How do I get into racing?

goldenhitman1
goldenhitman1 Posts: 26
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I really enjoy cycling although it confuses me alot. How do I start racing properly? Not sportives but like Catergory racing, I just don't get it. I would appreciate any help.

Cheers.

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Well...the best thing to start with would be to join a club. When your just starting out, you don't want a full blown racing club, as the members probably won't have much time for someone who is starting out (they aren't bad people but they will want to focus on their own goals). Instead look for one where the members are mostly racing in smaller events and where there is also a good mix of sportif and club run riders (guys who take cycling seriously but have no intention of racing)

Then contact that club through e-mail/phone and try and gauge how friendly they are. There are lots of stories about clubs claiming they wanted new members, only to attempt to drop them on every ride.

The next step is to go for a ride with the club, now it's impossible for me to know if you're fit enough to race but if you go on a club run with some other reasonable riders, you'll soon realize where you fit in. IF it turns out that you aren't currently fit enough then DON'T worry, instead start training, I would say it takes me about 6 weeks hard training to go from no riding (due to GCSEs/AS-levels/A-levels) to racing with good form, so for someone who has been able to get out riding it could be alot less.

HOWEVER, you may well find that you are already very fit, in which case there are a number of things you will want to look into, firstly to buy British Cycling Membership and a Racing License, secondly some more practice in riding with a group (do some more club runs and join a chain gang if the club has one) finally, look for some local events, I would recommend short events which are only open to 4th cats to start with.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live