Should IPods (etc) be banned for pedestrians?

sc999cs
sc999cs Posts: 596
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
I use some shared cycle footpaths / magic white paint on pavement routes and my biggest problem is oblivious pedestrians who drift from side to side completely isolated from the world around them due to their IPod or other music player. I believe that safety would be drastically improved if IPods were banned for pedestrians? Do you agree?

Steve C

PS Don't get me started on pedestrians reading / sending text messages.
Steve C

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Why should Ipods be banned? Peds should be more aware perhaps.

Personally I'd avoid any shared facilities anyway, they tend to be covered in all types of crap (dog crap and ignorant chavs)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    Seconded.
  • campervan
    campervan Posts: 1
    I'm with banning shared paths.
    All pedestrians should be considered to be deaf and/or blind or just wee kids who dont know any better.
    I think the issue that we should address is the problem that the cars are displacing us from the roads, instead of the attitudes of the pedestrians.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Air Zound - no problem!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    This is one reason for not using shared paths. Even without ipods, walkmen &c. pedestrians don't associate the sound of a bell with the presence of a bike. If you want to make any kind of progress, if you find dogs a nuisance, if pedestrians in your way make you impatient, then don't use this kind of path at all.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    There are an awful lot of cyclists (or people on bikes, if that's preferable) who use ipods too. Personally, I'd sooner ban that.
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    _Brun_ wrote:
    There are an awful lot of cyclists (or people on bikes, if that's preferable) who use ipods too. Personally, I'd sooner ban that.

But you'd lose the beneficial evolutionary culling effect...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    meanwhile wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

But you'd lose the beneficial evolutionary culling effect...

Maybe, but I wouldn't consider it to be particularly beneficial if their lack of awareness caused me to be culled.