NOT which bike But what kind of bike question.

ma123
ma123 Posts: 87
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi Im 6'2 ft tall and 95 Kilo I currently have a Alu fairly heavy road bike and I want to upgrade, Ive been looking at the usual bikes Focus Cayo, Dolan Mythos & Bianchi 1885 Carbon rear but I have heard about weight limits on Carbon bikes should I go for something like the Bianchi or Full Carbon, Budget £1000 ish give or take.

I cycle twice a week between 70 - 90 miles and want to start doing some 100 mile sportives and maybe some time trails, any help given many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Some manufacturers state a weight limit, but it's more to cover their own backs in the event of failure. A lot of the bigger pro riders (Boonen, Hoshovd etc) are around the 80-85kg mark but will put more stresses through the frame. You should be okay at your weight with the majority of carbon frames, but may be best to stay clear of the sub 1kg ones.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Unless there is a specific weight limit published by the manufacturer you'd have to assume there isn't one. I had one a couple of years back and at 16 stone at the time I wasn't easy on bikes. Rode it for almost 2 years and had no problems. I agree with Slow Downcp though, it might not be the best idea to go ultra lightweight sub 1kg frames.
  • ma123
    ma123 Posts: 87
    Thanks for the replys the Focus Cayo is aprrox 1.2 Kg ish so I might go with that or try some bikes down the LBS, cheers.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd say that the weight of the frame does not necessarily indicate the strength of the frame. An Addict frame maybe stronger than a Cayo frame even though it's a good bit lighter (I couldn't say for definite either way though).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr