, including some dedicated dog trailers:
    http://bikenode.com/Bicycle-Accessories ... /Trailers/

EDIT: oh sorry you've already got one... that'll teach me for not reading the whole thread. :oops: